2018 CX-5 GT Ticking sound?

Folks sorry to reinitiate this post but I have an '18 cx5 2.5L that just started the ticking noise at 50,000 km (30,000 miles) when temps went down below freezing. Did anyone including the OP ever get a confirmed answer to what caused it?
^Same! Just bought this car for my wife with 36k. Reached 41k and changed the oil (not sure if this has anything to do with it) 2 weeks later and it’s finally a little cold in south Texas and the noise has appeared. What is everyone doing to get this fixed? Thanks in advance.

There are 2 TSB’s on this both dealing with hydraulic lifters. One is for air pockets than can form in the lifters and the other is for failed lifters. I took mine to the dealer and they assured me it was not catastrophic and they did the air pocket service.

I have a 2019 cx5. Just hit 23K miles on it. Just this morning I started my car to warm up. Walked back out to it to leave and heard this loud ticking noise. But what gets weird is when I went to take off, it sort of bogged down on me, then jumped back to life and was fine. Got to work and the sound was gone. But I was able to get it to do the same exact thing later in the day. Only seems to be when it’s left running for longer than a few minutes. It’s been cold but I live in Wyoming. It’s cold a lot during the winter and this is the first this has happened. I did have the recall done this last year. Strange to me that it just randomly started doing this. Any thoughts?

this conversation also has some additional or similar input on ticking :

and

unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a single solves all the ticking noise solution. I would be curious if @bucko2855 or @TexasToner found an acceptable root cause and solution yet.

^Same! Just bought this car for my wife with 36k. Reached 41k and changed the oil (not sure if this has anything to do with it) 2 weeks later and it’s finally a little cold in south Texas and the noise has appeared. What is everyone doing to get this fixed? Thanks in advance.
So I had my cx5 into dealer on January and they stated they couldn’t recreate the noise and they did the tsb for the air bubble/pocket in the lifters. Now with -12C weather the ticking/knocking noise came back with a vengeance. I showed them the other tsb and they’re saying that’s a USA tsb and doesn’t apply to Canadian cx5’s Needles to say they’re going to look at it again but not until next week. It’s clearly a tolerance issue given it gets worse in colder weather when metal contracts more. Hopefully they’ll correct it because the damn engine now sounds like a diesel until it warms up

Thanks.

The repair procedure for air bubbles accumulated in the oil passage in switchable hydraulic lash adjuster (HLA) is to keep the engine rpm at 2000 rpm for 5 minutes. Yeah right. We can do this by ourself! And I doubt this procedure can really fix the tapping noise problem permanently caused by HLA.
I agree. Absolute BS

I agree. Absolute BS
And like I suspected earlier, this’s another inherited problem from cylinder deactivation. The tapping noise most likely is from switchable hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA) which are only on cylinder #1 and #4 for cylinder deactivation. And based on the Service Alert and TSB, this tapping noise problem is only from 2.5 L with cylinder deactivation on 2018 and newer CX-5’s.

60FF5547-C143-4E6C-BC8B-D431025172F1.jpeg

This is the response i got regarding the HLA replacement. Ill hope they take my concern seriously although I’m expecting getting the runaround on this given their response. Typical piss poor service in Canada. I have no problem hounding them until this gets fixed however. Why they didn’t reveal that TSB to me in January when they showed me the air bubble tsb is beyond me

“ We believe the information you provided is for an American Service Alert. Canada, has recently released a similar Technical Service Bulletin as the one you've provided, but ours has a different procedure to be followed and requires us to involve our Mazda Canada Technical Support Team.

We can certainly take another look at the vehicle for you, but I will require you to leave the vehicle with us for at least the day. There are a couple reasons for this; the technician was actually unable to duplicate your concerns last visit and we need to contact our Technical Support Team, which means this appointment requires a more complex diagnostic procedure. “

So, just to update and especially for Canadian owners, I just received results and
after conversations my dealer had with Mazda Canada, they will replace the hydraulic lash adjusters on my vehicle. It took being abe to leave the cx5 overnight at the dealership when the temps went down to below -10C. They were then able to duplicate the noise I have been dealing with and agree its not injectors, air in the HLA's etc. Canadian dealerships dont appear to be aware of the Service Alert No.: SA-012/19. In fairness this alert is US based and kudos to my dealership for speaking with Mazda Canada to get direction on this.

Parts are coming from the USA which again leads me to believe it hasnt been as prominent a problem in Canada. Main thing is to be persistent if you have this noise occurring until it gets resolved.

