2018 CX5 issue with emissions test

:
CX5
Just an informational post for people who own a 2018 CX5 and who live in the state of Georgia. There is a known issue where the computer software used by many emissions stations in Georgia won't communicate with the software on a 2018 Mazda CX5. After experiencing this at two emissions stations, I drove to my Mazda dealership, and they informed me that this is a known issue and they sent me to an emissions station where they are currently sending all their 2018 CX5 vehicles that need emissions tests. The car passed with flying colors, but I'd check with your dealership regarding this issue before attempting to get an emissions test performed on a 2018 CX5 in GA.

Is this only a Georgia issue? We've got to go through either Virginia or DC emissions next month when we move up, and I don't want problems.

No, it's a software issue. Hopefully it will get resolved.
VW used car software to detect emission testing and ran parameters that defeated the testing, then ran another set of parameters during normal operation. My thought is that the one emission testing center that is working -- could simply be too old / too new for Mazda to detect. Just a thought.

Ironically, I drove my wife's 2018 MX5 to the emissions station nearest to our house, and it passed with no problem. The issue seems to be only with the 2018 CX5.

VW used car software to detect emission testing and ran parameters that defeated the testing, then ran another set of parameters during normal operation. My thought is that the one emission testing center that is working -- could simply be too old / too new for Mazda to detect. Just a thought.
I honestly don't think it's Mazda doing what VW did. I say that for two reasons; firstly because of what happened to VW, and secondly because our 2018 MX5 passed with no problems.

I e-mailed Mazda USA about the issue this afternoon. I'm sure they already know about it, but someone needs to fix it.

Interesting. I wonder if it is the Georgia's inspection station's software issue or the 2018 CX-5's software issue. I haven't had to get mine inspected yet, I have a 2018.

Interesting. I wonder if it is the Georgia's inspection station's software issue or the 2018 CX-5's software issue. I haven't had to get mine inspected yet, I have a 2018.
I'm hoping it's a GA issue, and that it can be fixed quickly. I'd call your Mazda dealer and find out where they're sending 2018 CX5 vehicles for emissions testing in your area.

I got a fast response to my e-mail to Mazda USA. It seems to be a GA issue.

'Thank you for contacting Mazda Customer Experience Center regarding the Emission testing issue.

I contacted Mazda of Roswell and spoke to John in service. He states that this is not a Mazda issue, many 2018 brands, including other manufacturers, have the same issue. Apparently, the State emission testing software has been recently implemented and is being debugged. I am sorry about the inconvenience.

If you have any questions in the future, you can reach me directly using the number and extension below.'

Interesting...Just read on the Fiat Spider forum (which is made in the Mazda Miata plant and has Mazda electronics) that a person had this exact same issue with his 2018 Spider in N.C. It had to do with older emissions equipment not being able to communicate with the car.

Back