Sirius XM issues on a 2019 CX-5 GT

I updated the Mazda connect software to 70.00.367 last June and since that time have had no problems with SiriusXM. It may take a minute or two to load up; but has yet to fail.

I'm experiencing a pretty annoying issue with Sirius XM on my 2019 CX5 GT: upon starting the car (and waiting about a minute or so for the boot routine to complete) Sirius XM will not always work and the screen will display a message similar to "Siriu XM channels unavailable". In 80%-90% of the cases Sirius XM works. A few observations: if I select anything on the infotainment menu before allowing the system to finish the boot routine it's almost guaranteed that Sirius XM won't work and will display the above message.

I suspected an antenna issue of some sorts but while the system displays the unavailability of Sirius XM channels, I have no issues tuning into the, I think free, Sirius XM channels - there are about 10 free (?) channels upwards of channel 310.

Resending the signal request doesn't fix the issue. The only procedure that helps sometimes is turning the system off and wait for a few minutes, but again it's a guessing game if Sirius XM works after that. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

Worth mentioning is that prior to my CX5 GT I owned a 2015 Mazda 6 GT and I never ever had an issue with Sirius XM in that car.

I called Sirius XM about this and, as expected, they said the issue is not with them but rather with my unit in the car and I should raise this with Mazda.

Following that advice, I had Mazda dealer update the firmware to the latest one available but that hasn't fixed the issue either.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Any thoughts?
I had the same issue for over a year. Finally solved with latest Update from Mazda a few months ago. Ask your Service Dept. or contact Mazda USA.

Good information about the SiruisXM unavailable issue, and proves I am not going nuts!!! I have the same problem on my CX5 Reserve, and recently had the service department update the software for the in-car entertainment system. It made no difference, and 2 times since last week after the upgrade have seen the fault. I have not looked at TravelLink yet., but did tune OFF the HD RADIO, as that seems to block SiriusXM totally. I even had SiriusXM resend the authorizing signal, and no luck - can be done through you account online. I believe it to be the antenna or perhaps the satellite signal tuner/converter, and I know the service guys do not believe me. I now have a video showing the problem and the high order channels that can be tuned to so I can prove it. Sometimes, I cannot get channel 0 for the ID without getting an error message on that as well!!!
Get the latest Update from your Dealer. Solved my issue.

OK, and I have the latest update: 70.00.367 NA N, but experienced the problem 2 times so far. Most annoying as the car is otherwise great. Probably need to take it in the next time the problem occurs and leave the car running until the service guys check it out :-(

Dealer also replaced my entire Infotainment System months before the latest Update. I have not had any issues since the latest Update months ago.

The failure mode was slightly different earlier this month: Instead of just displaying the Sirius channels on my Favorites screen with me unable to select them, it gave me a series of screens: *Connecting to Sirius radio* , *Unable to connect to Sirius radio*, *Check Sirius Tuner*.

We bought a used 2019 CX-9 this summer. I was seeing the "Check Sirius Tuner" message this morning. I don't use or care about Sirius, but the error pops on and off every couple of minutes even when CarPlay is used. Annoying. When I tried to select Sirius to see what would happen, I got the other two screens mentioned.

Only thing I can observe is that it was the coldest day since we bought it, but it didn't start until after about 30 minutes. The car interior was warmed up by then.

I doubt an over the air update from Sirius could cause this. Seems like an intermittent hardware or software issue.

I'm experiencing a pretty annoying issue with Sirius XM on my 2019 CX5 GT: upon starting the car (and waiting about a minute or so for the boot routine to complete) Sirius XM will not always work and the screen will display a message similar to "Siriu XM channels unavailable". In 80%-90% of the cases Sirius XM works. A few observations: if I select anything on the infotainment menu before allowing the system to finish the boot routine it's almost guaranteed that Sirius XM won't work and will display the above message.

I suspected an antenna issue of some sorts but while the system displays the unavailability of Sirius XM channels, I have no issues tuning into the, I think free, Sirius XM channels - there are about 10 free (?) channels upwards of channel 310.

