2013~2016 Anyone install Ruthenium Spark Plugs yet?

I haven't had a chance to do anything since the weather has been pretty terrible lately, with snow and rain every weekend. I'll probably get to it within the next 1-2 weeks but for now, I can say that my fuel economy has been dipping to 19.7 MPG with the Ruthenium's.

3/13 Update: Installation of the OEM Laser Indiums at 72,898 miles.

Observation:
  • There appears to be more black deposits (carbon deposits?) around the perimeter of the cylinder. Looking back at the previous photos before changing to the Ruthenium's, it looked very clean.
  • Haven't test driven anything yet, so no updates on MPG or how the car feels but I do have the resistance of the Rutheniums now that they're out. They're within the OEM resistance specs of 3.0 - 7.5 kOhms (kΩ).
Rutheniums

NameResistance (kOhms/kΩ)
Bank 14.24 - 4.27
Bank 24.31 - 4.32
Bank 34.08 - 4.09
Bank 44.72 - 4.73

20210313_145510.jpg
20210313_145813.jpg
20210313_145606.jpg

Did you drive the car over the weekend/Monday?
Yes, I haven't had a chance to do a full fill up yet so no comment on the gas MPG but in terms of going back from the different types of plugs, it seems like the Iridium's are more smooth/refined when accelerating. The difference isn't massive but it's subtle enough to notice the change.

Reactions: AVC
The difference isn't massive but it's subtle enough to notice the change.
I relaize you probably haven't gotten through a tank to comment fully on MPG, but any other drivability opinions since you've driven it a bit more (we assume)?

I relaize you probably haven't gotten through a tank to comment fully on MPG, but any other drivability opinions since you've driven it a bit more (we assume)?
I honestly think there's not much of a difference in terms of driving dynamics. It's probably not really worth testing out unless you have a turbo but for the CX-5 2.5L, no real discernable difference.

I think I'm going to try out these myself. Give us some more data. Did your MPGs get back to norm OP?
Hey AzianAssassi, yes my MPG returned to normal after swapping back to the original plugs that were meant for the car. I didn't record much data as I went strictly off my odometer MPG after each fill up and it seemed less than usual after installing the Ruthenium plugs.

Any particular reason you wanted to try out the Ruthenium plugs?

Hey AzianAssassi, yes my MPG returned to normal after swapping back to the original plugs that were meant for the car. I didn't record much data as I went strictly off my odometer MPG after each fill up and it seemed less than usual after installing the Ruthenium plugs.

Any particular reason you wanted to try out the Ruthenium plugs?
Oh sorry, I meant I wanted to add to the data available.

I got the Rutheniums cheaper than Iridiums off RockAuto. I've researched them for a while now and I think they would be worth it if they deliver as NGK states:

Ruthenium HX™ brings the most advanced spark plug technology to the automotive aftermarket, delivering better efficiency and power for today’s engines.

NGK’s patented ruthenium technology stands up better to wear to bring maximum durability and performance to your engine.

NGK68716-graphics-for-web-ACCELERATION-768x384.jpg

We shall see.

Also I would be remiss to not mention, NGK Rutheniums come in two flavors:

Ruthenium HX is available in two designs to best maximize the performance of your engine.

DFE (double fine electrode) maximizes ignitability, while reducing emissions for low-heat engines. This NGK-patented design is recommended for non-turbo applications.

PSPE® (projected square platinum electrode) provides the best ignitability and service life for high-heat engines. This NGK-patented design is recommended for turbo and supercharged engines.

Also I would be remiss to not mention, NGK Rutheniums come in two flavors:
Can you let us know if you also experience the carbon buildup around the pistons/cylinders ?

If possible, maybe some before/after photos to compare?

Also, because it's a skyactiv high compression engine, would the PSPE be the choice regardless of whether it's turbo or non-turbo?

Last edited:
Can you let us know if you also experience the carbon buildup around the pistons/cylinders ?

If possible, maybe some before/after photos to compare?

Also, because it's a skyactiv high compression engine, would the PSPE be the choice regardless of whether it's turbo or non-turbo?
Unfortunately I don't have a snake camera yet. I should've looked during Cyber Monday but I will try to remember to do a 5k miles check up of the plugs for comparison. I expect to see what Dig experienced.

I'll be honest, I don't have the experience/technical background/decent enough understanding of the Skyactive engine to make that determination. I think I would default to calling NGK directly for advice.

I'd be interested in hearing more should you or anyone else decide to or acquire a better explanation.

Back