2017~2024 Need tail light

:
2018 CX-5 Touring AWD
I have a 2018 CX-5 Touring

I need to get a new tail light (passenger side) because the one I have it's broken. The dealer would do it for $396.18, I'm assuming that's parts and labor. I checked prices and I found it for much less at RealMazdaParts and Amazon for about $150.

How important is it that I get OEM parts? Are generics ok? If that's the case, RockAuto is even cheaper at around $80.

Do these come with the light (bulb) or is the case only? Because I also need the light.

How easy is it for someone like me who is not a skilled person at fixing anything to replace this?

Finally, besides the places I mentioned, where do you get your parts?

Thank you.

The tail lights are extremely easy to replace with simple tools. Check youtube for instructions. It literally takes about 5 minutes to swap one out. I would buy the cheapest one you can find as they all will look/function the same (as long as it isn't an aftermarket light which is designed to be different than the stock light). You should be able to swap the bulbs from your broken light into the new light (unless they were destroyed too). Some come with bulbs, some don't.

The tail lights are extremely easy to replace with simple tools. Check youtube for instructions. It literally takes about 5 minutes to swap one out. I would buy the cheapest one you can find as they all will look/function the same (as long as it isn't an aftermarket light which is designed to be different than the stock light). You should be able to swap the bulbs from your broken light into the new light (unless they were destroyed too). Some come with bulbs, some don't.
Can you please explain what you mean by "aftermarket"?

Thank you.

Not made sold by Mazda. Many companies make copies of an OEM product that is not discernible from the OEM item. That would be aftermarket. I would assume the one on Rock Auto is not OEM but I would have no issue trying it out. I had to replace a tail light on a 2011 Tacoma a few years ago and bought a brand new aftermarket light online. It was about 40 bucks and could not have been any more of a perfect match to the OEM unit I replaced.

Not made sold by Mazda. Many companies make copies of an OEM product that is not discernible from the OEM item. That would be aftermarket. I would assume the one on Rock Auto is not OEM but I would have no issue trying it out. I had to replace a tail light on a 2011 Tacoma a few years ago and bought a brand new aftermarket light online. It was about 40 bucks and could not have been any more of a perfect match to the OEM unit I replaced.
So you're saying don't buy aftermarket? Because the cheapest one I found is a non-OEM part at RockAuto.

No, I am saying to buy aftermarket as it won't be any different as long as it is made to look like the OEM unit.

The one you linked at RA looks to be identical and I would expect you will be quite happy with it.

I have a 2018 CX-5 Touring

I need to get a new tail light (passenger side) because the one I have it's broken. The dealer would do it for $396.18, I'm assuming that's parts and labor. I checked prices and I found it for much less at RealMazdaParts and Amazon for about $150.

How important is it that I get OEM parts? Are generics ok? If that's the case, RockAuto is even cheaper at around $80.

Do these come with the light (bulb) or is the case only? Because I also need the light.

How easy is it for someone like me who is not a skilled person at fixing anything to replace this?

Finally, besides the places I mentioned, where do you get your parts?

Thank you.
Choice between OEM and after-market parts depends on your needs and it’s your call. I keep my vehicle forever and I usually want OEM parts for the best quality and reliability. But if you’re not picky on parts quality as long as it fits, and plan to sell the car within several years, a good-quality after-market parts should be fine. The key is, finding a “good-quality” parts.

On tail light assembly the after-market one may look good when new with good fitment, but the color may fade after some years and it’d look different than the other side from factory. Verify these after-market parts which carry CAPA or NSF certification that is a good sigh. And try to find good reviews of the product to support it has good quality.

For light assemblies from OEM they won’t come with incandescent light bulbs except build-in LED lights. For after-market light assemblies they depend on manufacture. TYC is one of the largest after-market brand on automotive replacement lighting products. Their products usually are CAPA or NSF certified.

The 2018 OEM rear light I purchased came with bulbs and new wiring harness.
Good to know. The OEM LED headlight assembly and the outer LED tail light I had replaced on my 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech Package don't come with any incandescent light bulbs for turn signals.

Back