I-Stop - Stopped functioning

kiln

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 2.0L Dynamic Skyactive
Whenever the I-Stop system stops functioning and showing battery not enabled. Disconnect battery for 25min with all electricals switched off and doors closed. Re-connect battery and reset elec windows etc. Go for a drive and after a few miles the system will work as normal again.

Or, do it this way:

IStop reset procedure
1. Warm up the engine. Turn everything off that you can - radio, A/C etc so there is no electrical load.
2. Switch the ignition off.
3. Switch ignition to on but dont start engine. Long-press the i-stop OFF switch for 3 s within 5 s after switching the ignition ON.
4. Start the engine.
5. Press the i-stop OFF switch. Verify that the i-stop indicator light (green) flashes and stays flashing. If it does not flash, go back to Step 2.
6. Allow the engine to idle for 10 minutes, or until the i-stop indicator light (green) turns off.
7. Switch the engine off. Wait a few minutes
8. Start the engine. Fo for a drive and check that the i-stop system operates.
9. Done.

Does this malfunction happens often? Glad I don't have i-stop. Ed

Rarely. And the "malfunction" is simply that iStop doesnt activate" ie the engine doesnt stop when the car is stopped for example at traffic lights. So it really doesnt cause any problems.

Only time I have had it happen (once) was when the dealer did some system update work and forgot to reset the iStop system. So instead of wasting time taking it back for them to reset, I did it myself using the above procedure.

Mazda's iStop system works totally seamlessly, and there is no reason whatsoever to be afraid or concerned about it at all.

Yes, the dealer attempted this way but the system kept reporting battery stuck at 54%,
no change, no charge. Lastly it was disconnected as per above and it started to function as normal again.
Or, do it this way:

IStop reset procedure
1. Warm up the engine. Turn everything off that you can - radio, A/C etc so there is no electrical load.
2. Switch the ignition off.
3. Switch ignition to on but dont start engine. Long-press the i-stop OFF switch for 3 s within 5 s after switching the ignition ON.
4. Start the engine.
5. Press the i-stop OFF switch. Verify that the i-stop indicator light (green) flashes and stays flashing. If it does not flash, go back to Step 2.
6. Allow the engine to idle for 10 minutes, or until the i-stop indicator light (green) turns off.
7. Switch the engine off. Wait a few minutes
8. Start the engine. Fo for a drive and check that the i-stop system operates.
9. Done.

I posted this in another thread but I'm posting again in this one in the hope that someone might know the answer. The i-stop feature on my 2016 CX-5 AWD began acting up when the battery was replaced. The i-stop system works for a day or two after the dealer resets it (or if I manually reset) but soon reverts into a perpetual "not ready" state with the battery icon never getting highlighted. Took it to the dealership twice already and the techs keep saying that their instruments show that there is nothing wrong even if it is painfully obvious that this is not the case.

Hi there buddy, I have the same problem with my I stop. Did you resolve the problem, what was it?

After resetting the I stop, the green lights flash but it did not turn solid after 10 minutes, so I switch off and restarted the car and went for a drive. Unfortunately the I stop does not kick in and it's never ready.

Please let us know if you had a luck. Surely there must be some fix for it?

The problem is, that most daily drivers wouldn't know how to fix this issue and would go to the dealer, get it reset and be charged for the service. Ed

Hi everyone, just wanted to post feedback on some goodish news and a possible remedy to the I-stop problem.

I have discovered a lever switch mounted on the bonnet release mechanical mechanism. I unscrew this lever switch from the release mechanism and gave it a good clean with wd40 and a microfiber cloth. The switch was a bit sticky.

I reinstalled it back into the mechanism and the I-stop is now working fine.

If the reset procedure does remedy the problem, please inspect the switch in the bonnet release mechanism. It's probably sticky and needs to be cleaned.

Hi everyone, just wanted to post feedback on some goodish news and a possible remedy to the I-stop problem.

I have discovered a lever switch mounted on the bonnet release mechanical mechanism. I unscrew this lever switch from the release mechanism and gave it a good clean with wd40 and a microfiber cloth. The switch was a bit sticky.

I reinstalled it back into the mechanism and the I-stop is now working fine.

