What have you done to your CX-5 today?

Today I bought locking hole plugs to paint and install in my old front license plate holes... then misplaced my touch up paint kit.
4 hours later...
still no sign of it in the house. 😞

Today I bought locking hole plugs to paint and install in my old front license plate holes... then misplaced my touch up paint kit.
4 hours later...
still no sign of it in the house. 😞
Well at least you live in a state that allows no front license plates unless you are using an alternative front license plate mounting point such as the tow hook hole.

Well at least you live in a state that allows no front license plates unless you are using an alternative front license plate mounting point such as the tow hook hole.
This is true. I moved to a new state 3 years ago and have been sporting the giant metal screws on the front bumper the whole time. been working on my chrome delete mods all month and the ugly screws had to go.

As soon as you buy a replacement pen you'll find the old one. lol
Oh my gosh I know! I have torn my place apart and even dug through the trash. Had to drive 30 minutes to the dealer to get that thing too! Luckily I had already used it to fix all my rock chips a few days ago. I'm still mad about it though... 😂

Not today, but on Wednesday. The wrench indicator and “Oil change due” notification have been displayed for about 2 weeks by 12-month usage duration cap from Maintenance Monitor although the oil has only been used for 2,728 miles due to the pandemic. Changed oil and oil filter with Mazda 0W-20 moly oil and OEM PE01-14-302A Tokyo Roki Japanese oil filter. As usual, the 2.5L needs 5.2 quarts of oil to make the oil level reaching the “Full” mark of the dipstick when measured the next day in the morning cold. And the engine burned about 0.2 quart of oil for 2,728 miles.

6C81ECD2-0749-48FE-8F30-78713206C1B0.jpeg

F9A47BE5-ACD9-4562-8099-DFB5CE7C0320.jpeg

52197ED8-4F3D-4AE0-B422-073AC6B978E8.jpeg

Last edited:
Not today, but on Wednesday. The wrench indicator and “Oil change due” notification have been displayed for about 2 weeks by 12-month usage duration cap from Maintenance Monitor although the oil has only been used for 2,728 miles due to the pandemic. Changed oil and oil filter with Mazda 0W-20 moly oil and OEM PE01-14-302 Tokyo Roki Japanese oil filter. As usual, the 2.5L needs 5.2 quarts of oil to make the oil level reaching the “Full” mark of the dipstick when measured the next day in the morning cold. And the engine burned about 0.2 quart of oil for 2,728 miles.

View attachment 234041
View attachment 234042
View attachment 234045

Where are you sourcing the OEM PE01-14-302 Tokyo Roki Japanese oil filters?

Where are you sourcing the OEM PE01-14-302 Tokyo Roki Japanese oil filters?
Sorry I didn’t say I have A version, not the B version currently comes from factory. I have stocked plenty of PE01-14-302A Tokyo Roki Japanese oil filters when it’s still available from certain large Mazda dealers. After people here had started mentioning that the Japanese Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302A was superseded by Thai Denso 1WPE-14-302 filter, I noticed tomcat1446 got Japanese filter from Med Center Mazda when he did an oil change writeup. I called them in advance making sure they still have Japanese filter left in stock, and ordered all 21 of them in Nov. 2016. I have no regrets getting that many as I keep my car forever, and the OEM Japanese filter is better made than OEM Thai filter, although it’s still excellent, even if I just compare them side by side visually.

I did more spot spraying of fluid film underneath because I have been driving in a lot of salt water. Had snow and ice the past week and a half. Also got an extra pair of jack stands for peace of mind having a bunch of them under the car for redundancy. Not too much rust so far.