Resending the signal request doesn't fix the issue. The only procedure that helps sometimes is turning the system off and wait for a few minutes, but again it's a guessing game if Sirius XM works after that. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

Worth mentioning is that prior to my CX5 GT I owned a 2015 Mazda 6 GT and I never ever had an issue with Sirius XM in that car.

I called Sirius XM about this and, as expected, they said the issue is not with them but rather with my unit in the car and I should raise this with Mazda.

Following that advice, I had Mazda dealer update the firmware to the latest one available but that hasn't fixed the issue either.

Contact Mazda USA. I had to have my Infotainment System replaced and software updated. Took over a year but works since then.

Just to help everyone with a 2019 CX-5 Mazda has issued a Service Alert: SA-047/19. I have enclosed the alert.

Attachments

• Service Alert SA-047-19.pdf
    535.8 KB · Views: 281
Just to help everyone with a 2019 CX-5 Mazda has issued a Service Alert: SA-047/19. I have enclosed the alert.
This is a horrible "solution". It doesn't work anywhere near as well off AA on my radio as it does with the built in tuner. Many times I can't get anything to pull up when I try through AA.

That’s an old bulletin, the fix was to upgrade to latest infotainment firmware version.
My 2019 has not had the issues with XM since.

When I told my Mazda service dept. about the alert they couldn't find it. So the fix for SA-047/19 was to just update the firmware, is there fix service alert sheet out there to see what the fix was. Well it didn't fix my 2019 CX-5 GT/PP. There has to be more to this problem then just a firmware update!!

I will try the SD Nav card removal for a couple of weeks!!

Last edited:
Free trial period ?
Wow! have the exact same issue. Exact. Pursued it with the dealer on my brand new cx5 gtr to the point they gave me a another new one. This took numerous calls to both mazda corporate and xm. XM insists its a hardware / software issue on the CX5. Mazda insists its an XM signal issue. New car, exact same model and trim.... exact same xm radio issue. Going to live with it. So many hours and do much effort spent trying to resolve, wasted... Won't be buying another Mazda again....

Bill,
I am in the process of following the SD Nav card instructions. I have had the SD card out for 4 weeks now and had no problem with Sirius XM. I will clean the contacts on the SD card and replace and see what happens. I will get back with the results.

Contact Mazda USA. I had to have my Infotainment System replaced and software updated. Took over a year but works since then.

I got my 2020 Miata GT about 90 days ago and have the occasional "SiriusXM unavailable" problem. I would have thought they'd have updated the car with the latest firmware before giving it to me.

I'll give them a call today and check if I have Travel links on or off. I take it this issue has been solved?

Well the SD Nav card is back in my 2019 CX-5 GT/PP. The card was out for a month and had no problems with the Sirius XM. I cleaned the contacts with the eraser and some contact cleaner. Ran the SD card in and out a few times, where I could see the contact points touching the card. I did notice a beep sound when using the navigation, not sure I heard that before. I will report any new problems when they happen.

I also called Mazda North America and asked about SA: 047/19. The CS person said they are still working on the problem with Mazda Japan and North America and Sirius XM.

I have the exact problem. I have a new 2020 purchased in November and still on the Sirius free trial.

Is this still giving you problems?

Dennis,
Yes, I have had 3 update's done and the problem still exist. I am trying the SD card cleaning and see if this helps. I would think you have the latest software in the 2020 CX-5. You can call Mazda North America and report the problem it won't hurt. If you go back in the messages and look at Service Alert: 047/19, they are working on the fix!!

Dennis,
Yes, I have had 3 update's done and the problem still exist. I am trying the SD card cleaning and see if this helps. I would think you have the latest software in the 2020 CX-5. You can call Mazda North America and report the problem it won't hurt. If you go back in the messages and look at Service Alert: 047/19, they are working on the fix!!

I just read that Service Alert.....that's pretty much what happens all right. Except with mine -- I can't always get it to work by turning the ignition on/off. And when it is working - I can't hear it due to wind noise - but that's OK.

Last edited:
One of the work-arounds for Service Alert: 047/19 is to use carplay's sirius XM App. I have two cars I'm paying for Sirius XM so I could use the APP and cancel the subscription on the Mazda? Why pay for the subscription while Mazda works on a solution?

But I digress. I'm curious as to what the NAV SD card has to do with SiriusXM connecting?

Back