So, just to update and especially for Canadian owners, I just received results and
after conversations my dealer had with Mazda Canada, they will replace the hydraulic lash adjusters on my vehicle. It took being abe to leave the cx5 overnight at the dealership when the temps went down to below -10C. They were then able to duplicate the noise I have been dealing with and agree its not injectors, air in the HLA's etc. Canadian dealerships dont appear to be aware of the Service Alert No.: SA-012/19. In fairness this alert is US based and kudos to my dealership for speaking with Mazda Canada to get direction on this.

Parts are coming from the USA which again leads me to believe it hasnt been as prominent a problem in Canada. Main thing is to be persistent if you have this noise occurring until it gets resolved.
Mazda and Mazda Canada fully aware this ticking noise problem. The Service Alert, although the one we have seen is from Mazda North American Operations, is coming directly from Mazda Japan headquarter after their engineers studied the problem. I bet Mazda has improved or revised those switchable HLAs to prevent the ticking noise when cold, and could carry different part numbers on newer HLAs indicating these are revised version.

Anyway, it’s your persistence and now the reward getting your problem fixed. Unfortunately some people feel this ticking noise is normal, and not interested to get the problem fixed.

I’m an older fella (56) who grew up with lifter and rod engines. Any ticking noise in my book has always been a bad thing. I can’t fault the dealership in fact I have nothing but high praise for them. I don’t think a lot of people are reporting this as it’s only during colder weather and disappears when temps hit Zero C and above. I was fortunate that we have this cold snap. Soon as they were able to repeat the issue they went right after fixing it I think consumers need to educate themselves more on vehicle maintenance however I’m also in a rarer group. We don’t lease or buy cars short term. We still have our 2010 Mazda 6 and this cx5 will be with us for 10 plus years as well so i indefinitely want to report and issues while under warranty.

Is it just an annoying noise? Or is this something that can cause damage over time if it isn't addressed?

Is it just an annoying noise? Or is this something that can cause damage over time if it isn't addressed?
It needs fixed. It’s a hydraulic lifter that opens and closes the cylinder valves and during cold weather allowable space tolerance between the two pieces of metal becomes to large and the noise is the metal surfaces hitting each other. Most ticking/ metal on metal sounds from engines should never to be treated as just annoying and need checked out . Diesel engines have always had a knocking sound from their design using injectors and pressurized fuel systems however gasoline engines for the most part should run quiet especially in their early lifespan

What can happen if this issue isn't fixed? Any telltale signs that the issue has progressed further than noise in cold weather?

I'm just asking questions so that I and others can learn and understand what is normal and what is not, and what ignoring the problem can lead to. My CX-9 doesn't have the issue as far as I can tell, but I have noticed that my brother-in-law's company cars (2018 Nissan Murano, 2019 Infiniti QX60, 2020 Nissan Pathfinder) have all had loud, ticking engines.

absolutely. Always ask questions. It’s best to make sure you prepare yourself in Case you need to deal with these issues. In this case the noise is produced as there is too much of space between two metal surfaces that continuously hit each other Best analogy I can give you is think about using a hammer on the nail if you lift the hammer 1 mm away from the nail and tap it The force placed on in the nail is very minimal now pull the hammer 2 inches away from the nail and hit it and you see different results the problem with too much space is it allows the metal to hit with more impact on each other and overtime can cause damage to both surfaces if that makes sense the noise is increased during colder weather as metal shrinks or contracts. the noise will go away once the engine warms up or in warmer temperatures as metal expands however overtime the more the engine is subjected to colder weather and that ticking noise happens the gap will increase between the two metal surfaces as eventually need repaired

absolutely. Always ask questions. It’s best to make sure you prepare yourself in Case you need to deal with these issues. In this case the noise is produced as there is too much of space between two metal surfaces that continuously hit each other Best analogy I can give you is think about using a hammer on the nail if you lift the hammer 1 mm away from the nail and tap it The force placed on in the nail is very minimal now pull the hammer 2 inches away from the nail and hit it and you see different results the problem with too much space is it allows the metal to hit with more impact on each other and overtime can cause damage to both surfaces if that makes sense the noise is increased during colder weather as metal shrinks or contracts. the noise will go away once the engine warms up or in warmer temperatures as metal expands however overtime the more the engine is subjected to colder weather and that ticking noise happens the gap will increase between the two metal surfaces as eventually need repaired
I also might add with bigger valve clearance the engine is not only generating the ticking noise, but also becoming less efficient (less MPG) due to valve opening is smaller than designed.

Also the switchable hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA) installed on cylinder #1 and #4 are new parts for cylinder deactivation. I’d say this’s another CD related problem like the falling rocker arms.

Back