What's your emergency set-up/Toolkit?

Digbicks1234

16.5 CX-5 Touring/2023 CX-9 Touring
Since Winter is coming up, I was wondering what everyone kept in their car in case they run into any problems? For me, it's:
  1. Spray Bottle with soap inside. If I ever run into a flat or if I ever need to remove a nail from my tire, I can use soap to spray it onto the tread of the tire to find the leak.
  2. Pliers: To pull the nail(s) out of my tire.
  3. Tire plugs
  4. Anker 20,000 mAh battery charger: In case I ever get stranded somewhere and I run low on battery
  5. NOCO Boost Plus GB40 1000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Portable Lithium Car Battery Jump Starter: Saved me once already in the middle of a street. I forgot to turn off my headlights and the battery was being drained LOL
  6. Torque Wrench: To torque the tire lug nuts back to spec.
  7. Impact Driver/21 mm socket: To remove tires without having to use the crappy OEM lug nut removal tool.
  8. Bauer 160 PSI Tire Inflator/Deflator: Easier than driving back and forth to the gas station and has a built in LED light.

1. Jump starting battery/charger
2. Full height spare tire
3. reflective triangles
4. ratcheting 3/8" breaker bar and 19mm socket (the OEM lug nuts don't fit my wheels)
5. mushroom tire plug kit with tiny 12 volt inflator - with small pliers
6. powerful rechargeable flashlight
7. pepper spray
8. tire pressure gauge
9. cash
10. gloves
11. plastic bag
12. mini first aid kit
13. blanket and seasonal clothes
14. pruning shears, permanent pen, mini sharpener

I bought one of those 12v inflator pumps with a digital pressure preset.

I like to make sure I keep the tires inflated to the proper pressure because as the temperature drops the air pressure decreases about 1 psi per 10 degrees.

Otherwise, throw a hydraulic floor jack in the back along with all that other stuff, and I'm good to go.

Mine is a much smaller set.
1. Li-ion battery jump starter
2. inflater
3. plug kit
4. emergency warning/reflective triangle
5. 1st aid kit
Others are OE in the trunk.

Doesn't anybody else keep duck tape and galvanized wire? And fuses? They're one thing I've actually needed in the last 20 years. The only time I've needed a spare tire was one time in 1995, and I've owned cars since 1976.

But it doesn't make much sense to go any distance without a spare, especially in bad weather, so I'm all in.

I wonder how that green slime stuff works? I have a couple of green slime tire gauges and they work pretty good.

20201026_202712.jpg
;)

Where do you guys keep all that stuff with out filling up the trunk? If Mazda can't find a better space for that Bose thing bolted on top of the spare tire I can't imagine where there is space for all that hazard gear. In Colombia we are required to carry a road hazard kit that includes among other items a fire extinguisher that must be kept current. If we pass through a police check point and don't have the kit or the extinguisher is out of date we're fined about $300.00 US. The kit takes up about a cubic foot in the trunk and is rather a pain to load around.

Where do you guys keep all that stuff with out filling up the trunk? If Mazda can't find a better space for that Bose thing bolted on top of the spare tire I can't imagine where there is space for all that hazard gear. In Colombia we are required to carry a road hazard kit that includes among other items a fire extinguisher that must be kept current. If we pass through a police check point and don't have the kit or the extinguisher is out of date we're fined about $300.00 US. The kit takes up about a cubic foot in the trunk and is rather a pain to load around.

Typically most people would have a trunk net or a trunk box that can hold everything. For example:
1603852852315.png

$300 for not having a fire extinguisher wth? Do you guys have a lot of car fires going on there or something? I think you could probably mount it on the side of the cargo area or maybe under your seat.

They make fire extinguisher car mounts also, not sure if it helps for you or not.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
1603852966536.png

Or this can of fire extinguisher spray:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

1603853036642.png

Doesn't anybody else keep duck tape and galvanized wire? And fuses? They're one thing I've actually needed in the last 20 years. The only time I've needed a spare tire was one time in 1995, and I've owned cars since 1976.

But it doesn't make much sense to go any distance without a spare, especially in bad weather, so I'm all in.

I wonder how that green slime stuff works? I have a couple of green slime tire gauges and they work pretty good.

I forgot that I had a big box of fuses in my trunk as well as a multi-meter, fuse tester. As for the spare tire, I rather have a full size tire than a donut because with the donut, I believe it's only up to 50-55 mph max which is useless if I'm going to be on the highway back home.

I heard that the green slime stuff makes a huge mess especially if you bring it to a tire shop for a tire replacement or something but who knows. I trust tire patches more since there's a vulcanizing glue that is included.

1. Jump starting battery/charger
2. Full height spare tire: How did you manage to fit a full size spare tire in your trunk? I thought most people said that that there wasn't enough space.
3. reflective triangles
4. ratcheting 3/8" breaker bar and 19mm socket (the OEM lug nuts don't fit my wheels)
5. mushroom tire plug kit with tiny 12 volt inflator - with small pliers
6. powerful rechargeable flashlight
7. pepper spray
8. tire pressure gauge
9. cash
10. gloves
11. plastic bag
12. mini first aid kit
13. blanket and seasonal clothes: Good idea, I'll probably get an emergency blanket pack just in case.

