2018 CX-5 GT Ticking sound?

ryan1234

https://youtu.be/pd--kIyBjTk

I have a 2018 CX-5 GT with 16,000km on it. I change the oil every 5,000km with Castrol 0W20 and an OEM filter. Last oil change was about 2 months ago. Just started noticing the ticking noise (in the YouTube video) about 2 days ago. I checked the oil level and it looks fine. I had the car in for the recall update in the summer. The only thing that is really different is the weather has been colder here in Toronto the past couple of days. Anyone know what this ticking sound is?

Last edited:
https://youtu.be/pd--kIyBjTk

I have a 2018 CX-5 GT with 16,000km on it. I change the oil every 5,000km with Castrol 0W20 and an OEM filter. Last oil change was about 2 months ago. Just started noticing the ticking noise (in the YouTube video) about 2 days ago. I checked the oil level and it looks fine. I had the car in for the recall update in the summer. The only thing that is really different is the weather has been colder here in Toronto the past couple of days. Anyone know what this ticking sound is?
I assume the engine was fully warmed up when you recorded the video. The ticking noise is from valve clearance and it should be very minimum with hydraulic lifter or hydraulic lash adjuster. Oil quality would be my first guess which causes this ticking noise. Where did you make your last oil change? Are you sure you got good Castrol 0W-20 oil? If youre really concerned, you can change the oil (preferably at a Mazda dealer) and see if the noise would be gone. If not, bring it up to your Mazda dealer and complain.

Was the recall youve done for cylinder deactivation?

It wasnt fully warmed up when I made the video. As I mentioned, it has been pretty cold here (-10C) and it was after a fairly short trip.

I did the oil change myself, and it was Castrol 0W20 from Canadian Tire. Dont see how there could be any issues with that.

Im about to take it out for a good drive and warm it up. Will see if it goes away.

Yes - I did the cylinder deactivation recall back in the summer (maybe 5-6 months ago). Didnt have any issues.

It wasnt fully warmed up when I made the video. As I mentioned, it has been pretty cold here (-10C) and it was after a fairly short trip.

I did the oil change myself, and it was Castrol 0W20 from Canadian Tire. Dont see how there could be any issues with that.

Im about to take it out for a good drive and warm it up. Will see if it goes away.

Yes - I did the cylinder deactivation recall back in the summer (maybe 5-6 months ago). Didnt have any issues.
What kind of Castrol though? Edge、GTX Magnatec? Getting oil from Canadian Tire? Thats something I cant imagine in the US (getting oil from a tire company). :)

If you plan for a good drive, try to rev your engine almost to the redline a couple of times making sure your rocker arms are all in the right place.

Castrol Edge.

I just went for a good 40 minute drive. When I started it, the noise was there but more faint than last night. Its also a lot milder today (about +2C). I got it up to temp and couldnt notice the noise at all. Revved up to about 5,500rpm in third gear on the highway a few times. Just pulled into a parking lot, and popped the hood. The noise is completely gone.

Could this be related to the cold temperatures last night?

Castrol Edge.

I just went for a good 40 minute drive. When I started it, the noise was there but more faint than last night. Its also a lot milder today (about +2C). I got it up to temp and couldnt notice the noise at all. Revved up to about 5,500rpm in third gear on the highway a few times. Just pulled into a parking lot, and popped the hood. The noise is completely gone.

Could this be related to the cold temperatures last night?
Youre fine and all rocker arms are also nicely seated. With 0W-20 oil hearing valve clicking noise from time to time is pretty common especially when the weather is cold. I also noticed that the 5W-30 oil will make our valve train noise quieter.

Also, it might be the high pressure fuel pump like how this Toyota sounds. For Toyota it is considered normal.

That sounds like a normal skyactiv engine.
Agreed. And Ive to agree with a guy used to be here insisting 5W-30 oil is better for SkyActiv-G engine. 5W-30 oil offers less oil consumption、and less valve train noise. And its approved by Mazda everywhere in the world for SkyActiv-G other than in the US and Canada.

Also, it might be the high pressure fuel pump like how this Toyota sounds. For Toyota it is considered normal.

