Simple, customizable trunk storage

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
Lots of threads - "hey, look at my cool storage idea" Let's not over think it. Pick your container, pick you bungee and Bammo find what's right for you.

PXL_20210221_155020587.jpg
PXL_20210221_155110957.jpg

My 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon (which was involved in the Diesel Gate scandal and was purchased back from me by VW. I used that cash to buy our CX-5) came with a cargo management system called Cargo Blocks and Monster Mat.

Here are the blocks at Amazon.

61xO1WhEQqL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

And here's the blocks and the mat.

2005-2017 Volkswagen Heavy Duty Trunk Liner With Cargo Blocks 3C5-061-166-469 | VW Direct Auto Parts

Before I sold the Jetta back to VW I removed the mat and the blocks. The mat fit almost perfectly in the back of the CX-5, with a small adjustment. The blocks stick to the mat with Velcro and work great!

Before I sold the Jetta back to VW I removed the mat and the blocks. The mat fit almost perfectly in the back of the CX-5, with a small adjustment. The blocks stick to the mat with Velcro and work great!
I did the same. The Diesel Gate buyback was too much to refuse. I also still have the mat & blocks. I had a 2011 TDI hatchback & I never thought to see if it was useable in the CX-5 with some tweaks.

I did them same. The Diesel Gate buyback was too much to refuse. I also still have the mat & blocks. I had a 2011 TDI hatchback & I never thought to see if it was useable in the CX-5 with some tweaks.

I had to trim a bit of the mat, right where the back seat folds. It's hard to tell that it's been trimmed unless you're looking for it. Other than that it's a great fit.

More often than I should admit I accelerate and corner like an idiot so I definitely should have any container strapped down.

@hal2 - is that a clear cargo cover in the first pic? Where did you get that?
Unlikely, just the standard OEM retractable cargo cover which has a screen or netlike feature that extends out when trunk is opened. Saves weight space and does not create a solid barrier between the passenger compartment and trunk.

Yes, original Mazda cargo cover. That screen portion is only about 8 in deep, and retracts into the roll up when closed, so it is a solid cover over the cargo area when the trunk is closed.

- Built Right Industries Velcro Molle (hook and loop) panels - 4x4truckleds.com
- MARKSIGN Deluxe Trunk and Backseat Organizer (Size: Medium sized SUV, etc.) - from Amazon
- Weathertech cargo liner with bumper printer (highly recommend!) - Weathertech direct

Attachments

• B8099D4C-B678-4399-8A72-2B34BA94616C.jpeg
    B8099D4C-B678-4399-8A72-2B34BA94616C.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 241
  • D2F3750A-E582-4AC6-90E0-3D824D1BF040.jpeg
    D2F3750A-E582-4AC6-90E0-3D824D1BF040.jpeg
    515.3 KB · Views: 250
  • 635B555F-59D5-4038-AF44-F87DC292ABD1.jpeg
    635B555F-59D5-4038-AF44-F87DC292ABD1.jpeg
    436.7 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Best setup I've ever seen right there. But... what the hell do you have in all that stuff? The only thing I have are... jumper cables. Which I've never even used on this car. More for helping others at this point. lol

Best setup I've ever seen right there.
I'm going to politely disagree. It's a great set up for carrying you gear, until you need to uh, actually load stuff in your trunk, then you have to move everything somewhere else especially on the back of the back seat. But that's what's great about SUV, options for everyone.

I'm going to politely disagree. It's a great set up for carrying you gear, until you need to uh, actually load stuff in your trunk, then you have to move everything somewhere else especially on the back of the back seat. But that's what's great about SUV, options for everyone.
Yup It’s all about one’s own lifestyle. This was the best solution I could come up with for keeping all my gear while still allowing access to the cargo space. The only time I really need to put that my rear seats is for my surfboard, and because those hanging bags are Velcro I don’t need to keep removing/installing them. 😎

- Built Right Industries Velcro Molle (hook and loop) panels - 4x4truckleds.com
- MARKSIGN Deluxe Trunk and Backseat Organizer (Size: Medium sized SUV, etc.) - from Amazon
- Weathertech cargo liner with bumper printer (highly recommend!) - Weathertech direct

Is the fire extinguisher bolted and strapped to the body?

Yup It’s all about one’s own lifestyle. This was the best solution I could come up with for keeping all my gear while still allowing access to the cargo space. The only time I really need to put that my rear seats is for my surfboard, and because those hanging bags are Velcro I don’t need to keep removing/installing them 😎
Got it, and hopefully my comment didn't come across as disrespectful. I know that sometimes it's about utility, and none of us bought the CX-5 for its "Best In Class" cargo rating :p, so kudos for making the most of yours.

My 2012 VW Jetta Sportwagon (which was involved in the Diesel Gate scandal and was purchased back from me by VW. I used that cash to buy our CX-5) came with a cargo management system called Cargo Blocks and Monster Mat.

Here are the blocks at Amazon.

61xO1WhEQqL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

And here's the blocks and the mat.

2005-2017 Volkswagen Heavy Duty Trunk Liner With Cargo Blocks 3C5-061-166-469 | VW Direct Auto Parts

Great idea! Now you have my right hemisphere working overtime!

I’ve got a 2021. Swapped the little triangle floor covers to the opposite sides and they sort of lock in to help keep everything in place. Black fabric bag with jumper cables, folding shovel, collapsible 4way tire iron, etc is attached to the same ring as the bungees with a caribiner (to help ensure that it stays in place). Those 4 plastic barriers are great for keeping shopping bags in place, and are kept stationary by the weight of the object that sits on them (not with Velcro). Bungees can be connected to the bars behind the seats if that sort of resistance is appropriate for the cargo. This layout was the best I could come up with to maximize practicality for day to day trips to the store, while also giving me a bit of storage for tools/shopping bags/etc, and also allowing for an easy transition if I have to fold down the seats for larger cargo.

I’d like to add a trunk liner, but it would need to cutoff before those little outcoves on the sides (since they drop down lower, and I want to keep that as separate storage space). All the liners I’ve seen extend in to those outcoves, so any tips would be appreciated.

🤘

Attachments

• 86D92A07-501D-4BE3-BB65-DAEBABC6C002.jpeg
    86D92A07-501D-4BE3-BB65-DAEBABC6C002.jpeg
    203.4 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
You hit on a key point. Getting maximum use to be able to store the things you want to keep with you, and still leave room to carry packages and stuff home.

Back