The Car Care Thread

Just a heads up guys and gals. MTMhydroparts.com is running a 40% off sitewide (excluding heaters and heating accessories) sale. They're well known in the auto detailing world for their reliable foam cannons. I've been running a cheap $15 amazon cannon for a couple of years, and I'm treating myself to one of their kits and a few of their edgeless 460 GSM microfiber towels. If you buy them in the 3-pack, with 40% off, the price comes down to $2.60 per towel, which is a great price IMO.

Got my MTM order in :)

IMG_20201207_213809.jpg

I'm impressed by the foam cannon. The nozzle and dial have clean detents when you turn them, making this feel like a premium product. Can't wait to use it in the summer.

I’m surprised no one has mentioned Turtle Wax Ice Seal & Shine.
Phenomenal product.

I agree, from what I've seen in comparison tests it's quite durable given it's price point. There are a few who use it here, but this thread doesn't really get much traffic compared to other threads.

Just an example of what can happen when you use the foam brush at the coin-op wand wash, or when you wipe the car dry with the same towel you used to clean..

IMG_20210319_154404.jpg

IMG_20210319_154419.jpg

The truck is clean, but.. yikes.

Side job i did,
Clay bar, then with 6.5in DA buffer griots complete compound, turtle wax black polish and finished with turtle wax graphene wax. Its a friend's suv, 2013 Tucson thats never been in a garage nor really waxed outside of a drive through car wash wax.

Machine DA buffers make fast work of hard jobs.

Attachments

• 20210325_122032.jpg
    20210325_122032.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 20210325_121935.jpg
    20210325_121935.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 179
Side job i did,
Clay bar, then with 6.5in DA buffer griots complete compound, turtle wax black polish and finished with turtle wax graphene wax. Its a friend's suv, 2013 Tucson thats never been in a garage nor really waxed outside of a drive through car wash wax.

Nice! Sounds like you got a new buffer? If I remember right, you used to use a 10" orbital? Which buffer did you use this time?

Nice! Sounds like you got a new buffer? If I remember right, you used to use a 10" orbital? Which buffer did you use this time?
Yeah I still have it which I use for spray waxes since I don't like over spray lol.

I got the Bauer DA buffer from harbor freight. After doing some research, it is legit enough and works really well and consistent. With that being said, the harbor freight pads are complete trash. Chemical guys pads are much better.

Side job i did,

What do you think of the Turtle Wax Graphene Wax?

What do you think of the Turtle Wax Graphene Wax?

Just looked at my friends suv I did with that wax, its black and looked cleaner than mine in blue that I washed after hers lol. Next time I wax, im using it on mine. It might be my go to finish wax just from the results I got.

They sent me a video a few days ago of the rain beading off of it cause they were that impressed by it lol.

Currently, CG butter wax is my favorite finish wax but the turtle could change my mind.

Reactions: E_N
Just looked at my friends suv I did with that wax, its black and looked cleaner than mine in blue that I washed after hers lol. Next time I wax, im using it on mine. It might be my go to finish wax just from the results I got.

They sent me a video a few days ago of the rain beading off of it cause they were that impressed by it lol.

Currently, CG butter wax is my favorite finish wax but the turtle could change my mind.
nice

I've got a karcher so using below from a local detailing supplier...

Screenshot_20210405-194727_Samsung Internet Beta.jpg

I'm using the fireball range from Korea, Prefoam Hydrophobic snow foam

Will get some pics on the next wash.

I had a bit of free time earlier this week, so I clay barred the car. It needed it after a year and a half. Unfortunately we got hit with some snow the day after I finished, so I couldn't continue with the polish and wax. Instead, I used some Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax for some easy to apply last minute protection until the weather gets better.

Here's a quick video I took. It shows how you know when the paint could use a clay bar treatment. The clayed area (bottom half) is smooth, like running your fingers over glass. The non-clayed area (top half) sounds like I'm running my fingers over sandpaper.

Normally this "test" would be done with a sandwich bag over my hand to ensure I don't accidentally create some swirl marks, but I plan to polish and wax anyway, so no big deal.

I had a bit of free time earlier this week, so I clay barred the car. It needed it after a year and a half. Unfortunately we got hit with some snow the day after I finished, so I couldn't continue with the polish and wax. Instead, I used some Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax for some easy to apply last minute protection until the weather gets better.

Here's a quick video I took. It shows how you know when the paint could use a clay bar treatment. The clayed area (bottom half) is smooth, like running your fingers over glass. The non-clayed area (top half) sounds like I'm running my fingers over sandpaper.

Normally this "test" would be done with a sandwich bag over my hand to ensure I don't accidentally create some swirl marks, but I plan to polish and wax anyway, so no big deal.
Did you find that the claybarring caused marring to any degree?

so here's something I have never done. I was cleaning my brothers car and saw the exterior was never washed. So I diluted Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel cleaner with a bit of water and sprayed down the exterior. Did a good job removing all the grim and hasn't seemed to effected the paint in a negative way at all.

so here's something I have never done. I was cleaning my brothers car and saw the exterior was never washed. So I diluted Chemical Guys Diablo Wheel cleaner with a bit of water and sprayed down the exterior. Did a good job removing all the grim and hasn't seemed to effected the paint in a negative way at all.
CG stuff is typically PH balanced so it "shouldnt" effect your brothers paint. Now what I guarantee it did is it stripped away anything remaining that could be helping protect the clear coat. Hopefully you rinsed it very well and applied something to help protect the paint after that or your brother should expect to see fade shortly.
Edit: not necessarily due to your wash but his lack of ever washing/protecting the paint

Back