New CX-5 with a cracked windshield

My daughter bought a new CX-5 a few months ago (no HUD) and just called telling me a rock on highway cracked her front windshield.

I haven't gone through this with a new car, should she take to any windshield repair place or go through a dealer? Her collision deductible is $200. Should her first call be to insurance co? Thanks

Take it to Safelite or have a mobile service come look at it. Most insurance companies cover glass replacement with little or no deductible.

Safelite website had this pop up after I entered vehicle info:
"Removing damaged glass will affect the camera connected to your windshield. Your vehicle manufacturer requires recalibration of this camera to ensure your vehicle’s advanced safety features work properly. These features may include automatic braking and forward collision warning. "

Is this true on front windshield replacement?

she called her insurance, it's 5" long so Safelite can repair at no cost or $200 deductible for OEM glass replacement.

Last edited:
I'm curious if a long crack repair like that would be visible - never tried it. I suppose it's worth doing the repair if it's free, but I know if it was in my field of view and I could still see it, it would drive me crazy and I would pay the $200.

I see Safelite also says they can recalibrate the camera "in most cases".

Mark

A repair becomes practically invisible when it is successful. I would take it to safelite to be repaired. But my bet is they come back and say they couldn't repair it and they make it worse. If they can't fix it then get an OEM with the $200 deductible.

A repair becomes practically invisible when it is successful. I would take it to safelite to be repaired. But my bet is they come back and say they couldn't repair it and they make it worse. If they can't fix it then get an OEM with the $200 deductible.
why do you think this? The crack is on passenger side, started near the edge

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 233
From my experience with safelite. A stone hit my car, I had a bullseye and a small crack. I took it to their shop to have it fixed. They would not let me watch. The tech came back and said it cracked worse from him trying to fix it, and I need a new windshield. I think it is a scam because they get more money doing a windshield repair. This was many years ago, maybe they will fix it successfully.

This is on the side. It’s a tough spot. Even slightest pressure there can extend. I did repair mine on my own (1.5 inch on the side because I catched it early) actually stopped it from spreading out further..for now.. hard to see its there but its there. Eventually after the next one I would have to change whole glass.

Not sure if yours is easily repairable. Most likely not by safelite but by some guru who does that every day. Small business owner :) and yes for new glass any new mazda needs camera alignment. It’s part of the safety systems. You can and should ask for oem if possible and if you decide to change.
You can always try repair but plan for change.

why do you think this? The crack is on passenger side, started near the edge
That looks exactly like the crack on my 2020 though mine was a couple of inches longer. Exact same location. Safelite replaced the windshield yesterday. I requested OEM glass and the insurer complied, had to wait several weeks for Safelite to get the glass from Mazda.

Put some RainX windshield repair on it soon if you want to save it. The crack will spread quickly if you disturb it.

I thought many or most insurance companies skip the deductable for a windshield replacement. What kind Insurance company? Ed

I thought many or most insurance companies skip the deductable for a windshield replacement. What kind Insurance company? Ed
Progressive. I believe there were multiple deductible options for comprehensive, including no deductible for windshield. She chose $200.

That looks exactly like the crack on my 2020 though mine was a couple of inches longer. Exact same location. Safelite replaced the windshield yesterday. I requested OEM glass and the insurer complied, had to wait several weeks for Safelite to get the glass from Mazda.
2 weeks for OEM, that's not good Did you drive it during that time and were you afraid of it getting bigger?

Same spot is suspicious..

I know Subaru windshields crack easily based on owning an Outback and Impreza. The Subaru Eyesight system has cameras just behind the windshield. So change of windshield requires calibration of Eyesight. Does the CX-5 have a camera behind the windshield? I don’t recall seeing on my CX-9.

Latest posts

Back