Normal CX-5 engine noise? Just noticed yesterday

:
2019 Cx-5 sport
Hey all, 2019 CX-5 sport with 2,300 miles on it, bought brand new 2 years ago.

Just noticed this ticking noise while driving through parking lot, and thought,
is that my CX-5 making that noise? Got home, checked yesterday and today and
the noise is still there. I don't remember this noise when I bought the vehicle, a loud ticking and rattling sound.

Will be taking it to local dealer Monday, but I've taken it for other noises over the past couple of years and both lead mechanics that I've talked to say 'they all do that' and maybe I just never noticed this noise before..?

Thanks for any info.
Joe

Attachments

• PXL_20210327_151400642.mp4
    14.7 MB
Solution
Ok, update, went back to dealer, talked to sales lady that sold me the cx5...Told her about the ticking noise and was wondering if she'd let me listen to a new cx5 with hood up. She said no problem. She started up a 2021 sport and I had mine a few feet away...My cx5 was warmed up, the 2021 sport was a cold start.

We both thought my cx5 was a little louder, but the new 2021 ticking was coming from the same area as mine. So, guess, it's just the noisy fuel injectors like several mentioned above.

Thanks for all the help and information.
This is how mine sounds, cold start. I consider it normal and it pretty much sounds like yours does. My camera is directional and does amplify the sound a little bit.

Upvote 0
This is how mine sounds, cold start. I consider it normal and it pretty much sounds like yours does. My camera is directional and does amplify the sound a little bit.

The engine sound of yours is similar to mine. But from OP’s short recording the ticking noise presumably from high-pressure fuel injectors is a lot more obvious than normal.

Upvote 0
Oh, I wonder to those that change there own oil, when you fully drain oil and put
new filter on and if you add 4.8 qt...like it says in manual , where is the fill line ?
middle of 2 holes or right at top hole ? just wondering ...

So, sorry for the long story ... but at least I learned a few things ....

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone....
guess I can go back to just washing and waxing cx5 for now .. :)
I add 5 quarts + 425cc (A hair under 5.5) to have the oil at the full mark. 4.8 quarts will be just below the center marks since 5 quarts is at the center. For one forum user 5 quarts does put him at the full mark which is sort of a mystery to me.

Upvote 0
It’s the OP who described the question as he just noticed the ticking noise he didn’t hear before. It’s a behavior change from the engine and it’s good he sounded an alarm and asked the question. From the recording the ticking noise is indeed loud comparing to my 2.5L, definitely not normal to me.

How many times when a car owner bring up a possible problem, and the service tech at the dealer says “it’s normal!”? I myself have to fight many times to get problems fixed under warranty, or not to get them fixed sometimes!

Since we can’t hear the noise OP was described in person, the best way to make sure there’s no issue to anything is to have the OP doing a comparison to another CX-5 with the same engine. He’s the best person to tell if his engine sounds the same like the other.

You definitely didn’t read or follow that long thread about fallen rocker arm on cylinder deactivation equipped 2.5L. Everybody involved the conversation there knows people should do a WOT test to their 2.5L in question as the falling rocker arm safety recall by Mazda doesn’t do any actual inspection to the rocker arms on cylinder #1 and #4. Unfortunately the engine will behave normally even if a rocker arm has fallen according to several CX-5 owners who had the engine replaced with rocker arm fallen including the OP of that thread Go Hawks. It’s a good test doing a WOT to the engine in question making sure all rocker arms are in proper position as they’re supposed to. And this’s an easy way to tell if you have any rock arms fallen or not. The recall won’t do anything good on this. The WOT test suggestion is intended to save people’s life, because we don’t want anyone to experience what Go Hawks had experienced, his CX-5 almost got a head-on collision while passing on a two-way highway and lost the engine power suddenly!

Yes I’ve most certainly followed the CD threads, the instances of the engine power issue were exceedingly rare and remedied immediately once the programming fault was discovered. There are hundreds of thousands of Mazda 2.5L CD engines on the roads, the reliability of the engine is top notch.

But no doubt the OP has been influenced by the negative 2018+ CX5 bashing threads that are found here, some folks don’t like the technology and that’s their right. But the agenda is clear, it’s to make every owner with a 2018+ CX5 live in fear each noise is an indication of impending doom. In fact the vocal minority goes out of their way to dissuade people from purchasing newer CX5’s.
Based on the sound the OP posted, there was nothing at all out of the ordinary, which was verified with a trip to the dealer.

Information discussion is wonderful, we all learn a lot from the sharing of ideas, there is value in CD threads. What is not being ever talked about it how Mazda has done an incredible job with this engine and how solid reliable it truly is. Check the long term reviews and Consumer Reports and all give heaps of praise for these cars reliability.

Upvote 0
”I like to swaddle myself in the warmth of a propaganda-driven high-fear lifestyle.” This kind of thinking is far too prevalent in today’s world.

Upvote 0
Yes I’ve most certainly followed the CD threads, the instances of the engine power issue were exceedingly rare and remedied immediately once the programming fault was discovered. There are hundreds of thousands of Mazda 2.5L CD engines on the roads, the reliability of the engine is top notch.

