Blown away Falken WildPeak A/T Trail 225/55/R19

Ok have to give an update. Drove from Seattle to Salt Lake going through Jackson, WY. Along the way saw temperatures below 10, cold drifted snow, icy roads, slushy roads, 8" of wet new snow... and in all of that the tires have performed great. They are not snow tires, but they absolutely blow the old tires away. They feel planted and if you drive the speed limit (actually take that exit ramp at 35 instead of 50) when the roads are snowy, there are zero issues. Only when I mash the throttle or stomp on the brakes can I get it to cut loose. Coming down the 10% slopes of Teton Pass during a blizzard I would have been terrified on the Toyos. With the Wildpeak I just took it slow and did not slide once.

But I knew they would be better in the snow... the really impressive thing is how good they are everywhere else. In Montana where the speed limit is 80 I could test the performance at speed, and there was far more wind noise at high speeds than tire noise. They seem quieter than the Toyos on dry roads, and I have found cornering performance to be great due to the stiffness of the sidewall. Performance on wet roads has been better as well, but that may just be the new tread. The only negative difference in feel is that the Wildpeaks are stiffer, so when you hit expansion joints or potholes its slightly more of a jolt. For such huge improvements everywhere else, that tradeoff is well worth it. Looking forward to testing them on gravel this summer!

What size do you have? What Speed and Load rating?

I went with 235/55-19 because I wanted the V (149mph) and XL (Extra Load) ratings.

How the tire feels will differ if only rated H (130mph) and/or SL (Standard Load).

To support running at higher speeds, V-rated tires will have a stiffer sidewall and slightly firmer ride than H-rated tires. For normal driving conditions the H-rated tire will provide a more comfortable ride and the V-rated should give slightly better handling.

An XL tyre lasts longer than a SL tyre when driving in similar conditions. These tyres have a reinforced design and offer protection against internal and external damage. The rigidity of the tire ensures better road grip and cornering ability.

Ok have to give an update. Drove from Seattle to Salt Lake going through Jackson, WY. Along the way saw temperatures below 10, cold drifted snow, icy roads, slushy roads, 8" of wet new snow... and in all of that the tires have performed great. They are not snow tires, but they absolutely blow the old tires away. They feel planted and if you drive the speed limit (actually take that exit ramp at 35 instead of 50) when the roads are snowy, there are zero issues. Only when I mash the throttle or stomp on the brakes can I get it to cut loose. Coming down the 10% slopes of Teton Pass during a blizzard I would have been terrified on the Toyos. With the Wildpeak I just took it slow and did not slide once.

But I knew they would be better in the snow... the really impressive thing is how good they are everywhere else. In Montana where the speed limit is 80 I could test the performance at speed, and there was far more wind noise at high speeds than tire noise. They seem quieter than the Toyos on dry roads, and I have found cornering performance to be great due to the stiffness of the sidewall. Performance on wet roads has been better as well, but that may just be the new tread. The only negative difference in feel is that the Wildpeaks are stiffer, so when you hit expansion joints or potholes its slightly more of a jolt. For such huge improvements everywhere else, that tradeoff is well worth it. Looking forward to testing them on gravel this summer!
My LX25s did great until I introduced them to 27% slope with gravel base, with 6" fresh fall snow. They did okay with 2-3" on it. Would these have climbed that?

My LX25s did great until I introduced them to 27% slope with gravel base, with 6" fresh fall snow. They did okay with 2-3" on it. Would these have climbed that?
That sounds pretty gnarly, all I can say is the wild peak is generally better in the snow and off-road than the lx25.

That sounds pretty gnarly, all I can say is the wild peak is generally better in the snow and off-road than the lx25.
I'm having a hard time getting over them adding over 20# to my rotating mass, though across the 4 tires. I just can't deal with that. I'll keep looking, maybe consider the CrossClimate 2's.

New CX5 owner here so forgive if I ask anything I should already know. Thank you for the performance review of the Falken Wildpeak’s. Personally, I love the look of the tire as I want something more athletic but doesn’t ride like a mud/snow tire. From some of the other reviews and yours, this sounds like a good all around tire that is more than capable if the vehicle encounters less than ideal conditions. I assume the trade off is extra weight and decrease in miles per gallon.

Forgive the 50 questions but what decrease in mpg’s have you experienced?

Can you tell us more about the drivability under ideal conditions, are they’re any negatives with the Wildpeak?

Also, I wanted to know why you selected the size of Wildpeak you did. I have a great set of TSW Sebring 18X8.5’s that I think these tires would look great on but not sure about what size tire. Ie 225/55, 225/60, 235/55 or 235/60’s.

Finally, and I know I’ve already asked for a lot, could you share a picture of your set up? Even if it’s just the wheels, would love to see how good they look. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Can you tell us more about the drivability under ideal conditions, are they’re any negatives with the Wildpeak?

