Control Arm Bushing Bolt

So I changed my control arm on my 2002 P5 the other day and when I went to put in the new one I had a problem with the bolt that goes through the bushing...It was hard to get that bolt free but I just kept on it and it came out...So when I was putting it back in the bolt just continues to turn even after it's all the way in...I have seen a couple posts on here about similar issues...But no answer to my problem...I just turned it until it was all the way in and drove it like that for a day or two...When I went and checked on it the bolt was almost out...Other people were talking about using a torch and cutting it open or something but I don't have a torch or the skill to do something like that...Is there some alternative way like maybe getting a nut with some thread locker on it and get it in above the bushing? I realize it has to leave the bushing free to move as the vehicle turns, so maybe just leaving it as much free movement as possible but getting something to hold it in above it...

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

So when I was putting it back in the bolt just continues to turn even after it's all the way in...
I'm pretty sure that there is a nut on the end of the bolt. You struggled to remove it because it was spinning. I think is bound enough to unscrew and then fell off. Check the other side to see what's above the bolt.

Are you talking about part #8 in the diagram?

Screenshot_20210104-000006_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Is there some alternative way like maybe getting a nut with some thread locker on it and get it in above the bushing?
Yes,.. get a nut.
I think you've got nothing but bolt threads above the bushing.

I realize it has to leave the bushing free to move as the vehicle turns,
That bushing doesn't turn, it just pivots up and down as the wheel goes up and down.

so maybe just leaving it as much free movement as possible but getting something to hold it in above it...
Any help is appreciated...
There is a metal tube inside the bushing (part #8) so that you can crank your bolt tight without compressing the rubber bushing.

You can lock it tight.

Upvote 0
Getting that bolt through part #8 was a PITA for me.

I had to compres the strut, and loosen all the bolts on the lower bracketto get the control arm level so that the bolt was square with the hole.

The friction of a "cross threaded" bolt is enough to snug it up and spin, but not to lock it down.

Upvote 0
If I'm wrong about the nut and bolt, and instead, there is a weld nut above the bushing that is stripped, you should be able to use a nut and bolt through it.

You may have to drill out the weld nut, for a new bolt to fit through.

You can feed the bolt down from the top so you just have the head of the bolt above the weld nut.

Check for clearance with what would be full compression of the strut to see if the bolt head would hit anything.

Upvote 0
I replaced my control arms a long time ago and I kinda forget if there is a nut up top.

But I remember that getting that damn bolt through part #8 was a b****.

Upvote 0
So I'm still driving as it was.. It is a weld nut on top and i can't access that area... So I'm hoping to fit a nut with threadlocker on it above the control arm bushing... I been super busy but I'll try to do it soon and let ya know the outcome...

Upvote 0
So I changed my control arm on my 2002 P5 the other day and when I went to put in the new one I had a problem with the bolt that goes through the bushing...It was hard to get that bolt free but I just kept on it and it came out...So when I was putting it back in the bolt just continues to turn even after it's all the way in...I have seen a couple posts on here about similar issues...But no answer to my problem...I just turned it until it was all the way in and drove it like that for a day or two...When I went and checked on it the bolt was almost out...Other people were talking about using a torch and cutting it open or something but I don't have a torch or the skill to do something like that...Is there some alternative way like maybe getting a nut with some thread locker on it and get it in above the bushing? I realize it has to leave the bushing free to move as the vehicle turns, so maybe just leaving it as much free movement as possible but getting something to hold it in above it...

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
I changed mine in Nov. Apparently there is a lock nut up there, but I never found mine. I put the new bolt in from the top with a locknut it works the same.

Upvote 0
I changed mine in Nov. Apparently there is a lock nut up there, but I never found mine. I put the new bolt in from the top with a locknut it works the same.
Where is the opening on top... I'm not looking at it now but for some reason I felt like I couldn't get in to the top side of that part?

I'm pretty sure that there is a nut on the end of the bolt. You struggled to remove it because it was spinning. I think is bound enough to unscrew and then fell off. Check the other side to see what's above the bolt.

Are you talking about part #8 in the diagram?

View attachment 234372

Yes,.. get a nut.
I think you've got nothing but bolt threads above the bushing.

That bushing doesn't turn, it just pivots up and down as the wheel goes up and down.

There is a metal tube inside the bushing (part #8) so that you can crank your bolt tight without compressing the rubber bushing.

You can lock it tight.
Yes it is the center bolt going through part #3 in the diagram... I believe that then goes through #8...

I replaced my control arms a long time ago and I kinda forget if there is a nut up top.

But I remember that getting that damn bolt through part #8 was a b****.
i had no problems getting it in there, just won't tighten... gonna see what i can do with it over the weekend hopefully... Feel like I been flirting with danger long enough... better fix it now...

Upvote 0
I changed mine in Nov. Apparently there is a lock nut up there, but I never found mine. I put the new bolt in from the top with a locknut it works the
Sorry just got a chance to respond, it goes in just slid right in for me. I'm trying to read while I respond did you get it?

Upvote 0
Sorry just got a chance to respond, it goes in just slid right in for me. I'm trying to read while I respond did you get it?
Anyone happen to be on here now? Bolt came out and I need to replace it... any thought on bolt size would be appreciated... driving right now without a bolt in there to get to a hardware store...

Upvote 0
Back