What have you done to your CX-5 today?

A manual CX-5? What MY is it? There’s no new manual CX-5 for sale in the US right now. From pictures you posted it seems to be a 2016(.5) CX-5 FWD Sport.

It’s nice that you can keep “some” of the steering wheel controls with your aftermarket Sony head unit.
It’s a 2014. Was hoping for a 2016 (last year they offered a manual transmission) but hadn’t seen a low mileage example close enough to me in the last six months or so...

Using the correct interface, you can keep *all* of the steering wheel controls, plus add additional custom controls. And then, you can go another step further, and even get real gauges like water temp, instead of just having an idiot light.

View attachment 296424
I guess I should’ve chosen a better word than “some.” I was able to retain every steering wheel control (seek up/down, volume up/down, mute). Info button remained unchanged.

My Ultragauge — the thing you see mounted in front of the hazard switch/vent — has all the “gauges” I need. Recognizes 65+ readouts from the OBDII, I just haven’t done a great job at optimizing the front page to display the ones I want.

I guess I should’ve chosen a better word than “some.” I was able to retain every steering wheel control (seek up/down, volume up/down, mute). Info button remained unchanged.

My Ultragauge — the thing you see mounted in front of the hazard switch/vent — has all the “gauges” I need. Recognizes 65+ readouts from the OBDII, I just haven’t done a great job at optimizing the front page to display the ones I want.
Which interface did you go with? I'm running an iDataLink Maestro RR with my Kenwood in my CX-5.

In my MZ5, I have a PAC RP4-MZ11. The PAC isn't as nice as the iDataLink, but in the MZ5, the extra stuff wasn't needed.

Which interface did you go with? I'm running an iDataLink Maestro RR with my Kenwood in my CX-5.

In my MZ5, I have a PAC RP4-MZ11. The PAC isn't as nice as the iDataLink, but in the MZ5, the extra stuff wasn't needed.
I used the Metra Axxess ASWC-1. Was easy enough to install and works great. The Sony unit allows for custom button configuration but I’m certainly just fine with the stock button functions.

I used the Metra Axxess ASWC-1. Was easy enough to install and works great. The Sony unit allows for custom button configuration but I’m certainly just fine with the stock button functions.
Cool. I always forget that Metra makes one, too.

Today old Blu got the following

Washed
Hood struts
New Michelins - 255/50/19

Attachments

• New 2.0.jpg
    New 2.0.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 190
  • New 3.jpg
    New 3.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 167
  • New 4.0.jpg
    New 4.0.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 197
  • New.jpg
    New.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 184
  • Old tires 2.0.jpg
    Old tires 2.0.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 192
  • Old tires 3.jpg
    Old tires 3.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Old tires 4.0.jpg
    Old tires 4.0.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 176
  • Old tires.jpg
    Old tires.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 177

Nice to know that info. (y)

There was rain in my area and got mud and light debris on mine - so it was car wash day recently and it looks as good as new.

What kind of rear shocks? New rear springs too?

Do you need to separate lower control arm to install the rear shock on your 2019 CX-5 GT-R?
The Corksport drop springs and the Godspeed camber arms were previously installed...Today was a set of bilstein b6 shocks.

When removing the shocks, it’s easier to drop the control arm and take the spring out. Not sure if you can do it any other way.

Replaced front pads & rotors on our 16.5 cx5 touring this weekend while I was swapping the summer wheels/tires on. The rotors were causing some pulsing during stops so went ahead and changed everything out. 105.5k miles on original pads & rotors with even wear 4mm inside and 5mm outside pads remaining. Those could've gone another 30k miles I think.

Raybestos element3 pads & coated rotors.

Job was very straightforward and easy. 14mm caliper pin bolts, 17mm bracket bolts. Rotors popped right off when the m8 x 1.25 bolt was screwed into extractor hole. Caliper slide pins were free moving and boots were intact. Gently push the caliper piston back in with a c-clamp and wire brushed the pad seats in the bracket and installed new "clips" and the pads popped easily in. I've been impressed with how easy Mazda's have been to work on.

Should be good for another 100k miles

Replaced front pads & rotors on our 16.5 cx5 touring this weekend while I was swapping the summer wheels/tires on. The rotors were causing some pulsing during stops so went ahead and changed everything out. 105.5k miles on original pads & rotors with even wear 4mm inside and 5mm outside pads remaining. Those could've gone another 30k miles I think.

Raybestos element3 pads & coated rotors.

Job was very straightforward and easy. 14mm caliper pin bolts, 17mm bracket bolts. Rotors popped right off when the m8 x 1.25 bolt was screwed into extractor hole. Caliper slide pins were free moving and boots were intact. Gently push the caliper piston back in with a c-clamp and wire brushed the pad seats in the bracket and installed new "clips" and the pads popped easily in. I've been impressed with how easy Mazda's have been to work on.

Should be good for another 100k miles
I did all 4 of mine this winter around 35K. Probably would have lasted as long as yours. It was way earlier than necessary, but I figured if I'm going to open them up, might as well have parts on hand. With parts on hand, might as well swap them in :) since otherwise I'd be storing them for years.

Not a vehicle-specific mod, but my Uniden R3 arrived today. I’ve gone without a RD since ‘16, so it’ll take some getting used to. I don’t play “fast and furious” out on the roads— it’s more for awareness when I’m just a bit over the limit.

I’m going to either tap into the rear view mirror power or run Uniden’s hardwire kit to place the mute button somewhere convenient, but I’m open to anyone who has a suggestion for a mirror mount (or mount near the mirror). I saw blendmount makes a decent mount, but it’s also $100+.

Upcoming...

Tint
Swap oem 19s for Carbon Edition black wheels (oem)
Window visors/vents (oem)

Long term planning...

Lowering (research phase)
CS exhaust
CS SRI (I very much want more turbo sounds)

Last edited:
Back