1 Week old 2020 GTR, my back up camera is not coming on, help!

:
Colorado
:
2020 Machine Gray
After the big decision to buy the 2020 CX-5 GTR a week or so ago, today I went out to drive it, and I have no back up camera? I washed it on Sat. everything worked fine afterwards and yesterday. I've looked in the manual, don't see anything. Anyone else experience this? I'm a good hour away from the dealer, but if I don't receive any information here, to solve it, I guess I may need to call and make an appt.

Thanks!!

I think the dealer is your only choice
Thanks RedBaron! I've done some googling and reading on this site, and I guess it's not a total novelty, but sounds like something will need to be reset, or possible software update. I guess it could spontaneous come back on.

Try resetting the infotainment system. Not sure the sequence, do a search on this site. I remember seeing a post detailing it a while back.

If you cant find it call the dealer, they should be able to walk you through it.

Try resetting the infotainment system. Not sure the sequence, do a search on this site. I remember seeing a post detailing it a while back.
Thanks Wlong01! I think from what I've read to do a reset you hold the back-nav-mute buttons simultaneously. Another place I read you hold the three buttons for 10 sec. I've also read it spontaneously comes back on it's own. From what I've read, it makes me think it could possibly be associated with moisture, (no rain) other than a by hand car wash 2 days ago, or software update. I've also read that Apple Play may be involved, not sure, but I do use AP. I guess I'll let it set awhile and see if it comes back spontaneously 1st., then I'll try the reset.

Thanks Wlong01! I think from what I've read to do a reset you hold the back-nav-mute buttons simultaneously. Another place I read you hold the three buttons for 10 sec. I've also read it spontaneously comes back on it's own. From what I've read, it makes me think it could possibly be associated with moisture, (no rain) other than a by hand car wash 2 days ago, or software update. I've also read that Apple Play may be involved, not sure, but I do use AP. I guess I'll let it set awhile and see if it comes back spontaneously 1st., then I'll try the reset.
I’d try infotainment reset now but I doubt it’d work. But before that take some video as the evidence to show the dealer at your next service stop that you’ve lost backup camera function even if the backup camera recovered by itself in next few days. You lost the backup camera function, you have problems which need to get fixed. Whether or not it caused by your simple car wash.

Sherry,
One possibility is water got into the camera head, which is located above the licence plate.
When you shift into "R", do you see a black screen?

This is how it should work.
Camera start to work on power up.
When you shift into "R", the MID knows that it is in "R" gear, and selects the camera video (instead of internally generated pictures) to display on the MID.
If the screen is black, that means the mechanism works (triggering), but the camera video is missing. It could be the camera is bad (water?), or the connection to the MID is bad/loose.
If the screen does not go black (remains the same as before shifting to "R"), then, the triggering mechanism fails to inform MID to select camera video. Could be the connection (triggering wire) into the MID.

Either way, a dealer visit is my recommendation.

Thank for your response Ceric. I will discuss it with the dealer. I had been leaving my keys in my car, (in the garage) and using Apple Play when starting it up. I went out and brought my keys in, and the car locked. When I went out later, everything reloaded as normal, and camera was again working. Gosh now I can't remember if the screen was black, or just stayed on my Apple Play screen. If it happens again I will take a pic. as several people have suggested. From what I've read it's possible that without locking the car, and clearing the system, that may have had something to do with it, a glitch with the camera / and Apple Play loading. I'm going to continue to take my keys in and lock the car and see if it happens again. If it does I will definitely make an appt. with the dealer. What is the MID?

I've had a few instances, where the cameras don't come on initially when I stat the vehicle and pull out of the garage. I usually back in the garage and on the Signature, you get all 4 cameras turning on when you start moving forward. They usually start working again once the infotainment finally boots all the way up. The slow infotainment is my only gripe with the CX-5.

My advice since I have three Mazdas in my house. ('14, '16 and '17).
I have tried many versions of this lousy software. :(
It is indeed getting better. No kidding.
It was that bad in early days of our '14 Mazda3.

Advice:
Always let it finish booting before shifting out of P, if possible.

"The MID will act up!", my wife says.
She has a point.

Thanks Ceric,

I do now wait and let everything boot up, and then connect my phone for Apple Car Play, and as of yet the backup camera has continued to come on.

I had been leaving my keys in my car, (in the garage) and using Apple Play when starting it up.
Leaving them in the car was probably not a good idea.
The car never really fully shuts down until the keys are out of range from the ignition.

Last edited:
Back