But no doubt the OP has been influenced by the negative 2018+ CX5 bashing threads that are found here, some folks don’t like the technology and that’s their right. But the agenda is clear, it’s to make every owner with a 2018+ CX5 live in fear each noise is an indication of impending doom. In fact the vocal minority goes out of their way to dissuade people from purchasing newer CX5’s.
Based on the sound the OP posted, there was nothing at all out of the ordinary, which was verified with a trip to the dealer.

Information discussion is wonderful, we all learn a lot from the sharing of ideas, there is value in CD threads. What is not being ever talked about it how Mazda has done an incredible job with this engine and how solid reliable it truly is. Check the long term reviews and Consumer Reports and all give heaps of praise for these cars reliability.
Even if the fallen rocker arm is rare before the PCM update from the recall, it doesn’t mean it isn’t a serious issue because when it happens, your life may be in danger. Nobody can guarantee it won’t happen to the OP here, unless he did some WOT test to make sure. The problem is serious or Mazda won’t initiate a safety recall.

When Go Hawks started his thread reporting the dangerous situation his wife and he encountered during their road trip, and his frustration dealing with Mazfa North American Operations about the issue, some here was also questioning his motive.

The fault by Mazda doing the recall IMO is they don’t inspect the condition of the rocker arms for the recall procedure. Mazda should at first have a visual on rocker arms using an endoscope or open the valve cover, then do the PCM update. Or at least do a WOT test for 20 seconds making sure the rocker arms haven’t dislodged. For long term resolution Mazda should use a small spring clip that holds the rocker to the lifter like most others so that there is no chance of rocker falling off. But Mazda did none of above.

SkyActiv-G 2.5L is a good engine, but it doesn’t mean it’s perfect with no issues. Mazda has to modify and add many components to engine、transmission、and even the exhaust system with more complexity for cylinder deactivation which has very minimum 0 ~ 1 EPA fuel economy rating gains. The history of bad reputation on CD doesn’t looks good for long-term reliability either. In 3 years Mazda has issued 1 recall and at least 3 TSBs or Service Alerts for CD related problems. Hydraulic lash adjusters mainly on cylinder #1 and #4 are another major issue although the problem is not so much safety related.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
”I like to swaddle myself in the warmth of a propaganda-driven high-fear lifestyle.” This kind of thinking is far too prevalent in today’s world.
You’re entitle to your opinion that when people are giving their honest opinion to someone posing his doubt about some engine noise, it’s “propaganda-driven”; just like those questioning Go Hawks’ motive in his thread.

And everything from Mazda has to be perfect ⋯

Upvote 0
The noise sounded different from OP’s, here’s typical tapping / ticking noise caused mainly by switchable hydraulic lash adjustors on cylinder #1 and #4 on the 2.5L with CD, posted by jdoub1331:

CX-5 engine rattle

And bucko2885 eventually had HLAs replaced on his 2018 CX-5 with cylinder deactivation based on the TSB / Service Alert with valve tapping noise:

So, just to update and especially for Canadian owners, I just received results and
after conversations my dealer had with Mazda Canada, they will replace the hydraulic lash adjusters on my vehicle. It took being abe to leave the cx5 overnight at the dealership when the temps went down to below -10C. They were then able to duplicate the noise I have been dealing with and agree its not injectors, air in the HLA's etc. Canadian dealerships dont appear to be aware of the Service Alert No.: SA-012/19. In fairness this alert is US based and kudos to my dealership for speaking with Mazda Canada to get direction on this.

Parts are coming from the USA which again leads me to believe it hasnt been as prominent a problem in Canada. Main thing is to be persistent if you have this noise occurring until it gets resolved.
Unreal.

and that is not the same noise that i am having to deal with that is a rapid clicking noise . The metal on metal tapping noise I have is a completely different animal and is occurring on the top passenger side of the engine right under the top cover no wheres near the HP fuel pump. As I have posted , the mazda technician has already identfied it as failing Hydraulic Lash Adjusters and i am scheduled to have mine replaced. That timing retard diaspears quickly once the cats heat up but the metal on metal sound is more prominent and doesnt go away until the engine fully heats up after about 15 mins
It needs fixed. It’s a hydraulic lifter that opens and closes the cylinder valves and during cold weather allowable space tolerance between the two pieces of metal becomes to large and the noise is the metal surfaces hitting each other. Most ticking/ metal on metal sounds from engines should never to be treated as just annoying and need checked out . Diesel engines have always had a knocking sound from their design using injectors and pressurized fuel systems however gasoline engines for the most part should run quiet especially in their early lifespan

Upvote 0
I add 5 quarts + 425cc (A hair under 5.5) to have the oil at the full mark. 4.8 quarts will be just below the center marks since 5 quarts is at the center. For one forum user 5 quarts does put him at the full mark which is sort of a mystery to me.
A full 5L jug will fill my 16.5 2.0L to the full mark as it is a smaller engine.

Upvote 0
A full 5L jug will fill my 16.5 2.0L to the full mark as it is a smaller engine.
The oil capacity with oil filter replacement from Mazda specs for 2.0L is 4.4 US quarts / 4.2 L. You use 5.28 qt / 5L jug of oil to reach the Full mark, which means you need additional 0.8 L / 0.88 qt more than Mazda stated, a 20% difference from the spec.

