Two year extended warranty worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the past when I had the '05 Prius for my wife, the hybrid system was new. I did purchased ext warranty from Toyota (7yr, 100K for less than $800)
At that time (not sure about now), Troy was the go-to-guy for genuine Toyota warranty.
He sold it at 50% MSRP to anyone who asked for it.
So, be aware that the profit margin is more than 50% on ext warranty. :)

Troy Dietrich of Toyota of Greenfield in Greenfield, MA
Not sure if he is still in the business.

Both of my folding mirrors have now failed (again). My extended warranty is paying 100% for replacement and for a loaner for 5 days (while parts are ordered, since mirrors are a safety issue, I did opt to just force them by hand until, vs taking the loaner though). Total cost out of pocket would have been $1500.

Only 900 bucks more to go to break even. Got 98k miles left to do it in.

If you get a top trim level like my GTR...you best bet you need it.

Both of my folding mirrors have now failed (again). My extended warranty is paying 100% for replacement and for a loaner for 5 days (while parts are ordered, since mirrors are a safety issue, I did opt to just force them by hand until, vs taking the loaner though). Total cost out of pocket would have been $1500.

Only 900 bucks more to go to break even. Got 98k miles left to do it in.

If you get a top trim level like my GTR...you best bet you need it.
I don't understand how you can continually suggest that "you best bet you need" a $2500 third-party extended warranty if you buy a CX-5 upper trim level.

You're still $1000 bucks in the hole, and you must keep hoping that more expensive repairs are needed, just so you feel good about "breaking even."
You also have to artificially inflate the cost of repairs ($1500 for two mirror motors!?!?) in a desperate attempt to justify the warranty.

Why not just keep that $2500 in a CD/money market accout and pay for things yourself IF they happen to break.

I don't understand how you can continually suggest that "you best bet you need" a $2500 third-party extended warranty if you buy a CX-5 upper trim level.

You're still $1000 bucks in the hole, and you must keep hoping that more expensive repairs are needed, just so you feel good about "breaking even."
You also have to artificially inflate the cost of repairs ($1500 for two mirror motors!?!?) in a desperate attempt to justify the warranty.

Why not just keep that $2500 in a CD/money market accout and pay for things yourself IF they happen to break.
Its $741 per mirror. Just quoting the dealer's repair bill from last time.

Its $741 per mirror. Just quoting the dealer's repair bill from last time.

Seems like they're trying to help you justify your warranty purchase. They aren't that expensive.

Seems like they're trying to help you justify your warranty purchase. They aren't that expensive.
I pay a few bucks more a month to not have t o work on my car or have to ever buy parts for it except wear items...and awesomely, not including shocks or struts---which this warranty covers---for 150K miles! It's worth it, regardless of the fact that even by your prices alone, I will get over $1,000 in mirror motors covered at this rate in 150K miles, lol.

That $741/per is what they showed on the bill when it was Mazda's OEM 3/36 that covered it. I have not gotten the bill for this one. When they did the work the first time, I requested the part and labor cost breakdown without warranty. It took them a couple of hours as I recall. Gotta take the door panel off and all sorts of BS to do the job.

You break just one tab on that inner door panel, and you're gonna be spending a lot more time and money. I actually helped build my first car in the driveway as a kid, and no, I doubt that motor is that much (they bill about half of that in parts though, and I've found I can buy Mazda parts online for about 80% of dealer pricing usually), but what IS expensive is the fact that many of these assemblies (door panels, etc.) all have a "trick" to them in how you press, pull, or flex the part. If you mess up in the pressure applied via force OR direction, you can easily snap one of the "hooks" or inserts, and then the door panel or whatever will not be as solid as it should, so inevitably you replace that, and mistakes add up FAST.

I remember one time trying to change the PCV valve on a friend's Jeep. It was pretty old. I broke a lot of rubber/plastic junk pulling it out of the grommet. It actually ended up costing me, to fix his jeep. Now, I know my 2019 isn't like that, but it's still a lesson.

