Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Opinions?

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
It turns out a local supplier here in Colombia can get this tire for me in size 235 55 R19. Does anyone have an opinion on fitting this tire to a 2020 CX-5?
It is slightly larger than the stock tires. Visually it looks like the traction it offers won't be any better than the stock tires in slippery unpaved conditions, something I was hoping for.

Its a great summer tire for asphalt and good paved roads. Size would be ok for the Cx5.
Only problem I see ia if you go on dirt roads and/with rain and mud on non paved roads.

Upvote 0
I’ve used that tire on other vehicles, it is a road tire with tread and construction optimized for pavement. A wonderful sporty tire with sharp handling and road manners. Traction in mud and sand etc. will be less than desireable, and the sidewalls may be more vulnerable to rock bruising than a dedicated M/S tire.

Upvote 0
I would get this for my street only Subaru WRX, but not for a CX5 that might see more than well paved streets.

Upvote 0
It turns out a local supplier here in Colombia can get this tire for me in size 235 55 R19. Does anyone have an opinion on fitting this tire to a 2020 CX-5?
It is slightly larger than the stock tires. Visually it looks like the traction it offers won't be any better than the stock tires in slippery unpaved conditions, something I was hoping for.
Have you tried your Mazda dealer and see if they offer any 225/55R19 SUV Touring all-season tires?

I agree with others, Michelin Pilot Sport 4 definitely isn’t suitable to your road conditions.

Upvote 0
Thank you guys. Very helpful replies indeed. The Mazda dealers here can only supply the original Toyo tires. Bummer. Following your comments on the Pilot Sport 4 I will check back with the Michelin dealer to see if they can get me a better tire for conditions here.

Upvote 0
When you say slippery do you mean wet or snow? Many people don't realize that a performance summer tire doesn't mean racing per se, and that a good performance summer tire (which PS4 is) will give you better performance/traction on the rain and wet surface than the best All Season. If by slippery you mean snow, then no, this won't help. As far as unpaved (which is what you really said) - I dunno. Also, there Michelin does have a PS4 SUV in OEM 225/55/19 that may be similar to the PS4.

Upvote 0
Thank you guys. Very helpful replies indeed. The Mazda dealers here can only supply the original Toyo tires. Bummer. Following your comments on the Pilot Sport 4 I will check back with the Michelin dealer to see if they can get me a better tire for conditions here.
Honestly, if the price on Toyo A36 225/55R19 from your Mazda dealer is as low as in the US ($148.30) vs. Michelin Pilot Spirt 4 ($291.04), I’d stick with A36 for the size and the price if you have no other better choice. After all A36 is not that bad of the tire (UTQG “300 A A”) comparing to SP4 (UTQG “320 A A”).

Upvote 0
Honestly, if the price on Toyo A36 225/55R19 from your Mazda dealer is as low as in the US ($148.30) vs. Michelin Pilot Spirt 4 ($291.04), I’d stick with A36 for the size and the price if you have no other better choice. After all A36 is not that bad of the tire (UTQG “300 A A”) comparing to SP4 (UTQG “320 A A”).
I politely disagree. People will spend hundreds on cargo mats, molding, fancy wheels, stereo upgrades and other mods. To me, the tires are the single most overlooked comfort and safety mod/upgrade. I'm spending every dollar I can afford on the best tire possible. In routine and emergency situations I'm looking for every incremental, even if marginal, advantage I can get.

Upvote 0
I politely disagree. People will spend hundreds on cargo mats, molding, fancy wheels, stereo upgrades and other mods. To me, the tires are the single most overlooked comfort and safety mod/upgrade. I'm spending every dollar I can afford on the best tire possible. In routine and emergency situations I'm looking for every incremental, even if marginal, advantage I can get.
My point is if almost every CX-5 owner with 19” tires can live with the Toyo A36 tires for the first 30K ~ 50K miles, why not keep using the A36 if there’s no other choices available, and the price is good? And IMO using factory specified tire size is also very important on any car speed related calculation for on-board computers, and wrong sized tires could even affect the safety.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmmm...much to mull over. Thank you all. I just wish I could find something with a little better grip than the stock tire. I of course never have to deal with snow but I do drive unpaved roads sometimes muddy as well as paved streets and highways. What I'm gathering here is that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV wouldn't be any better for my needs than than the stock Toyo A36 other than possibly wearing better. Well editing this it turns out Pilot is not available here in 225, only 235. I would like to stick with stock size for reasons pointed out by yrwei52.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmmm...much to mull over. Thank you all. I just wish I could find something with a little better grip than the stock tire. I of course never have to deal with snow but I do drive unpaved roads sometimes muddy as well as paved streets and highways. What I'm gathering here is that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV wouldn't be any better for my needs than than the stock Toyo A36 other than possibly wearing better. Well editing this it turns out Pilot is not available here in 225, only 235. I would like to stick with stock size for reasons pointed out by yrwei52.
If possible, try to contact all major tire brand distributors of importers, Michelin、Continental、Pirelli、Yokohama、Bridgestone、etc. in Colombia and see if they carry any 225/55R19 tires in the country. Hopefully you can find some, then compare it to the Toyo A36 and make a decision.

