Seeking Weather Tech Feedback

Can anyone tel me how the Maxpiders clean up compared to the Husky. They look great in the above pics, but it looks in the picture like they're textured and wouldn't clean up as nice.

All I did was vacuum the sand and tree debris stuff before I took the pics; I didn’t wipe up the dirt scuffs our shoes made. They showed up on camera a lot more than they did in real life (bright outside, dark in the car, so really had to crank up the exposure) otherwise I might have cleaned them. A simple wet paper towel has served to get rid of such scuffs so far.

For bigger messes, you can take them out and hose them down, (they say to hang them up to dry in the shade) but I haven’t needed to do that yet.

Since they are essentially ridge-free — unlike so many rubber mats I’ve owned which are just full of nooks and crannies, I imagine cleaning these will be far easier, and provide far better results.

* I can’t directly compare to Husky/Weathertech, because I haven’t owned any mats from the two specific brands.

Last edited:
That makes sense, it just looked like your front had a textured/pebble/grain like finish, so I didn't know how they clean up

Can anyone tel me how the Maxpiders clean up compared to the Husky. They look great in the above pics, but it looks in the picture like they're textured and wouldn't clean up as nice.
I can't compare them to the Husky's but I have the OEM Canadian liners which are made by Maxpider & are similarly textured. They clean up fine. I take them out & wipe them down. They are a flexible plastic vs. rubber. I do have the OEM Mazda rubber cargo mat.
The liners were the only thing I was able to salvage & reuse when my first 2019 GTR was rear ended & totaled @ 4 months.

@hal2 I have the Maxpiders in my 2019 CX-5 GTR. They brush off / vacuum easily, and for the mud, snow mess they rinse off even easier. I haven't had them stain yet, and if the mud doesn't simply rinse off, I simply narrow the hose nozzle and spray them more aggressively. I am in Phoenix, so if you think you want to see / test the ease of cleaning let me know.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I can trust you guys. I'll check them out. They look really nice, because actually considering trading in the front huskys I have for them, but don't know if that's a waste of money since I already have something.

... but don't know if that's a waste of money since I already have something.

Functionally, you likely don’t gain a lot. Cosmetically, I think they would be a great improvement (but that is, of course, a subjective opinion). Probably easier to maintain and keep looking like new.

Might as well splurge. Considering how much you saved on the car (practically bankrupted your dealer), you can afford it. 😉

The top layer is made of a thermoplastic elastomer (thermoplastic rubber). The bottom has a sort of light, fibrous, pseudo-hook velcro texture that grips really well to vehicle carpets without marring them. A middle layer of XPE foam provides comfort padding and a degree of sound proofing.

Here are some close-up texture images stolen from 3D’s website:
( https://www.3dmatsusa.com/material-detail )

E12B88C1-F58F-4F53-95E4-6CBB9660510E.jpeg
4A28DFD5-4317-4E70-B803-06DADF8CAA97.jpeg

That makes sense, it just looked like your front had a textured/pebble/grain like finish, so I didn't know how they clean up.
It is a 100% certainty that the 3D mats will NOT clean up as quickly/easily as the Husky mats.

The Husky mats have a smooth, hard surface.
The 3D mats have a rubberized surface with thousands of divots that will trap dirt/mud/salt/ect.

It is a 100% certainty that the 3D mats will NOT clean up as quickly/easily as the Husky mats.

Show me the data / video proof :) . I think you are making an improper assumption that a smooth surface and material cannot be sticky or gather dirt grime and thus be "difficult" to clean. Or perhaps you are making an improper assumption that the material (with bumps) is more likely to gather / hold dirt and thus make it more difficult to clean. The material differences are the key.

I would conceed IF both mats were made with the same materials, that a textured surface may require additional effort to rinse/vaccum because many ridges / crevices. However the mats are not made with the same material.

Also if you could be so kind as what " quickly/easily " means to you that would help the conversation.

Last edited:
The Husky mats have a smooth, hard surface.

... with (according to Husky’s product photos) lots of narrow, parallel rows of ridges. So to spot clean you’ve got to run your paper towel or whatever through all those little ridges, and then go back to clean all the stubborn stuff from all those hard to reach 90° corners.

1125F777-A39F-4BA4-B371-CC3FC294E765.jpeg

Hey, maybe that isn’t an issue for you ... or the ridges aren’t as pronounced as they look in the images. To each his own. I’ve got no skin in the game; was just sharing my singular experience and opinion.

Show me the data / video proof :) .

I would conceed IF both mats were made with the same materials, that a textured surface may require additional effort to rinse/vaccum because many ridges / crevices. However the mats are not made with the same material.
The picture below is the only "proof" you need.
There are thousands of tiny divots that trap dust/dirt/salt/oil/ect.
You even acknowledge my point that that the textured surface requires additional effort because of these ridges/crevices.

The two brands are made of different material, and the 3D material makes them even harder to clean. It is a "thermoplastic rubber". The soft rubber-like material is going to 'grip' onto the dirt more and cause more friction when trying to wipe the dirt away.

