Trying to decide, spend the extra $3K to buy the Grand Touring Reserve with turbo engine?

When I test drive the GT and GTR the main difference was drivability. The GT was louder and less refined. We went with the GTR. Couldn't be happier. Bought the vehicle in Evert Washington and got 29.1 mpg on I-5 on the way home. We are getting 23-24 mpg with mixed driving. 1,600 plus miles as of now. Finest vehicle I've ever owned. You will never be disappointed with the GTR.

Sherry, a 70 year old female, is joining a Mazda forum and asking if she should purchase the turbo version of a CX-5.

As a beacon of light, Sherry has officially won the Internet for the week!!!!! Take that boring car drivers.

Carry on. :)

Late to the party, but I'll throw in my 2¢. We've had a 2017 Touring with the standard engine for three years now (and still have it). I always found it to be a peppy little engine. However, we got a 2020 GTR a few months ago and love the extra power. Worth every penny!

And if you compare the Grand Touring equipped with AWD and the Premium Package, giving it everything the Reserve has except the turbo, then the difference at MSRP is only $1,800 (and arguably more like $1,600 at average actual selling price). That's not to say everyone needs those upgrades, but if you're going that route anyway it's worth noting that it's not such a big jump in price for the more powerful turbo engine itself, after all.

Thanks yrwei52. I appreciate your response. Like I said I'm 70, put about 10,000 on a yr. = 100,000 mi. would make me 80, not sure I would need, or should be driving the turbo at that age. 🤣 I think it will be my last vehicle. I do not know what the cylinder deactivation feature is, or how that would relate to my pick? I appreciate your thoughtful response!

My aunt is now 95 and is only recently started thinking about giving up car ownership. Stay healthy by eating the right foods and exercising. You may very well be driving for many more years than you think.

Last edited:
Well that just goes to prove YMMV! :D

But EPA figures show that the Turbo is 2-3mpg (around 10%) worse than the non-Turbo:

And so does Consumer Reports

Thanks Dwight - I really appreciate you taking the time to give a thoughtful response! Do you mind me asking what tires you use for the snow? Most of my driving is in town, so I'm not sure I need the turbo, but in CO we do have a bit of snow.

I just have the factory stock all weather tires. And I have to say that they are not very good performers in the snow. The road from the main highway to my house has some very steep up and down sections for about a mile and I have to keep my speed down to practically a crawl on the downhill sections with slippery snow on the road surface or it is almost impossible to stop.
I understand that true snow tires make a world of difference. I have also found out that there are no currently available chains that will fit the CX 5. I would install a set of cable-type chains on the front wheels for those occasions where I needed the extra traction if they were available but there seems to be an issue with chains rubbing on suspension components.

If I lived in an area that had snow for many weeks of the year I would buy an extra set of cheap wheels and snow tires. Luckily I only get snow a half dozen times a year here in the Sou. Cal mountains and it melts within a few days.

Just my .02, get the highest level you can safely afford. I also live in Colorado and have the Signature. I wouldn't have it any other way. The extra features and power are well worth the extra expense IMO. The 2.5T is a tried and true Mazda engine and the CX 5 is best in class in a lot of reviews. If this may be your last vehicle, why not splurge and get the best?

Update: I did purchase the Machine Gray GTR! I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond! Thank you all for the insightful opinions, information, and suggestions!! I am sure this site will continue to be a good reference.

I just have the factory stock all weather tires. And I have to say that they are not very good performers in the snow. The road from the main highway to my house has some very steep up and down sections for about a mile and I have to keep my speed down to practically a crawl on the downhill sections with slippery snow on the road surface or it is almost impossible to stop.
I understand that true snow tires make a world of difference. I have also found out that there are no currently available chains that will fit the CX 5. I would install a set of cable-type chains on the front wheels for those occasions where I needed the extra traction if they were available but there seems to be an issue with chains rubbing on suspension components.

If I lived in an area that had snow for many weeks of the year I would buy an extra set of cheap wheels and snow tires. Luckily I only get snow a half dozen times a year here in the Sou. Cal mountains and it melts within a few days.
Appreciate your response Dwight! I appreciate the information regarding the tires and the snow. I plan to take it easy and see how it does. I may want to invest in all weather tires once we start getting snow. Usually city driving is not too bad. Plus being retired I don't have to be the one of the 1st. ones on the streets.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and replies. Fact: I'm a 70 yr. old female. I'm planning on purchasing a new 2020 - CX-5 Grand Touring. I can't decide if it's worth the money to get the Reserve with the turbo engine. I don't drive high-way miles too often, but live close to the CO mtns. so when I do I usually head west. I do not want to drive in the right lane. I want to be able to pull out and cruise in the fast lane when possible. Other than that, I don't know that I would make use of the turbo engine. I had a 89 Ford Probe turbo when they 1st. came out and I remember how fun it was to drive! Most of my driving is in town stop and go traffic, with an occasional trip to KS. I'd appreciate anyone's input that has made a similar decision with similar driving habits. Thanks!!
You're 70. You know your money, and I doubt its changing that much at this point, no? If you dont mind the expense...buy the turbo. Why NOT?

Update: I did purchase the Machine Gray GTR! I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond! Thank you all for the insightful opinions, information, and suggestions!! I am sure this site will continue to be a good reference.
Excellent! Hah, I see this just as I posted. I hope you're enjoying it!

Congrats on the GTR. Good choice.
I have my 2nd one for one year this week, no regrets. My son & I both walked away from an accident in which my first GTR was rear ended & totaled. I replaced it with it's clone.

Congrats on the GTR. Good choice.
I have my 2nd one for one year this week, no regrets. My son & I both walked away from an accident in which my first GTR was rear ended & totaled. I replaced it with it's clone.
Thank you!

Sherry,
Welcome to the forum.
Life begins after 70. ;)
Good. I have 5 years to wait ;)
Bought my wife the Turbo and set about lowering it and fitting bigger wheels.
Next are the swaybars to help with shopping

I have a 2019 GTR Turbo. I drove the non-turbo and it was a disappointment. Turbo is well worth the extra $. I got mine at the end of last year and the dealer was unloading inventory. Scored mine for about the same cost as the non-turbo GT.

I love my Turbo on my '19 Sig.

In fact, I don't think I could ever go back to a non-Turbo 4 cylinder engine again.

Do it. You won't regret it.

Back