Another idea is you can try to order tires on Amazon and ship them to Colombia. Of course it depends on the local law and import duty, but the intentional shipping could be free if you’re the Prime member.

Upvote 0
What I'm gathering here is that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV wouldn't be any better for my needs than than the stock Toyo A36 other than possibly wearing better.
Based on “220 A A” UTQG from Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV, the treadwear is worse than Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (“320 A A”) and Toyo A36 (“300 A A”)

Upvote 0
I have no issues with my A36 tires on my MAZDA GTR. Clearly the best-tire-for the-dollar compared to any Michelin listed here. The A36 do very well here in the rainy season. Ed

Upvote 0
Based on “220 A A” UTQG from Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV, the treadwear is worse than Michelin Pilot Sport 4 (“320 A A”) and Toyo A36 (“300 A A”)
And the OP should know that PS4 are ultra high performance summer tires, and not CUV/SUV all season /3 season touring tires. They are like apples and oranges. I would expect that UHP summer tires would wear much more quickly than touring tires, sacrificing the tread compound for increased grip/street performance.

I know the OP country may be much more limited in tire choices, but at least get a sampling of the brands and models of tires that are in the same class as the OEM A-36 so that you are comparing apples to apples.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Mazda&autoYear=2021&autoModel=CX-5+AWD&autoModClar=Signature&width=225%2F&ratio=55&diameter=19&sortCode=57265&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=H&minLoadRating=S

Upvote 0
And the OP should know that PS4 are ultra high performance summer tires, and not CUV/SUV all season /3 season touring tires. They are like apples and oranges. I would expect that UHP summer tires would wear much more quickly than touring tires, sacrificing the tread compound for increased grip/street performance.

I know the OP country may be much more limited in tire choices, but at least get a sampling of the brands and models of tires that are in the same class as the OEM A-36 so that you are comparing apples to apples.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=0&autoMake=Mazda&autoYear=2021&autoModel=CX-5+AWD&autoModClar=Signature&width=225%2F&ratio=55&diameter=19&sortCode=57265&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=H&minLoadRating=S
Yes. My reply is only to treadwear concern OP mentioned. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV is the worst among tires discussed.

Upvote 0
I have no issues with my A36 tires on my MAZDA GTR. Clearly the best-tire-for the-dollar compared to any Michelin listed here. The A36 do very well here in the rainy season. Ed
Agreed. Although OE Toyo A36 may not be the best tire available for our CX-5 on 225/55R19, but the price is much lower than Michelin’s, only a half of Michelin Pilot Sport 4’s price in the US! In OP’s situation, Toyo A36 could be the best choice available everything considered.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for those helpful options. Pilot Sport 4 is off the table! There are no Michelins in stock size available anyway. A local dealer says he can get me Kumho in the correct size. I lost my notes but I think he said KL33s. Other tires that I can supposedly buy online (until they say "not available") are: Nanking SP9, Nitto 41Q, Rydanz RO6, Westlake SUi3 H/T and Totqu TQ-HP 701. At least in pictures the Nittos look good but I'm flying blind. Opinions on any of the above beginning with the Kumhos? Failing any of those I imagine I can get the original Toyos through my dealer.Thanks for any input.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for those helpful options. Pilot Sport 4 is off the table! There are no Michelins in stock size available anyway. A local dealer says he can get me Kumho in the correct size. I lost my notes but I think he said KL33s. Other tires that I can supposedly buy online (until they say "not available") are: Nanking SP9, Nitto 41Q, Rydanz RO6, Westlake SUi3 H/T and Totqu TQ-HP 701. At least in pictures the Nittos look good but I'm flying blind. Opinions on any of the above beginning with the Kumhos? Failing any of those I imagine I can get the original Toyos through my dealer.Thanks for any input.
The problem to compare tires between different regions is the model name can be different on the same tire. Among the tires you mentioned some of them do exist in the US market.

NanKang Cross Sport SP-9 with “560 A A” UTQG is available in the US, but not in size 225/55R19. NanKang Tire is the largest tire company in Taiwan by the way.

Kumho Crugen KL33 with “440 A A” UTQG is available in the US, but not in size 225/55R19 either. Kumho Tire is the second largest tire manufacturer in South Korea.

Nitto NT421Q with “640 A A” UTQG is available in the US on size 225/55R19. Its Load Range is XL (extra load) in 103V instead of usual 99V or 99H for the size 225/55R19. Nitto tires are made by Toyo Tire Corp. based in Japan.

WestLake SU318 H/T with “500 A A” UTQG is available in the US on size 225/55R19. WestLake tires are from the largest Chinese tire company, Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Co. Ltd.

And I don’t know the rest of tires you mentioned.

IMO, Nitto NT421Q would be my top choice with the benefit of XL load range, meaning stronger sidewall which is better for your road conditions. But the tire will be heavier, at 31.75 lbs. each, because of that. With “640” UTQG on treadwear rating the Nitto NT421Q should last twice as longer than its sister brand Toyo A36 which has only “300” UTQG on treadwear rating. Of course the price will be 50% more expensive based on the prices in US market.

Upvote 0
Thank you @yrwei52, that is a super informative response! Yes, I've seen that model names change for all sorts of merchandise. Going to try for the Nittos.

Upvote 0
Back