If the reset procedure does remedy the problem, please inspect the switch in the bonnet release mechanism. It's probably sticky and needs to be cleaned.
Yes I think you mean the release catch where you lift the bonnet up at the front of the vehicle....
I have a mazda 3 NG hatch ...latest Concept shape 2019 release onwards that has always had problems with I Stop not working. There is a micro switch with a metal action arm attached to the bonnet release catch there where you push back a safety release lock before being able to lift the bonnet. Dont really know what this is for and you can see where its electrical power cable and plug is attached too.
Does anyone know what this has to do with the IStop is a puzzle?? ... as I cannot see the reason why it would have anything to do with that function.
To see this micro switch you have to pull off the plastic cover that surrounds the bonnet release mechanism. It is fairly easy to do and clips off and back without much force using your fingers to remove it.

Yes I think you mean the release catch where you lift the bonnet up at the front of the vehicle....
I have a mazda 3 NG hatch ...latest Concept shape 2019 release onwards that has always had problems with I Stop not working. There is a micro switch with a metal action arm attached to the bonnet release catch there where you push back a safety release lock before being able to lift the bonnet. Dont really know what this is for and you can see where its electrical power cable and plug is attached too.
Does anyone know what this has to do with the IStop is a puzzle?? ... as I cannot see the reason why it would have anything to do with that function.
To see this micro switch you have to pull off the plastic cover that surrounds the bonnet release mechanism. It is fairly easy to do and clips off and back without much force using your fingers to remove it.
It's to prevent istop kicking in when servicing the engine

Thanks kenl.... that is a quite ingenious and interesting reason. Although, would it have anything to do with the system always going out of action periodically as in my case and always requiring a manual reset to get it working again by the disconnect battery method... Why is the system doing this?

There is no iStop in US models.
I am wondering if iStop actually saves you money in the long run.

Assume that, iStop improves 5% mpg, and you drive 12K miles per year. With CA fuel price of $3.5/gallon, it saves about $84 dollar/year. And, the Q85 battery lasts about 3 yrs on average.
iStop requires Q85 battery (costs >$300, not $80 at Costco), and likely puts stress on alternator as well.

I am not bashing iStop. Just simple math here.
Can someone with iStop shares his/her view on this?

I have a '16 Mazda6 GT with i-Eloop (with a supercap to recover energy from braking to supply current to accessories).
It sounded like a good idea when I bought the case until I had to replace the battery (Q85) which costs >$300 (some dealers want $500 including programming) on the 4th yr.

There is no iStop in US models.
I am wondering if iStop actually saves you money in the long run.

I am not bashing iStop. Just simple math here.
Can someone with iStop shares his/her view on this?

Yes your reasoning about cost savings on this technology is valid.

I drove a 2005 Prius since new for nearly 15 years before changing over to the New Gen M3 Hatch "Pure" series in May 2019. The Prius of course had a hybrid system of engine stopping every time you stopped with no time limit or other restrictions like the Mazda system has now , so driving my new M3 I was happy to have that stop also incorporated. However, it is way less effective than my old Prius "istop" function. The Mazda system cannot sustain constant start stop action as in a long slow moving traffic jam without running out of charge to keep it operating after about 4 or so simultaneous cycles in my case. And then it requires a long drive over 20 minutes to charge and work again....if at all. My experience unfortunately is that it goes back to the Reset required status and does not work at all until this is done.

On the positive side, I am getting very close to and even better than Hybrid Prius fuel economy with very careful driving of this NG M3 hatch with the 2litre Skyactiv G motor averaging 50 mpg or 5.5litres per 100km recorded overall per full tank on Mazdas dash display, and some short trips actually giving me 60mpg or 4.7litres per 100km.

The drives have to be more than 15km and more than 10 minutes on average with minimal stop/start happening.

Everyone of course is overtaking me and hard on their accelerators... but I keep out of their way.

Yes basically the Mazda iStop does not contribute to any of this recorded economy on the M3's
Fuel Efficency Monitor screen.

It also shows only an extra 93km of driving distance gained in fuel savings for a total of 20000km traveled.

That means only around 5 litres or fuel saved per 20000km!! ... or less than 4 US gallons or 4.5 Imperial gallons for the effectiveness of the iStop function over that distance of travel.

Totally insignificant !

Yes your reasoning about cost savings on this technology is valid.

I drove a 2005 Prius since new for nearly 15 years before changing over to the New Gen M3 Hatch "Pure" series in May 2019. The Prius of course had a hybrid system of engine stopping every time you stopped with no time limit or other restrictions like the Mazda system has now , so driving my new M3 I was happy to have that stop also incorporated. However, it is way less effective than my old Prius "istop" function. The Mazda system cannot sustain constant start stop action as in a long slow moving traffic jam without running out of charge to keep it operating after about 4 or so simultaneous cycles in my case. And then it requires a long drive over 20 minutes to charge and work again....if at all. My experience unfortunately is that it goes back to the Reset required status and does not work at all until this is done.

