Touring + Preferred PKG makes no sense? Carbon Edition

I was looking to buy a new CX-5 Touring + Preferred Package until I went to mazdausa.com to compare it with Carbon Edition.
I found out that Touring + Preferred Package makes no sense or even looks stupid with Carbon Edition available at $400 more.

Does Carbon Edition come with all features from Touring + its own and costs only $400 more?
Some colors are $400 option alone, but Carbon Edition offers its color + black wheels (usually $1000+ extra with other manufacturers) + two choices of real leather (not leatherette).
Technically, you get red or black leather and special wheels for free.

Is there a catch? Why would anyone would still want CX-5 Touring + Preferred for just $400 less?

I haven’t checked your math, but it sounds about right. As I recall, Preferred SV gets you leather so there’s no difference there, other than the option for the red color. But basically, the CE gets you bigger wheels (in black), a special exterior color and a few trim differences (e.g., the black chrome grill trim) for a small price premium. If you like the polymetal paint, black wheels, and red leather, it’s a great deal. If not, the Touring+Preferred gets you basically the same car for a little less.

The biggest deal with the CE is being able to get the Turbo for $1800 without having to go all the way up to GTR trim. And you can go FWD turbo if you want.

- Mark

I haven’t checked your math, but it sounds about right. As I recall, Preferred SV gets you leather so there’s no difference there, other than the option for the red color. But basically, the CE gets you bigger wheels (in black), a special exterior color and a few trim differences (e.g., the black chrome grill trim) for a small price premium. If you like the polymetal paint, black wheels, and red leather, it’s a great deal. If not, the Touring+Preferred gets you basically the same car for a little less.

The biggest deal with the CE is being able to get the Turbo for $1800 without having to go all the way up to GTR trim. And you can go FWD turbo if you want.

- Mark
You are right, the $1800 shortcut to the turbo is another reason to skip Touring + Preferred SV.

$31130 for Touring + Preferred SV
$31530 for Carbon Edition

I doubled checked about leather/leatherette. Touring does not offer leather as an option, you have to go up to Grand Touring.
Carbon Edition offers red/black leather at no cost.

It seems like I am not the only one because Carbon Edition non-turbo is scarce in my area, but there are plenty of other trim levels.

As far as I can tell, the Preferred SV package DOES add leather to the Touring trim - it’s listed as “leather-trimmed” in the brochure, but the CE lists it the same way.

So other than colors and minor trim details, the only significant value add in the CE over the Touring+SV is the bigger wheels which seems more/less consistent with the $400 up charge. So I don’t see the CE as really being a value play.... it just gives you a different look and a way to get the turbo without having to ante up to GTR and/or AWD.

- Mark

Last edited:
Usually when there is a "blah blah blah" Edition released it if to do just what the OP said, to give you some upgrades at a reduced cost. I recently purchased a "Midnight" edition Nissan Frontier. Very similar deal. You get a "$2,495 value for $995". Made sense to me. The problem I have with the Crabon Edition is it lacks some features it should have IMHO like the signature lighting. I was excited about it until I researched what it lacked compared to my GT model.

The problem I have with the Crabon Edition is it lacks some features it should have IMHO like the signature lighting. I was excited about it until I researched what it lacked compared to my GT model.

They have to cut costs somewhere. Carbon is for a different buyer, but it would be nice to have the GT stuff on it too.

Purchased the Carbon Edition with turbo and AWD because it was the exact package I wanted, including the color. The price was great ($31K OTD).
Couldn't have said it better.

The Carbon Edition is the best deal out there (regardless of brand), imo

Back