2021 CX-5 Bose upgrade questions

All, just got a new 2021 grand touring cx-5 with the 10-speaker Bose stereo. I think it’s ok - but could use upgrading. However, in reading posts pre-2021, it sounds like there are challenges with Bose playing well w add-on speakers. It’s the quietest car I have ever owned, but is there value in additional insulation in the doors? I’d like to keep the head unit, but interested in options with or without additional amplification. Any initial thoughts?

Spend the money on sound deadening your doors. Start there.

Like @CX5_Driver said, sound deaden the doors. To give more insight into why replacing the speakers with the Bose amp may cause problems, it's primarily two reasons, IMO:

1.) Speakers with odd impedances. Speakers are generally around 3.2-3.9 ohms. Woofers are like... 2.1 ohms according to a wiring sheet I have. The subwoofer is 1.9? Ish? Something like that.

2.) Bose amp does NOT push out a lot of power. An installer in the Pacific Northwest believes it to be about 20 something watts for the speakers and about 40-50 watts to the woofers and sub (lower impedance).

Sound dampening the doors will reduce a LOT of the muddy sounds from the front woofers bringing out the tweeters and center channel. You may end up liking the system. Personally, I do not think that replacing the speakers are necessary for the MAJORITY of people. A good sounding car does not require aftermarket speakers or high end ones. Most of the good sound comes from DSP work, to which, Bose actually does within the amplifier. Time alignment being the major one. I believe there may be some crossover work as well.

Sound dampen first to see if you like what the standard system does. I ended up being happy with the way the tweeters/center channel sound. Much clearer, as the muddy woofers were reduced as well as the door vibrations. Really helped. I'll be installing a DSP/Amp using the factory Bose amp as an upmixer (basically) to retain Bose's time alignment and the 5.1 effect. I feel a little bit more power and the ability to EQ each speaker is going to make me happy with the system. By standard, the tweeters are neutral sounding (which is my preference) and not tinny or bright.

Interesting. Everything I read or see on YouTube says get new speakers, but I guess that’s the natural response. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and nuanced responses. “Muddyness” is probably my biggest complaint, and your experiences point to a reasonable, and less costly, solution. Much appreciated!

Interesting. Everything I read or see on YouTube says get new speakers, but I guess that’s the natural response. I appreciate your thoughtfulness and nuanced responses. “Muddyness” is probably my biggest complaint, and your experiences point to a reasonable, and less costly, solution. Much appreciated!
If the muddy response is your biggest complaint (mine as well), then after dampening the doors, replace the woofers with better, efficient ones. Note to seek out high sensitivity (at minimum 91) and lower RMS rating. I can also suggest utilizing a 2ohm woofer to closely match factory specs for the amp. That's what I would recommend at least, if you want to purchase speakers. Without dampening though, I don't believe replacing the speakers are going to net a decent upgrade. Not enough power.

I'm hoping that adding an 80hz HPF will help the muddiness when I install my DSP/Amp. At the same time, I'm sure this is going to make me want more bass. xD

Even if you upgrade speakers amp etc. You would still gain a much improved sound experience by using sound deadening materials to rear wheel arches , boot and inside doors - before I upgraded my factory unit I did quite a lot of this work and noticed the difference immediately - I have still got to complete doors - some even say deadening the actual door cards gives a marked improvement. Only problem for me is I got hooked and fitted some JBL s and an amp - then felt additional power left bass lacking - enter JBL bass hub in boot space saver - followed by upgraded front tweeters - helix DSP . List goes on , but definitely, definitely start your travel with sound deadening for an instant improvement and neutralise those cheap muddy paper woofers and then decide whether the stock system is to your taste - it’s really a case of horses for courses on what you decide is for you and your ears 😏 -Phil 🇬🇧

I bought a brand new CX-5 2021 with bose 10 speakers. I will eventually swap the whole stereo system. For now I'm trying to find wires (before AMP) that I could tap into to use my own amp for a proper subwoofer.
I have read a lot of threads and no one could give this information.
Im after pictures or description of the location of the right wires. Colour codes. Practical stuff.
Please if anyone actually know shine the light on the issue.

@antonkash

is this post not enough? very doubtful anything changed for 2021 or 2022, but one you have it apart you will verify pretty quickly.

Back