All weather mats question

Those tuxmats look amazing. Really bummed that they don't make a captain's chair compatible set. I emailed them and they said they're not interested in making those. I assume the market is just too small for that specific style.

Those tuxmats look amazing. Really bummed that they don't make a captain's chair compatible set. I emailed them and they said they're not interested in making those. I assume the market is just too small for that specific style.

Ah, bummer. It's probably the right business decision for them.

Matt that is a great review and photos! We just picked up our 2021 and have 3 young kids...first thing I am looking for are all weather mats! Lol My list includes:

1. Weathertech
2. Husky
3. OEM
4. 3D
5. Smart Liner
6. And now also Tuxmat

Can't make up my mind but for sure need 3rd row protection and some on the list don't make it for that row. Decisions decisions.....

Matt that is a great review and photos! We just picked up our 2021 and have 3 young kids...first thing I am looking for are all weather mats! Lol My list includes:

1. Weathertech
2. Husky
3. OEM
4. 3D
5. Smart Liner
6. And now also Tuxmat

Can't make up my mind but for sure need 3rd row protection and some on the list don't make it for that row. Decisions decisions.....

Yeah, lots to choose from. I would buy the Tuxmats again in heartbeat. This past weekend was the first time I cleaned them and it was very easy to make them look new again (a lot easier than the rubber mats in my Jeep). Vacuum anything loose, then wipe with an all purpose cleaner sprayed into a microfiber, and then finish with 303 Aerospace spray in a microfiber. I am completely convinced that the soft plastic/pleather-like material is the way to go for mats - no more rubber or hard plastic mats for me.

@Matt_H For the driver mat it looks like tuxmat has its own clip. Does it require any modification to the OEM clip? Thank you.

No modification is required. The Tuxmat actually completely covers the OEM clips and uses it's own clip. The reason they do this is it creates a more reliable waterproof system. If you look back at my pictures you can see the circular humps that cover the front mat clips.

Yeah, lots to choose from. I would buy the Tuxmats again in heartbeat. This past weekend was the first time I cleaned them and it was very easy to make them look new again (a lot easier than the rubber mats in my Jeep). Vacuum anything loose, then wipe with an all purpose cleaner sprayed into a microfiber, and then finish with 303 Aerospace spray in a microfiber. I am completely convinced that the soft plastic/pleather-like material is the way to go for mats - no more rubber or hard plastic mats for me.

No modification is required. The Tuxmat actually completely covers the OEM clips and uses it's own clip. The reason they do this is it creates a more reliable waterproof system. If you look back at my pictures you can see the circular humps that cover the front mat clips.

When you say soft pleather material, are they squishy soft like some old school pleather seats and compress when you place feet on them? Or pretty sturdy? I am heavily leaning on buying these asap. I am going to reach out to company to see if they have plans to make a cargo cover too.

When you say soft pleather material, are they squishy soft like some old school pleather seats and compress when you place feet on them? Or pretty sturdy? I am heavily leaning on buying these asap. I am going to reach out to company to see if they have plans to make a cargo cover too.

The raised portions are more "squishy-like" that compress slightly when there is weight on them. The flat portions are much stiffer. The mat itself is very stiff and retains its shape. It's just not ultra rigid like a hard plastic mat. They are very complimentary of the interior - more luxury feeling than a hard plastic or rubber mat, which I would describe as more utilitarian. I would bet they perform better than most alternative options as they have just simply have more coverage and the clips to keep them in place around the edges.

Hi Matt. How is that Tuxmat front drive seat clip attached? Do you have to drill into the carpet?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210210-100105_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210210-100105_Samsung Internet.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 220
Thanks Matt! Hmmm I am worried about puncturing carpet and some how if water intrusion happens it could leak down to floorboard perhaps? Maybe rust or mold develops?

I think I would buy some hook-and-loop adhesive strips and test them to see if they attach to the carpet well. If they do, I would then grind the pin down or cut it off, then apply a hook-and-loop adhesive strip to the bottom of the clip.

I think I would buy some hook-and-loop adhesive strips and test them to see if they attach to the carpet well. If they do, I would then grind the pin down or cut it off, then apply a hook-and-loop adhesive strip to the bottom of the clip.
Read my mind...this is what I will do.

Thanks Matt! Hmmm I am worried about puncturing carpet and some how if water intrusion happens it could leak down to floorboard perhaps? Maybe rust or mold develops?

Unless you're planning on a monsoon inside your CX-9 I wouldn't expect that to happen. The sealed cap is elevated off the mat. Also, for the many millions of vehicles out there without floor mats in places where it rains or snows, I have never heard of mold or rust developing inside. I drive a Wrangler and have had water up to my ankles in the front footwells and once it had been drained and dried there is no sign of rust or mold. I think you're overthinking placing a pin size hole in your carpet.

Unless you're planning on a monsoon inside your CX-9 I wouldn't expect that to happen. The sealed cap is elevated off the mat. Also, for the many millions of vehicles out there without floor mats in places where it rains or snows, I have never heard of mold or rust developing inside. I drive a Wrangler and have had water up to my ankles in the front footwells and once it had been drained and dried there is no sign of rust or mold. I think you're overthinking placing a pin size hole in your carpet.

Well you do have a point...overthinking is my middle name lol.

Mats just arrived going to toy around with it a bit after I leave in the sun to help get it's shape back.

Attachments

• 16138600774232792989916830292189.jpg
    16138600774232792989916830292189.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 188
Had there been any consensus about options for the 6 seater without the center console? Just picked up a CX9 Carbon and can't seem to find mats other than the weathertech that fit the 2nd row.

Back