RWD Platform AWD Question

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hi All,

With the speculation of the 2023 CX-5 having a RWD platform and AWD optional, how will the AWD compare to what is currently offered in the CX-5? I guess my question is, what will the power distribution likely be for a vehicle using this setup? With the AWD model, would there likely be some percentage of power being delivered to the front wheels at all times?

Oh the new awd will be the best in the market. It'll be superior to the Subaru and more sophisticated than the Tesla. You'll also get a controller to manually adjust the percentage of power to deliver to the front.

Not sure how it will be handled. The BMW xDrive is something like 60 rear 40 front under normal driving and can go 100% in either direction. That works great but the MPG hit might be too much for Mazda. I wonder if they could do something like a 10F -90R setup.

The rumor mill seems to be all over the place. What I've been hearing from various online sources is that the CX5 drivetrain will remain unchanged and the as of yet unannounced CX-50 gets the sweet inline 6 with RWD biased AWD.

If Mazda wants to still exist in 10 yrs from now they better start making electric CX5s instead of rwd platforms.

I've honestly been happy with the FWD system. My JGC was 52/48 all-time, 100% variable, RWD based. It wasn't any better on ice/snow/gravel/wet pavement. I think the real benefit will be weight distribution.

I've honestly been happy with the FWD system. My JGC was 52/48 all-time, 100% variable, RWD based. It wasn't any better on ice/snow/gravel/wet pavement. I think the real benefit will be weight distribution.

I think the purpose is to make a more sporty fun to drive car. Think BMW.

I think the purpose is to make a more sporty fun to drive car. Think BMW.
...but it doesn't. There is literally no difference in how the vehicle handles in my experience with this vs. RWD based AWD, UNLESS you have it programmed to push more torque to the rear so you can hoon around sliding the arse all over the place. Not really conducive to lap times or actual performance, though.

Mazda tried the luxury brand approach 20 years ago by launching the Amati division which was short lived. Perhaps this time they will be more successful despite strong competition mainly from the Germans. And then there is Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, Cadillac/Buick, Lincoln, Volvo, Jaguar, Genesis and I may have missed a few...Too many players for a small market and usually the market adjusts itself. Wouldn't be surprised to see Infiniti disappear as they are no longer the flavor of the month.

Mazda is well positioned to offer zoom-zoom AND reliability!

Back