This sounded horrible, but the noise is different from OPs first video. Toyotas new 203 hp Dynamic Force 2.5L is very noisy on idle too.

my 2018 w/ 31000 miles literally just started making this sound yesterday
Has been a bit cold here for a few days too, lows around 20F (-6c) +/-
after a driving around town for a bit, and a subsequent restart I didn't seem to notice it
after it sat for a while I checked oil (which was changed at the dealer about 1K miles ago) and level is fine
I also had the recall service done in the summer
this is the second winter with it, didn't notice it last year
maybe it has something to do with the oil pressure chg done by the ECM flash/recall?
a bit relieved to find others are hearing it too and that it may be normal
will surely keep an ear on it and bring it up to the dealer at next service

my 2018 w/ 31000 miles literally just started making this sound yesterday
Has been a bit cold here for a few days too, lows around 20F (-6c) +/-
after a driving around town for a bit, and a subsequent restart I didn't seem to notice it
after it sat for a while I checked oil (which was changed at the dealer about 1K miles ago) and level is fine
I also had the recall service done in the summer
this is the second winter with it, didn't notice it last year
maybe it has something to do with the oil pressure chg done by the ECM flash/recall?
a bit relieved to find others are hearing it too and that it may be normal
will surely keep an ear on it and bring it up to the dealer at next service
I believe you just nailed it.

The ECM update for cylinder deactivation involves changes of regulating oil pressure. If I remember it correctly itll LOWER the oil pressure in certain conditions. Cold weather condition seems to be one of the conditions and thats why the alert CX-5 owners like you two here noticed valve ticking noise due to less oil feeding into the HLA. And the ticking noise wasnt there before the PCM update by the recall.

It sounds normal to me. According to Mazda, the engine retards timing 20 degrees during accelerated warmup and the loud ticking is fuel burning in the headers. It*s a Skyactiv engine trait that you will undoubtedly notice in the colder months. 100% normal.

It sounds normal to me. According to Mazda, the engine retards timing 20 degrees during accelerated warmup and the loud ticking is fuel burning in the headers. It*s a Skyactiv engine trait that you will undoubtedly notice in the colder months. 100% normal.
The ticking noise in the first video from OP is the valve clearance noise. Both members hearing such ticking noise claimed they didnt hear this noise until recent cold weather after the PCM update by the recall. Besides, accelerated warm-up happens every time we start a cold SkyActiv-G engine, this means we should hear such ticking noise each time we start a cold engine. But thats not the case from both reports.

My 2016 CX-5 doesnt have such ticking noise unless the engine hasnt been started for a long period of time. Even that, the ticking noise is gone within seconds.

There's a recent service alert (November 22, 2019, Service Alert No.: SA-012/19, "VALVE TAPPING OR KNOCKING NOISE HEARD FROM CYLINDER HEAD") that may be applicable.

Summary:
"A valve tapping or knocking noise may be heard from the top end after the engine cools down (the vehicle is parked overnight) or after it has been idling for an extended time. The tapping noise will decreases as the vehicle is being driven or if the rpm is held above 2500-3000 RPM. This may be caused by the valve Hydraulic Lifters (HLA) bleeding down as the engine cools or when the engine has been idling for an extended period of time, creating excessive valve lash clearance."

The diagnosis and repair procedure refers to inspection and replacement of the hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA). The inspection doesn't seem limited to the cylinders with deactivation (1 and 4), but the scope of the service alert is 2.5L with cylinder deactivation.

To my ear, it sounds like a bad belt tensioner.

The tensioner above the alternator is easy to pinpoint..........just check if it leaks. OP indicated he had a recall regarding the cylinder deactivation which probably explains the change in ticking. That said if there is no ticking I would be concerned :)

Made an appointment at the dealer to have the ticking/tapping checked out. Trouble is it has been warmer here for the last several days and I am unable to reproduce it.

I was hoping to at least to be able to catch a video of it so I could prove it to the service people. Car has about 33K on it, would love to get it checked out before 36K
maybe I'll be wasting my time at that service appt?

Folks sorry to reinitiate this post but I have an '18 cx5 2.5L that just started the ticking noise at 50,000 km (30,000 miles) when temps went down below freezing. Did anyone including the OP ever get a confirmed answer to what caused it?

Back