On the positive side, I am getting very close to and even better than Hybrid Prius fuel economy with very careful driving of this NG M3 hatch with the 2litre Skyactiv G motor averaging 50 mpg or 5.5litres per 100km recorded overall per full tank on Mazdas dash display, and some short trips actually giving me 60mpg or 4.7litres per 100km.

The drives have to be more than 15km and more than 10 minutes on average with minimal stop/start happening.

Everyone of course is overtaking me and hard on their accelerators... but I keep out of their way.

Yes basically the Mazda iStop does not contribute to any of this recorded economy on the M3's
Fuel Efficency Monitor screen.

It also shows only an extra 93km of driving distance gained in fuel savings for a total of 20000km traveled.

That means only around 5 litres or fuel saved per 20000km!! ... or less than 4 US gallons or 4.5 Imperial gallons for the effectiveness of the iStop function over that distance of travel.

Totally insignificant !
Thanks for reporting your Mazda i-stop experience. I thought i-stop uses engine compression to re-start the engine, and very little or no starter usage is needed? Based on your experience a 4 or so simultaneous cycles of re-starts in stop-and-go traffic would make i-stop disabled due to the battery power becomes low and needs to get fully charged? This really surprises me as I always thought Mazda’s i-stop is a unique and outstanding stop/start system among those. Now I’m glad we don’t get i-stop system in the US.

Thanks for reporting your Mazda i-stop experience. I thought i-stop uses engine compression to re-start the engine, and very little or no starter usage is needed? Based on your experience a 4 or so simultaneous cycles of re-starts in stop-and-go traffic would make i-stop disabled due to the battery power becomes low and needs to get fully charged? This really surprises me as I always thought Mazda’s i-stop is a unique and outstanding stop/start system among those. Now I’m glad we don’t get i-stop system in the US.
From Mazda web site:

i-stop and Gasoline Engines

While conventional idling stop systems rely on a starter motor to restart the engine, Mazda's i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. The result is a quick and quiet engine re-start compared to other systems and a significant saving in fuel.
To restart the engine by combustion, the compression-stroke and expansion-stroke pistons need to be stopped at exactly the correct positions to create the right balance of air volumes. Mazda's i-stop ensures precise control over the piston positions during engine shutdown. With all the pistons stopped at the optimum positions, the system then identifies the initial cylinder for fuel injection. It injects fuel and ignites it to restart the engine. Even at extremely low rpm, cylinders are identified for sequential ignition, making the engine quickly pick up to idling speed.
These technologies enable the system to restart the engine with exactly the same timing every time, to enhance fuel economy, and to deliver smooth and comfortable acceleration for the driver at restart. The restart takes place in a mere 0.35 seconds (internal measurement on vehicle with automatic transmission), which is about half of the time taken by conventional starter-motor idling stop systems.

From Mazda web site:

i-stop and Gasoline Engines

While conventional idling stop systems rely on a starter motor to restart the engine, Mazda's i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. The result is a quick and quiet engine re-start compared to other systems and a significant saving in fuel.
To restart the engine by combustion, the compression-stroke and expansion-stroke pistons need to be stopped at exactly the correct positions to create the right balance of air volumes. Mazda's i-stop ensures precise control over the piston positions during engine shutdown. With all the pistons stopped at the optimum positions, the system then identifies the initial cylinder for fuel injection. It injects fuel and ignites it to restart the engine. Even at extremely low rpm, cylinders are identified for sequential ignition, making the engine quickly pick up to idling speed.
These technologies enable the system to restart the engine with exactly the same timing every time, to enhance fuel economy, and to deliver smooth and comfortable acceleration for the driver at restart. The restart takes place in a mere 0.35 seconds (internal measurement on vehicle with automatic transmission), which is about half of the time taken by conventional starter-motor idling stop systems.
Yes I’ve read articles of Mazda i-stop and many reviews. All said it’s a unique system. The description of i-stop operation seems to be not using the starter, but rely on the ignition to restart the engine since one of the cylinders is always stopped at the end of compression cycle ready to be ignited. But the illustration of i-stop system has always included the starter, and a special battery is used with i-stop. Now with CONCEPTM3NG’s report, apparently the restart of Mazda’s i-stop does still involve the starter like every other idling stop/start system.

Back