Compare this with the firm, smooth plastic material of the Husky liners.
Which do you think will be easier to wipe dirt from?
I don't know how this is even debatable. A rubberized textured surface is absolutely going to require more effort than a smooth plastic surface.
Also if you could be so kind as what " quickly/easily " means to you that would help the conversation.
It means being able to restore the floor liner to like-new condition with one swipe of a wet microfiber towel, while still installed in the vehicle (like I do with Husky liners).

1601397872489.png

... with (according to Husky’s product photos) lots of narrow, parallel rows of ridges. So to spot clean you’ve got to run your paper towel or whatever through all those little ridges, and then go back to clean all the stubborn stuff from all those hard to reach 90° corners.
I don't care either way.
I was simply responding to the poster who stated the 3D mats had "a textured/pebble/grain like finish, so I didn't know how they clean up."

A rubberized textured surface with thousands of tiny crevices isn't going to be as easy to clean as a smooth hard plastic surface. I was just pointing this out to the poster.

You and other 3D owners describe taking the mats out of the vehicle and blasting them with water to get them clean. I've never done that with my Husky liners. Simply make one swipe with a wet microfiber, following the ridges, and I'm done.

The picture below is the only "proof" you need.
There are thousands of tiny divots that trap dust/dirt/salt/oil/ect.
You even acknowledge my point that that the textured surface requires additional effort because of these ridges/crevices.

The two brands are made of different material, and the 3D material makes them even harder to clean. It is a "thermoplastic rubber". The soft rubber-like material is going to 'grip' onto the dirt more and cause more friction when trying to wipe the dirt away.

Compare this with the firm, smooth plastic material of the Husky liners.
Which do you think will be easier to wipe dirt from?
I don't know how this is even debatable. A rubberized textured surface is absolutely going to require more effort than a smooth plastic surface.

It means being able to restore the floor liner to like-new condition with one swipe of a wet microfiber towel, while still installed in the vehicle (like I do with Husky liners).
View attachment 227396

I think you misunderstand what a thermoplastic elastomer is. It’s NOT rubber; and 3D’s version of it doesn’t have the grippy surface you might associate with rubber (like the grippy material of a car tire). It’s smooth and non-porous and stiffly self supporting (like a hard plastic), but soft to the touch and somewhat flexible (like rubber).

As for your skepticism that they can’t be cleaned with “one swipe of a wet microfiber towel while still installed in the vehicle” — that has been exactly my experience with them (though I’ve been using Bounty paper towels on the mats, to keep my microfibers from getting dirty and full of grit).

Last edited:
I think you misunderstand what a thermoplastic elastomer is.

As for your skepticism that they can’t be cleaned with “one swipe of a wet microfiber towel while still installed in the vehicle”
I was just quoting your description of the mats.
Your exact words were..."thermoplastic rubber".

I'm not expressing skepticism. I'm simply pointing what should be widely agreed to as a fact...
A textured surface with thousands of crevices will not clean up as quickly/easily/efficiently as a smooth hard plastic surface.

You and other 3D owners describe taking the mats out of the vehicle and blasting them with water to get them clean. I've never done that with my Husky liners. Simply make one swipe with a wet microfiber, following the ridges, and I'm done.
Yes, you can (like any floor mat or liner) remove them to clean when especially full of mud or snow or strawberry shake or whatever. I never said I’ve done that, because I haven’t.
73533221-B5F3-4A41-A4BF-42050136EEE2.jpeg

Glad your Husky mats clean easily, too (*as long as you follow the ridges).

Still feel the 3D liners look far classier and less ‘this is my work truck’ than WeatherTech / Husky liners ... but again, such opinions are obviously personal preference.

Still feel the 3D liners look far classier and less ‘this is my work truck’ than WeatherTech / Husky liners ... but again, such opinions are obviously personal preference.
I agree the 3D liners look marginally better (though that isn't relevant to ease of cleaning being discussed here).

However, you did choose a picture of a Husky mat from a work truck in attempting to make your "this is my work truck" point.

Here is what they actually look like in the CX-5.
Do the 3D liners look better? Yes, I think the 3D mats look slightly better.
Do these Husky liners look like you're getting into a work truck? I don't think so.
1601405118080.png

1601405145007.png

However, you did choose a picture of a Husky mat from a work truck in attempting to make your "this is my work truck" point.

Here is what they actually look like in the CX-5.
View attachment 227405
View attachment 227406
I didn’t ‘pick’ any pictures ... just used the one that showed up on the page I’d bookmarked when I was shopping for mats — the page for the 2020 CX-5.

The second picture I included because that is the one Husky choose for their advert about how easy it was to remove and hose them down — to make my point that all mats are designed to be removed when more aggressive cleaning is needed.

Appreciate you posting your pictures of the Husky mats built for the CX5 (in your CX-5). I posted a bunch of mine (the 3D ones) earlier in this thread. I found such pictures to be very helpful when I was shopping and deciding what worked best for me.

I would discount complaints of nooks and crannies. I have had both WeatherTech and husky, both easily rinse out. It's just a matter if you like the general look and feel of them or not

I would discount complaints of nooks and crannies. I have had both WeatherTech and husky, both easily rinse out. It's just a matter if you like the general look and feel of them or not
The discussion is not about WeatherTech vs. Husky...those products are quite similar.

The discussion is about 3D mats vs. Husky/WeatherTech.
The 3D liners are completely different and have thousands of small crevices.

Back