Under1.jpg
Under2.jpg

Sorry I didn’t say I have A version, not the B version currently comes from factory. I have stocked plenty of PE01-14-302A Tokyo Roki Japanese oil filters when it’s still available from certain large Mazda dealers. After people here had started mentioning that the Japanese Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302A was superseded by Thai Denso 1WPE-14-302 filter, I noticed tomcat1446 got Japanese filter from Med Center Mazda when he did an oil change writeup. I called them in advance making sure they still have Japanese filter left in stock, and ordered all 21 of them in Nov. 2016. I have no regrets getting that many as I keep my car forever, and the OEM Japanese filter is better made than OEM Thai filter, although it’s still excellent, even if I just compare them side by side visually.

So you're the one who bought em all?!?!?!?

Selfish much? ;) :)

Fumoto valve FTW. Google it.
Fumoto drain valve once installed, extends into the oil pan so that it is not flush and could allow for build up of unwanted particles inside the pan. The oil drain speed is restricted, and a fair amount of oil can’t be drained out completely.

Above is a very informative link about Fumoto drain valve although this "Mythbusters: Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve" is for a 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX STi:
NateCal said:
Myth #1- The Fumoto Engine Oil Drain Valve, once installed, extends into the oil pan so that it is not flush and could allow for build up of unwanted particles inside the pan.

So as far as Myth #1 goes, it is:
The Fumoto valve extends aprox 1/8" to 3/16" into the oil pan.

Myth #2- Due to Myth #1, metal shavings and other particles will remain in the oil pan when using the Fumoto Oil Drain Valve to change your engine oil.

Plausible!

Also this observation is consistent with the statement I saw for the CX-5 with a Fumoto drain valve:
NateCal said:
To me, that says the 1/8" to 3/16" of the valve extended inside the pan is NOT stopping the oil from bringing all the crap out with it when it is draining.

However, I cleaned my oil pan again, and planned to remove the Fumoto valve and flush a full quart of fresh oil through just to see what else would come out without the valve installed.

When I removed the valve I was kinda of shocked by the amount of oil that was still in the oil pan. There was probably a good 10 second stream of oil that came out once the valve was removed.

Then I ran the full quart of fresh oil through (without the valve installed). I then repeated the process of carefully dumping the oil, leaving the crap behind, to examine the oil pan. And the was NOTHING. The pan was clean as a whistle. Everything came out when I initially drained the oil using the valve. Even with the little oil that was trapped in the pan by the Fumoto valve.

nutcore said:
thank you for some actual evidence Nate. It's good to know that Fomoto lies to your face claiming that the threads don't extend into the pan.
Q. Does my Engine Oil Drain Valve protrude into the interior of the oil pan and prevent full drainage of my engine oil?

A. No. The threaded oil drain plug hole is always reinforced to accept the threaded bolt of the drain plug. In most cases, the Engine Oil Drain Valve will not extend past this threaded portion of the drain hole and will allow the oil to be properly drained. Your Engine Oil Drain Valve will let you drain your engine oil while it is hot without burning your hands and it is much more effective than trying to pump the oil out from above.

My number #1 choice is a Base/Sport Alfa Romeo Stelvio, second is a Turbo CX5. GTR or Carbon.
I would like a TI Sport AWD Alfa, but they are way out of my budget.
Maybe a 21' Sprint(new Base name) AWD.
There are huge discounts on these cars, I mean over 20-25% off MSRP huge. I'm shooting for something around $33-34k.
I'm in love with those red seats/interior. There is a huge wheels gap, no paddles, that I will have to take care.

Took her for an oil change. Got to take care of my girl. I was a little less than impressed with the dealership though. For $100 oil change ya think they would have thrown up that little courtesy reminder sticker..nope. Sigh. Can’t get good service these days it seems.

Took her for an oil change. Got to take care of my girl. I was a little less than impressed with the dealership though. For $100 oil change ya think they would have thrown up that little courtesy reminder sticker..nope. Sigh. Can’t get good service these days it seems.
Your dealer did the right thing. Your CX-5 equipped with a “dynamic” and real-time oil change reminder right in your dash, and hopefully the oil change schedule in maintenance monitor has been reset to 7,500 miles or 100% oil life remaining with Flexible OCI.

You paid $100 for an oil change?

Back