Regardless, why don't one of you fine citizens go to your Mazda dealer's service counter and fact check me on them prices during your next oil change...

Last edited:
That $741/per is what they showed on the bill when it was Mazda's OEM 3/36 that covered it. I have not gotten the bill for this one.
Earlier you said that both motors failed, for a total cost of $1500, and that you only have $900 to go to "break even" on the extended warranty.

Now you are saying the first motor was covered under your factory warranty, NOT the extended warranty.

Which is it?

Earlier you said that both motors failed, for a total cost of $1500, and that you only have $900 to go to "break even" on the extended warranty.

Now you are saying the first motor was covered under your factory warranty, NOT the extended warranty.

Which is it?
4 motors have now failed. The first two were covered under 3/36. These current two, under the extended warranty. Each failure cost $741 or so, IIRC, per the bill, per unit/labor. That is 4($741) so far, half under the 3/36, and half under the extended. I am now at a hair under 52K miles, with a hair over 98K more to go. Betcha it pays for itself in mirror motors ALONE!

Assuming you maintain a healthy cash emergency fund, or investments that are easily liquidated, to cover a wide variety of unexpected expenses beyond car repairs, which I would assume to be the case if you're buying a GT, I believe it prudent to buy extended warranties on nothing.

Despite the anecdotal horror stories you may read in the these pages, the aggregated trouble data reported by owners as compiled by Consumer Reports indicates the CX-5 is a reliable vehicle relative to the market as a whole. If you look hard enough you can find horror stories associated with any vehicle or product you name.

There's no guarantee that any product reviewed to be reliable, whether by Consumer Reports or some other source, will turn out to be so. However, given the markups on these extended warranties, if you prioritize reliability in your purchases across the wide variety of consumer products over a lifetime you will likely come out ahead, in fact well ahead.

Now, if you're approaching the end of your Mazda manufacturer warranty period and you are unfortunate enough to have purchased one built on a bad day or bad week with a variety of problems and you're not inclined to trade it for whatever reason, then as others have mentioned you might consider buying an "aftermarket" warranty. You'll get offers in the mail. Then scutinize what is and is not covered for the price.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the emotional point, like betting against your football team, but financially speaking it's not relevant.

4 motors have now failed. The first two were covered under 3/36. These current two, under the extended warranty. Each failure cost $741 or so, IIRC, per the bill, per unit/labor. That is 4($741) so far, half under the 3/36, and half under the extended. I am now at a hair under 52K miles, with a hair over 98K more to go. Betcha it pays for itself in mirror motors ALONE!
You've probably looked into this but I wonder if there is an aftermarket mirror and whether that would be covered under the warranty. If I recall correctly from other posts the sticking point, pardon the pun, is a plastic gear that goes bad when the thing ices up. Perhaps an aftermarket unit uses metal. Then, if there is an aftermarket option, would that be covered if it broke?

The default is that OEM is better but there are cases where it isn't. I'm reminded of my front rotors in a Honda that were warped beyond resurfacing at around 25k miles. This was a typical sticking point with Accords of that vintage. I took it to a Honda dealer and asked to have aftermarket rotors quoted. They were less costly and I figured they couldn't be any worse. They did in fact last quite a bit longer.

I also had a Toyota with the lightest, flimsiest hood you can imagine that got bent and cracked at the least provocation, the cause a little embarrassing though not relevant to the point. Whether this was for shaving weight anywhere they could which all automakers do, or for crash testing, I couldn't say. Anyway, the aftermarket replacement was more typical, quite heavy such as on my 2020 CX-5.

Neither of these situations was a warranty claim so that's a variable not applicable to your case.