Upvote 0
guess mine sounds like both those videos myfirstmazda posted..
except his sounds louder than mine , considering he's about
5'-6' away and I was about 2-3' away ... plus guess it depends on
how good your microphone is on cell phone

5.5 qts to be at the full mark with sport ... ok , good to know ...
So, I'd probably just put in 5 qts...

Just a note, I've never floored this vehicle until monday , so my rocker
arm could have fallen off over the past 2 years.... but the question is ,
once you do the 'italian tune-up' can't the rocker arm fall off then and
there ? I've had the pcm update on july 10 2019 and bought the cx5 on
apr 5 2019 .. new..

Upvote 0
The oil capacity with oil filter replacement from Mazda specs for 2.0L is 4.4 US quarts / 4.2 L. You use 5.28 qt / 5L jug of oil to reach the Full mark, which means you need additional 0.8 L / 0.88 qt more than Mazda stated, a 20% difference from the spec.
Sorry, I think I meant 5 qt. Jug, not 5L.

Upvote 0
guess mine sounds like both those videos myfirstmazda posted..
except his sounds louder than mine , considering he's about
5'-6' away and I was about 2-3' away ... plus guess it depends on
how good your microphone is on cell phone
Yes, there’re too many variables to diagnose the car problems online. Since your 2019 CX-5 Sport has only 2,300 miles, chances having any problems are minimum. Your short video when you took the recording was too close to the engine top, which definitely amplified the fuel injector’s ticking noise. You still can listen to the engine sound from another CX-5 to verify next time you visit the dealership.

5.5 qts to be at the full mark with sport ... ok , good to know ...
So, I'd probably just put in 5 qts...
For your 2.5L, you want to put in 5.2 quarts first if you want the oil level to be at the Max / Full mark of the dipstick. You can add a bit more if the oil level is not high enough. For most 2.5L’s, 5.5 quarts would be too much unless you drain you oil overnight with the CX-5 in proper angle. 5 quarts is fine as long as you understand the oil level won’t be at the Max / Full mark. Check your oil level often to understand if you engine is burning any oil.

If you decide to DIY on oil change, I’d suggest to use OEM oil filter. Strangely Mazda offers 2 lines of OEM maintenance parts (again, different from everybody else). I wouldn’t use OEM “Value Products” MV oil filter just to save a couple of bucks. Search the forum and there’re plenty of info on this matter.

PE01-14-302A-MV (Value Product) Oil Filter?

apr 5 2019 .. new..
So far nobody has reported rocker arms have fallen after the recall, so it’s safe to say it shouldn’t happen to you after you did the the first WOT test. You can always try another WOT test keeping the RPM at 5,500 for 15 ~ 20 seconds in low gear at a safe environment to verify. In the meantime you did another “Italian tune-up” and burned some carbon deposits off. ;)

Upvote 0
apr 5 2019 .. new..
It sounds like you're asking if keeping the vehicle floored like you did could be something more likely to detach the rocker arm, and are concerned about doing it. The official statement from Mazda is that the detached rocker arm issue was identified to occur during the transition from deactivation (of 2 cylinders) to full cylinder operation.

No one here knows for certain if that's the complete and honest story, but it's all we have right now. So if you accept what they wrote, then it's important to note that they also made no mention of vehicle speed or acceleration. This would lead one to believe that pushing the vehicle like you did does not make it any more likely to detach a rocker arm, than any other (possible) transition out of CD.

Any modern engine should be perfectly capable of being pushed as you did, repeatedly over and over again. And as yrwei52 mentioned above, there have so far been no reports of a detached rocker arm on a CD vehicle with the recall computer update in place. So my advice is to continue doing these Italian tune-ups periodically, always in a safe driving environment of course. We're not expecting any problems, but if a rocker arm ever does unexpectedly detach, you certainly want that to happen while your vehicle is still under warranty.

Upvote 0
I was thinking of Unobtanium from this post. He has a 2.5L.
New to Mazda
He has a 2.5T which has an official capacity of 5.1 quarts with oil filter replacement. Unobtanium says his 2.5T needs 5 quarts but many others say the 2.5T needs 5.5 quarts to get to the Max mark.

Upvote 0
I had mine above 5K today for about 4 seconds, merging onto the highway in normal mode. It is fun. It can't hurt the engine. Like yrwei52 says, we don't really know what the exact condition was to throw the rocker. Reving the engine under load without going into limp mode proves that the rockers are in place, the rocker wouldn't be dislodged driving this way working all 4 cylinders.

Upvote 0
I was reading this thread and it seems to be the ticking is attributed to the cylinder deactivation. In another forum, there was a thread on ticking that was high pressure fuel line bracket. Just a shot in the dark....

High Pressure Fuel Line Bracket
No, not at all. I pointed out that OP’s ticking noise is different from HLA issue related to CD, and the ticking noise resembles more to high-pressure fuel injectors in post #2 and #8. And the head mechanic at OP’s Mazda dealer confirmed it in post #12.

Upvote 0
Back