Low engine coolant

If you open the tank and can't see green fluid, it's low. Bringing it up to the full line results in about half an inch fluid being visible through the opening. BTW, I don't think that's a terribly accurate line drawing as the tank is configured a little different from that.(scratch)

Perhaps a difference between the 2.0 and 2.5L motors?
MA3014114_2.jpg

index.27.gif

Last edited:
If there are specs to follow then that is the best logical approach.
The problem here is Mazda has given us conflict information on capacities and gear lubricant changing procedures. So which way should we follow? Most experienced DIYers and I would follow Mazda Service Manual as thats the way we always do to fill the gear lub up to the fill hole for real differential although itd be 56% more than specified capacity.

FYI, for your 2017 CX-5, Mazda has specified even smaller 0.37 US quarts for real differential lub capacity. Who knows how much more itd take to have the gear lub to reach the fill hole.

Oh okay. Technically one could open the cap/cover from the top and "think" that its low when in fact it could be in range. Only because the indicators are facing the engine and not readily visible?
No I believe whoever bothers to check the coolant, he/she would check the coolant level from outside of reservoir with F and L marks. Most car owners would also consider the fluid level is low if it isnt on the Full mark. Even Mazdas owners manual says to bring the fluid level to the Full mark if its near or at the Low mark.

Thr actual CX-5 coolant reservoir looks different from the one mazdadude posted. The F mark is partially disrupted by a hose and its more difficult to read:

attachment.php

View attachment 218093

Low coolant with such low mileage is not normal. Buy some FL-22 coolant from the dealer and use that to top up. Occasionally using some distilled water is okay too.

I have a 2018 CX -5, the reservoir level goes low after driving the car for a few days. I topped it off countless times since I bought it. I took the car to the dealership on three occasions, they topped it off twice and asked me to drive it until it goes down again. They are giving me the run around and avoid fixing the problem. I also opened a case with Mazda and they are supporting the dealership decision. The car is still under the 3 years 36K miles warranty.
This is a known issue with Mazda - unfortunately many owners does not know of this because the dealership will keep topping off the coolant level.
Any suggestion from anyone will be helpful.

I have a 2018 CX -5, the reservoir level goes low after driving the car for a few days. I topped it off countless times since I bought it. I took the car to the dealership on three occasions, they topped it off twice and asked me to drive it until it goes down again. They are giving me the run around and avoid fixing the problem. I also opened a case with Mazda and they are supporting the dealership decision. The car is still under the 3 years 36K miles warranty.
This is a known issue with Mazda - unfortunately many owners does not know of this because the dealership will keep topping off the coolant level.
When you say it goes low, do you mean below the L mark?

Sorry should have said empty -
Many here, me included, have experienced low coolant and requires topping off periodically. Usually the coolant would dropped to L mark but rarely to empty on reservoir.

If your fairly new 2018 CX -5 (how many miles?) the reservoir level goes low after driving the car only for a few days, this’s definitely not normal and requires attention. There’s a leak somewhere in coolant system, most likely on water pump. There’s a TSB for it but may not include newer models. When you topped it off countless times since you bought it, did you use OEM FL22 coolant?

You should pursue this issue to higher authorities within Mazda North American Operations since you’ve already had the case number. Report the issue to NHTSA website and BBB too. Alternatively you may try another Mazda dealer for the problem if there’s one available. It’s easier to get the issue resolved if the Mazda dealer agrees with you for such obvious problem with some simple pressure test, and the sign of coolant leak around the water pump.

Thank you - First - I used the coolant purchased from the Mazda Dealer, don't recall the exact name. The dealership topped it off twice also.
At tis point, the dealership did two pressure test - they said that they did not find any leaks. I also contacted Mazda Corporate, they are of no help currently.
I did some research on this and found articles about this issue with Mazda CX5 in Taiwan. They found that the loss of fluid happens in driving conditions. Mazda was forced to do a recall and fix the issue. If they could not fix it - they promised a buyback.
It seems like this is a known issue on these cars. I have other cars, and don't recall having to add coolant.
At this point, I am very frustrated - the runaround from the dealer does not help either. I don't trust them.

