Black paint on CX-5?

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
When I was getting my CX-5 mirrors fixed yesterday, I looked around at the other paint colors. My 2019 lease is Machine Grey. On the lot, I thought the all black model looked sharp. I've had black cars in the past so I know all about the problems keeping them clean. But I just wondered if members here who chose black are still happy with their choice.

Most of the cars that I have owned have been black so when I went to the Mazda dealer to look at a CX 5 I said I want a black one. All cars get dirty and show dirt even white ones. Get the color that you like. When black is washed it is the shiniest car out there.
tempImagetjx7Ab.jpg

Last edited:
Black looks amazing as long as it has been maintained correctly (meaning that it has been washed correctly, and not with the foam brushes at the coin ops). @JSB33's old CX-5 looks WAY better than my dad's 2018 Equinox, which is very swirl heavy and looks terrible in the sun.

I saw a Mazda CX-? (either 3 or 5, but I didn't ID that) that was all blacked out. The paint was kind of a satin sheen charcoal gray. The Mazda emblem on the hatch was black except the center 'bird' was bright red.

Pretty unique looking. I think it could have used a few more bright or red highlights.

I saw a Mazda CX-? (either 3 or 5, but I didn't ID that) that was all blacked out. The paint was kind of a satin sheen charcoal gray. The Mazda emblem on the hatch was black except the center 'bird' was bright red.

Pretty unique looking. I think it could have used a few more bright or red highlights.

Probably a matte black vinyl wrap.

My service advisor suggests adding a ceramic coat for protection/shine if I do go black.
Thoughts?

My service advisor suggests adding a ceramic coat for protection/shine if I do go black.
Thoughts?

I think it's a good idea, depending on the price and the coating used. Some coatings are better or more durable than others, but they are usually more expensive.

If you wash and dry your own car yourself, it may be worth looking into a spray-on sealant, wax or coating. Essentially you would just wash your car, then spray on the coating and wipe it dry, doing one panel at a time. Some products out there are durable enough that you can do this two or three times a year to maintain the protection they provide.

When I was getting my CX-5 mirrors fixed yesterday, I looked around at the other paint colors. My 2019 lease is Machine Grey. On the lot, I thought the all black model looked sharp. I've had black cars in the past so I know all about the problems keeping them clean. But I just wondered if members here who chose black are still happy with their choice.
I have had several black cars one of them a Mazda. I like the Machine Grey on the CX-5 better than I like the black on it.

I have had several black cars one of them a Mazda. I like the Machine Grey on the CX-5 better than I like the black on it.
I had the same thought, which is why I moved my black one for a Machine Grey one.

Attachments

• P1010005 (3).JPG
    P1010005 (3).JPG
    382.1 KB · Views: 182
Interesting comments...thanks. I currently have a Machine Grey Signature. I think the black goes better with the brown interior - checked it out this week - but do like the grey. Black always looks like the best option for BMWs but I think the Machine Grey is great on the CX-5.

I like the EU grey :) may be its the same as US grey, I am not sure.

20200711_175728.jpg

20200729_230638.jpg

and on the topic, my black CX5 is great when washed and waxed :)
but dust is big problem as always with black colors. And when dirty it looks dull. No need for ppf, just regular wash and wax will do nice

20201025_112131.jpg

20201120_234345.jpg

Attachments

• 20200711_175806.jpg
    20200711_175806.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
If you want to be able to just drive the car and not spend a lot of time keeping it clean but still have it look good in a few years, avoid black.

I’d also suggest avoiding black if you don’t have much experience washing and detailing cars.

Even following the best of practices will leave swirl marks over time.

I live where there is brine on the roads for 6 months of the year, so clean cars really aren’t a thing in the winter. I used to be super particular about keeping my cars clean. I just don’t have the time anymore so I’ve been going to touchless washes (only option in the winter) every couple weeks with a hand wash once every 2 months. I Also clay once a year and wax twice, keeps them looking decent with minimal swirling.

To me, the black that Mazda uses looks "thin". The other colors look like they are laid on much thicker in the paint process.

Back