2. Full height spare tire: How did you manage to fit a full size spare tire in your trunk? I thought most people said that that there wasn't enough space.
It’s “full-height” spare tire, not “full-size” spare tire. murky may have something like mine: a 18X4 compact spare steel wheel with Dunlop Space Miser MKIII T155/90D18 103M tire from a 2015 Mazda CX-9 AWD.

2017 Spare Tire Mod for U.S.

50540407067_78a82d22d8_b.jpg

This is what Mazda Colombia supplies with every new CX-5:
Fire Extinguisher
Pliers
Tool kit
Wheel Chccks
Warning triangle
Spare lug nuts and theft fitting
Orange safety vest
Hand operated flashlight
Gloves
First aide kit
All contained in that semicircular zippered case.

That's a pretty good idea as those items could be very useful in case of an emergency.

I know some OEMs have included a fix-a-flat tire goo along with a 12v inflator in lieu of a spare. I would prefer both but maybe I wouldn't use the slime unless absolutely necessary.

From posts on this forum I wonder if Mazda should include a 12v battery maintainer for periodic use in winter months to keep the battery more fully charged?

I keep a Sharpie, pen and pencil in the glove box but I figure I could sharpen the pencil with my pocket knife. I like the pruning shears, though. Do you keep them under the seat so they're handy?

I keep a Sharpie, pen and pencil in the glove box but I figure I could sharpen the pencil with my pocket knife. I like the pruning shears, though. Do you keep them under the seat so they're handy?
I keep them in the back, on the left side little recessed pocket. I'm a home orchardist as a hobby. I also have a good Japanese folding saw in the car. If I take a scion cutting or something, I can write directly on the stick, or on a ziplock bag to label it :)

Probably have a small fire extinguisher too. I keep a lot of junk. Its in a rectangular plastic tub box with hinged flap lid. If I push it to the side I can still fit our trash can in there upright with the rear seat backs up. I move it around to help secure groceries and things, depending on the orientation there are different sized pockets to keep things from falling over.

I also keep a hitch pin and sometimes a stinger with 2" ball.

I believe there are already spare fuses in the fuse box.

I think I might be one of those who keeps too much junk in the trunk, but here's what I have under the floorboard:
IMG_20201028_132436.jpg

Portable air compressor, baby wipes and a few extra diapers, a quart of oil, tire repair kit, booster cables, and a fire extinguisher (wrapped in a couple of extra winter hats to keep it from rattling around).

Here's what I keep in the cargo box and the side pocket:
IMG_20201028_132552.jpg

Portable jump starter that doubles as a battery pack and LED flashlight/SOS light, some nylon and cotton rope, box cutter, couple of screw drivers and some pliers. I also have a few granola bars and some sample protein powder packs in there.

IMG_20200804_131936.jpg

First-aid kit that came with my previous car (Lexus IS250). It has a ton of useful stuff in it. Aside from band-aids and alcohol wipes, it's got safety pins, tweezers, medical shears, a flashlight, a triangle bandage, Tensor wrap, emergency blanket, instant cold pack, etc. I added zip ties and safety triangles to the kit so it doubles as a road side kit too.
I also have a pack of electric "flares" and a 12v converter.

Loose in the trunk:
  • Plastic picnic blanket
  • Snow brush
  • Extra jackets
  • Extra gloves

I also keep the following in the armrest storage:
  • pen, pencil, permanent marker
  • playing cards
  • dental floss
  • extra masks
Going to add a hi-vis vest as well.

Some of you definitely have hoarding and/or prepping tendencies.

For those that carry around supplies to plug a tire...
Do you plug tires when they are still mounted on the car?
I pull the tire off the car in order to plug them (in the comfort of my garage), because there is so little space when trying to plug them on the car.

I'm curious why you just wouldn't install the spare tire instead of attempting to plug it?

I avoid plugging tires myself, because virtually any tire shop will use a much better patch+plug combo (from the inside of the tire), and do the job for free.

I pull the tire off the car in order to plug them (in the comfort of my garage), because there is so little space when trying to plug them on the car.

I'm curious why you just wouldn't install the spare tire instead of attempting to plug it?

I avoid plugging tires myself, because virtually any tire shop will use a much better patch+plug combo (from the inside of the tire), and do the job for free.
I own a plug kit and have to keep it somewhere. The car seemed like the best place. It also includes the inflator. If I need my spare, it will probably be underinflated because its buried and seldom seen. The plug kit could also be used to help somebody else in need. It doesn't take up much space. I mainly bought it for plugging the tubeless tires on my AWD Swedish mower which I run with soft 2-ply snow thrower tires for traction on our slopes.

At least I can admit to it lol :ROFLMAO:

The tire plug kit is definitely redundant with the spare tire and Mazda Roadside available to me, but it takes up so little room that I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it. @murky brought up a good point about having it handy for someone else to use. I suppose it would also be useful if you punctured a tire in the middle of the night and wanted to continue driving at highway speeds.

A lot of the stuff I have, I know I'll never use. But IMO it's better to have it than to not, especially with all the cargo space available.

Back