You are spot on with the plastic cog wheel. Plastic is just not suitable for that but its dirt cheap.
The folding mirror will keep failing from what I see in the european forums. They got the folding mirrors for many years now vs US where they were introduced recently.
So if one has extended warranty on those they would probably get even on the cost after few years :) or until Mazda gets this fixed once and for all.

on the topic for extended maintenance-
Even the internal flaps that control the ac vents flows are plastic but due to the location and lightweight those would age better. Still after 10+ years (may be less sometimes) people will start asking why its blowing hot vs cold, why no air from rear vents etc.
CX5 is just to new (oldest is more or less 8 years old) but in 4-5 years from now I can imagine we would know more on how reliable components are long term.
And yes engine replacements may be costly but go ask how much does it cost to change the internal heater radiator for example or the ac compressor. All parts that probably will break before the engine dies (given proper maintenance).

for long term (say 7-8 years at least and 150k miles or more), extended warranty if offered and at adequate price is good to me. for short term not worth it.

Last edited:
Questions comes to mind from someone who doesn't buy extended warranties:

Are they transferable? Or do they die with miles and years left if sold or traded before the contract expires? Are some transferable and some not?

It would stand to reason that a non-transferable warranty would be cheaper if there's a choice. An actuary would find excess profit in non-transferables from folks forfeiting years of coverage thus being able to offer a more competitive price, especially given the out years of the contract are where claims are more likely to fall. It's possible a non-transferable on a car held through expiration of the contract might be a good deal.

An inquiring mind would like to know.

Mazda oem used to be one time transferable and also you could cancel and get prorated money back.
dont know now with the new plans and toyota financial in the game.

You've probably looked into this but I wonder if there is an aftermarket mirror and whether that would be covered under the warranty. If I recall correctly from other posts the sticking point, pardon the pun, is a plastic gear that goes bad when the thing ices up. Perhaps an aftermarket unit uses metal. Then, if there is an aftermarket option, would that be covered if it broke?

The default is that OEM is better but there are cases where it isn't. I'm reminded of my front rotors in a Honda that were warped beyond resurfacing at around 25k miles. This was a typical sticking point with Accords of that vintage. I took it to a Honda dealer and asked to have aftermarket rotors quoted. They were less costly and I figured they couldn't be any worse. They did in fact last quite a bit longer.

I also had a Toyota with the lightest, flimsiest hood you can imagine that got bent and cracked at the least provocation, the cause a little embarrassing though not relevant to the point. Whether this was for shaving weight anywhere they could which all automakers do, or for crash testing, I couldn't say. Anyway, the aftermarket replacement was more typical, quite heavy such as on my 2020 CX-5.

Neither of these situations was a warranty claim so that's a variable not applicable to your case.
The plastic gear is fine. It's the motor itself that grows weak with use and no-longer is capable of fully functioning as intended.

34ae4b1s-960.jpg

d06e4b1s-960.jpg

Ok? My plastic gears have all been fine. The motor is just weak. You have to try multiple times to get them to fully fold, but they finally do. There is zero crepitus, or noise without movement or other indication of the gear being an issue. The mirrors just move slower and slower with age until they only move a little each time you bump the selector or unlock the car.

The common root cause for failed auto-folding side mirrors of Mazda is that the motion is obstructed by debris that entered the housing. This could end with broken plastic gear or seemly weak motors. Before it actually fails (no movement), cleaning it up might actually help restore it. (such as the WD-40 solution in video I posted) It is very expensive to replace the entire mirror assembly. Do it before warranty expires if it seems slow. After warranty expires, try to clean it up or prevent debris from entering (be careful in car washing, for example), or just avoid using it.... :(

the pics are from the motor insides.
one could just change the motor, no?
not the whole mirror I assume

Other than Unobtanium, I have not seen anyone else post about failed mirrors. It's really interesting and I have to wonder what the reason is his particular car has so many issues with the mirrors. My '19 is at 14k and haven't had a single issue so far. Mine is leased so not really concerned. They will be covered for the entire 3yrs I have the car by the factory 3/36 warranty..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back