This was my biggest concern too. Performance is better in all conditions than the Toyos with cornering, grip, and noise. I didn't do a scientific comparison of gas mileage but haven't really noticed a difference. Maybe 1mpg less?

I just went with the same size tire I had to fit my 19" rim which is 225-55R19. You should ask the tire shop what size fits that rim if you're unsure.

They look very good, I was slightly concerned my Mazda would look like a Jeep wannabe or something but instead its a more subtle athletic look which you can see in the photo below. It is not quite as aggressive as I thought it might be. My buddy has the Wildpeak on his 4Runner and they look quite a bit more aggressive even though the tread is the same depth... something about the spacing between lugs and the bigger sidewall.

So if you like the look and want to drive confidently in snow and dirt I say go for it. If you are 99% dry pavement then there are probably better options that are lighter and could give even more dry performance, at the expense of everything else.
Tires.jpg

Thru Tirerack, approx. 1500 miles.
  1. Commute: Each way 27 miles with Garden State Parkway (NJ) and then stop-and-go NY City. Experience: Tremendous. Quieter than Toyo (stock): Yes. Handling and braking - terrific.
  2. Rain/sleet: Recently witnessed. Absolutely at par with Michellins and BF Goodrich and Continental. Personally I found these are handling better in rain.
  3. Snow: Again we saw 4-in and was forced to take the vehicle. Till date out of all drives I have done across so many different tires these worked best. Perhaps because of the 3 peak symbol.
  4. I decided to do a run into Bear Mountain and dirt roads with considerable rocks and that too in freezing and snow conditions primarily because all brochures say can take and handle off-roading. Well - its true. The car drove like a champ. Zero slippage and where I thought it impossible it made thru, steep inclines. Kudos of course to Mazda's iActive suspension and other controls but these tires are a beast.
The best part - either side has different lettering. 1 embrossed like standard tires and the other 3D raised. I opted for the 3D raised side to be on the outside and already many commented on how aggressive the stance is. Especially when coupled with heavy sidewall protection (usually found in premium tires) it actually gives me considerable safety margin in curb side mishaps.

Only caveat - well the tires are heavy I think. Seem to be observing a dip of approx. 1 mpg to 1.5 mpg but again not sure as its true winter...
@bmninada What year and model. Also any pics of it? Was reading this expecting some pictures to look at haha

Not trying to thread hijack but here's a pic of my setup with the wild peaks but on 17's. You lose some cornering performance and feedback with the wider sidewalls but I'd still buy them again.

PSX_20190902_192705.jpg

Update: I covered snow and this year in NJ had plenty. However, a week back had torrential rains and by now my tires are over an year and + old. I was stuck in the rocky steep side of Delaware Water gap area and had to make it home by morning.

Anyways drove thru slushy areas covering almost the radius of the tires! Steep inclines with unpaved roads and then suddenly opening to flat partially paved roads, etc. continuously for over 50 miles. All thru heavy rain. I admit I drove at approximately 30 to 50 mph but the tires held up wonderfully. I specifically mentioned the sudden change of road from being muddy, slushy to being paved with a reason. I noticed only when this transition occurred the tires took a tad longer to grip. Probably took some time to shake off the embedded mud, dirt. Which to me is a bit surprising since they have the grooves for snow so in my dummies' guide mindset mud should actually fly off faster! Otherwise, it blows the Toyos off any day.

My road noise is still remarkably low and my mileage has actually been the same as before off late. However, summers are tough to use as reference.

Update: I covered snow and this year in NJ had plenty. However, a week back had torrential rains and by now my tires are over an year and + old. I was stuck in the rocky steep side of Delaware Water gap area and had to make it home by morning.

Anyways drove thru slushy areas covering almost the radius of the tires! Steep inclines with unpaved roads and then suddenly opening to flat partially paved roads, etc. continuously for over 50 miles. All thru heavy rain. I admit I drove at approximately 30 to 50 mph but the tires held up wonderfully. I specifically mentioned the sudden change of road from being muddy, slushy to being paved with a reason. I noticed only when this transition occurred the tires took a tad longer to grip. Probably took some time to shake off the embedded mud, dirt. Which to me is a bit surprising since they have the grooves for snow so in my dummies' guide mindset mud should actually fly off faster! Otherwise, it blows the Toyos off any day.

My road noise is still remarkably low and my mileage has actually been the same as before off late. However, summers are tough to use as reference.
Pictures please ⋯ ;)

Just got my CX-5 back with 225/55-19 Wildpeak A/T Trails on it. They are excellent. Quieter than the Yokohama G015s, better ride quality and sharper steering response.

Last edited:
Also have the Trails but in 255/55/19 on my CX-9. Love them so far. Both for looks and not much, if any, additional road noise. Living in Texas and having just completed our yearly winter road trip to visit family in our other vehicle, I can’t comment on snow performance, but if the AT3Ws are anything to judge by, these won’t disappoint either

Back