2023 CX-5 Spy pictures

I'm sure it's gonna look really nice but mostly I hope that Mazda finally upgrades their powertrain, specially the transmission. A bigger trunk will help as well and to add the touch screen.

What don’t you like about the transmission? It’s quick shifting, very efficient, great manual mode, the Sport function works wonderfully, the rev matching is awesome and it isn’t a CVT.

Mazda engineers have done a really nice job with the current tranny. The 6 speed is excellent but not that fuel efficient as the competition. An 8-10speed or a double clutch tranny nicely paired with a nice engine would be great. Current Rav4 and CRV get about 34-35 MPG on the Hwy. Mazda I believe is the only car manufacture still using a six speed tranny.

What don’t you like about the transmission? It’s quick shifting, very efficient, great manual mode, the Sport function works wonderfully, the rev matching is awesome and it isn’t a CVT.
At its current price point the CX-5 is hard to beat. Although, if it’s moving up market it’ll need a transmission with similar characteristics to that of the ZF transmission in BMW’s. The Mazda’s tranny feels like a Buick compared to the ZF.

I'm sure it's gonna look really nice but mostly I hope that Mazda finally upgrades their powertrain, specially the transmission. A bigger trunk will help as well and to add the touch screen.

Yeah, I think many of the cars they think are their competitors come with 8 or 9 speed transmissions. The rumors are the new Sky X inline 6 has a 8 speed transmission but I would bet that their "lower" offerings will come with the 6 speed - which is still better than a CVT.

Yeah, I think many of the cars they think are their competitors come with 8 or 9 speed transmissions. The rumors are the new Sky X inline 6 has a 8 speed transmission but I would bet that their "lower" offerings will come with the 6 speed - which is still better than a CVT.
It will likely be one automatic transmission for the whole line up.

Mazda engineers have done a really nice job with the current tranny. The 6 speed is excellent but not that fuel efficient as the competition. An 8-10speed or a double clutch tranny nicely paired with a nice engine would be great. Current Rav4 and CRV get about 34-35 MPG on the Hwy. Mazda I believe is the only car manufacture still using a six speed tranny.

The engine part, I think you will not be disappointed.

Mazda's transmission gets universally good reviews. I wouldn't trade for the others you've mentioned. They also have smaller engines.

I'd like a higher towing capacity. If the transmission is part of that, I'd be willing to trade off a little economy or acceleration and spend a little more for that. But most Mazda owners probably wouldn't.

I don't know, why 8-9 speed transmissions? Don't you run into issues where its hunting around for which gear it wants?

Personally I love the current 6-speed. Maybe not as fuel efficient as the competition anymore like it was in 2013, but damn is it fun to drive.

8-10-speed transmissions give wider spread of gear ratios.
This helps offline acceleration as well as fuel economy in highway cruising.
Modern AT can jump multiple gears on one shift.
Good programming (AI, grade logics, etc.) can choose right gears most of the times.

For manual, I don't see it go higher than 6-speed.

I don't know, why 8-9 speed transmissions? Don't you run into issues where its hunting around for which gear it wants?

Personally I love the current 6-speed. Maybe not as fuel efficient as the competition anymore like it was in 2013, but damn is it fun to drive.

Some 8-10 speed gearboxes are strange. Our Odyssey had a 9 speed (I think) and it was odd to say the least. When off the gas, it would change gears and often be in the wrong gear and almost stall out. Very bad and honestly, put me off Honda's.

8-10-speed transmissions give wider spread of gear ratios.
This helps offline acceleration as well as fuel economy in highway cruising.
Modern AT can jump multiple gears on one shift.
Good programming (AI, grade logics, etc.) can choose right gears most of the times.

For manual, I don't see it go higher than 6-speed.
Not all “modern AT” can choose the right gears. The ZF 9-speed in my last Jeep (also used in Hondas, Land Rovers, etc,) was not a nice gearbox. When cruising on the freeway you could floor the throttle expecting a gear change - it often took 2.5 seconds for anything to happen. A real POS transmission with dog clutches (in the 21st century?) although in manual mode it worked better.

That looks like the current CX-5 but uglier in my opinion. But most likely what it is going to look like.
Agree but I don't personally recall artist renderings being very accurate in the past and let's give Mazda more credit here...😁

Seems this rendering might be copying and pasting a bit from current models which can be contributing to the less than attractive appearance. Plus those front and rear vents (?) seem overly pronounced...That said, we'll see...🙂

Thanks for the share @jcrout7992

Don’t know but seeing the MX-30 in Europe and how ugly it is...I hope they have better design for the new CX-5 or 50.

Don’t know but seeing the MX-30 in Europe and how ugly it is...I hope they have better design for the new CX-5 or 50.
I hope for Mazda’s sake most people think it’s at least somewhat attractive :love:...”Ugly” is a bit harsh...I personally like it a lot, more so the more I see it.

That said, appealing to the mainstream seems incredibly difficult, so many differing opinions etc...Mazda knows this but at the same time they need a unique design that excites new as well as current owners.

I have faith that Mazda won’t disappoint with both the next gen CX-5 and new CX-50 addition.

I hope for Mazda’s sake most people think it’s at least somewhat attractive :love:...”Ugly” is a bit harsh...I personally like it a lot, more so the more I see it.

That said, appealing to the mainstream seems incredibly difficult, so many differing opinions etc...Mazda knows this but at the same time they need a unique design that excites new as well as current owners.

I have faith that Mazda won’t disappoint with both the next gen CX-5 and new CX-50 addition.

Yeah, I agree. When they first showed the pictures of the new Mazda 3 hatch, I was not a fan. But in real life, it looks much better. Feel the same way with the CX-30.

Back