Mileage on my 2018 Mazda = 25103 miles

Thank you - First - I used the coolant purchased from the Mazda Dealer, don't recall the exact name. The dealership topped it off twice also.
At tis point, the dealership did two pressure test - they said that they did not find any leaks. I also contacted Mazda Corporate, they are of no help currently.
I did some research on this and found articles about this issue with Mazda CX5 in Taiwan. They found that the loss of fluid happens in driving conditions. Mazda was forced to do a recall and fix the issue. If they could not fix it - they promised a buyback.
It seems like this is a known issue on these cars. I have other cars, and don't recall having to add coolant.
At this point, I am very frustrated - the runaround from the dealer does not help either. I don't trust them.

Mileage on my 2018 Mazda = 25103 miles
I can feel you frustration as I had similar experience by the US headquarter of the car manufacture who had been refusing to do anything on oil consumption issue for my previous 2001.5 VW Passat under new car warranty. The result was I dumped the car few years later which is against my habit of keeping my car forever when it’s bought new. And I would never buy another VW even though I‘d been purchasing new VWs for 30 years.

At this stage you should do things I suggested previously. And keep the case open with MNAO and send them the evidence of coolant disappearing within an unreasonable period of time. Take a picture with timestamp of coolant level at “F” mark, then take another picture of coolant level when it goes down below “L” mark. If the period is within 8 months, there’s definitely a leak somewhere. Ask a supervisor or manager from MNAO and questioning them this can’t be normal. Tell them you believe the Mazda dealer is incompetent and ask them to send a field engineer coming over to meet with you at a Mazda dealership discussing the problem.

Just did a TSB search and found there’s a newly updated TSB on water pump leak for 2013 ~ 2020 CX-5 which does include your 2018 CX-5.

TSB# 01-022/19 - WATER PUMP COOLANT LEAK

As the government initiated recall on sudden overheating problem in Taiwan that you mentioned is only for CX-5 2.2L diesel. That issue has nothing to do with our SkyActiv-G 2.0L / 2.5L gasoline engines.

Last edited:
There’s a flow-chart in the TSB. You can wait until the coolant level dropped below the “L” mark in expansion tank, and bring your 2018 CX-5 in with a copy of the TSB, and ask the dealer to check the coolant leak following the flow-chart in the TSB. They have to do something based on the flow-chart under warranty.

You are a Genius - thank you for sharing your knowledge in this forum.

On October 10, 2020 the mileage was 22,604- this was indicated on the dealership work order / status. They did a pressure and topped off the antifreeze.They marked the reservoir to indicate the level.
On 1/27/2021, the mileage was 25,425, approximately 3000 miles later, the tank was almost empty.
The dealer refused to do anything other than a pressure test again, topped off the reservoir and asked me to bring it back when it's completely empty. I will again have to drive the car for another 3000 miles and take it back in. In the meantime - the 3 years 36000 miles warranty will expire.
I took the car in four times for this issue - and they refused to do anything to resolve the issue.

You are a Genius - thank you for sharing your knowledge in this forum.

On October 10, 2020 the mileage was 22,604- this was indicated on the dealership work order / status. They did a pressure and topped off the antifreeze.They marked the reservoir to indicate the level.
On 1/27/2021, the mileage was 25,425, approximately 3000 miles later, the tank was almost empty.
The dealer refused to do anything other than a pressure test again, topped off the reservoir and asked me to bring it back when it's completely empty. I will again have to drive the car for another 3000 miles and take it back in. In the meantime - the 3 years 36000 miles warranty will expire.
I took the car in four times for this issue - and they refused to do anything to resolve the issue.
If I were you I’d call MNAO and escalate the case to upper management as I believe you do have a case here. Most likely the culprit is the water pump like the TSB indicated. As long as you keep the case open on coolant leak issue, Mazda is obligated to fix it for free as you has reported the issue when the CX-5 is having the warranty. And the water pump is also covered under 5-year / 60K-mile warranty. Of course you want the issue resolved as soon as possible.

Back