CX-5 Clattering noise when accelerating

Hi all, I recently purchased a used 2017 CX-5 with 30k miles on it a week ago. I've been driving it on and off (not much), but today I noticed a clattering noise. I can only hear it when I hit the accelerator lightly at around 20-30 MPH when the engine is initially at 1,000 RPM (before I hit the gas). I can't hear it when I do the same in sport mode. I think I may be able to hear it a bit when decelerating with my foot off the gas around the same speeds, but I'm not sure.

It sounds like it's coming from underneath me, so not in the engine area. It's a clattering/vibrating sound. I've included an audio clip. Is this worth taking to the dealer to check out?

Actual final update. They replaced the rear differential coupling but even that did not solve it. However, some problem solver at Mazda HQ told them to replace the tires. The car came with two new back tires when I got it, so they replaced the front ones and voila, no more sound! So in the end, somehow it was the tires. I have the car back now :)
What a surprise! Thanks for the update!

Upvote 0
Too much difference in the circumference of the new to old tires causing the AWD system to object. The usual circumference difference that is acceptable is 1/4 inch max which is about 2.5/32 difference in tread dept for these size tires. Ed

Upvote 0
Too much difference in the circumference of the new to old tires causing the AWD system to object. The usual circumference difference that is acceptable is 1/4 inch max which is about 2.5/32 difference in tread dept for these size tires. Ed
Interesting. I wonder if that's what happened because they put only new tires on the back.

Upvote 0
Hi all, I recently purchased a used 2017 CX-5 with 30k miles on it a week ago. I've been driving it on and off (not much), but today I noticed a clattering noise. I can only hear it when I hit the accelerator lightly at around 20-30 MPH when the engine is initially at 1,000 RPM (before I hit the gas). I can't hear it when I do the same in sport mode. I think I may be able to hear it a bit when decelerating with my foot off the gas around the same speeds, but I'm not sure.

It sounds like it's coming from underneath me, so not in the engine area. It's a clattering/vibrating sound. I've included an audio clip. Is this worth taking to the dealer to check out?

Hi, I think my 2019 CX5 has similar noise like yours. I went to the dealer twice but they could not identify the issue. The noise happens when I release the gas pedal. The noise does not happen all the time which makes it hard to identify by the technician as well.

Upvote 0
Hi, I think my 2019 CX5 has similar noise like yours. I went to the dealer twice but they could not identify the issue. The noise happens when I release the gas pedal. The noise does not happen all the time which makes it hard to identify by the technician as well.
Hmm interesting. I honestly can't remember if mine made the noise when I took my foot off the gas, but if it's not happening when you hit the gas, I don't think it's the same thing. Most people including my dealer checked the heat shields first, did you have yours check that?

Upvote 0

My new 2022 CX-5 (N/A, AWD) made that sound 3 times yesterday on my highway drive home, accelerating moderately hard (pressing down quite a bit on the accelerator, but not to the floor). I was probably going around 50-55 mph, accelerating to 60-65 mph. Another time going from 40-45 to 50-55. Didn't hear it again the rest of the drive home. Once I got off the highway, I tried accelerating from a stop moderately hard too.. didn't hear any more.

I'm pretty sure it can't be the tires, as I only have ~900 miles on the odometer. Unless it keeps happening more frequently, I won't worry about it too much.

Upvote 0
Back