Trying to decide, spend the extra $3K to buy the Grand Touring Reserve with turbo engine?

:
Colorado
:
2020 Machine Gray
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and replies. Fact: I'm a 70 yr. old female. I'm planning on purchasing a new 2020 - CX-5 Grand Touring. I can't decide if it's worth the money to get the Reserve with the turbo engine. I don't drive high-way miles too often, but live close to the CO mtns. so when I do I usually head west. I do not want to drive in the right lane. I want to be able to pull out and cruise in the fast lane when possible. Other than that, I don't know that I would make use of the turbo engine. I had a 89 Ford Probe turbo when they 1st. came out and I remember how fun it was to drive! Most of my driving is in town stop and go traffic, with an occasional trip to KS. I'd appreciate anyone's input that has made a similar decision with similar driving habits. Thanks!!

I do have a Turbo car, but NOT the CX-5. I love my Turbo car - it's a 290hp sports car and I drive fast and round windy roads for fun. That's just so you know where I'm coming from...

However, our 2019 CX-5 is NOT a Turbo for many reasons... the Turbo (as you said) is more expensive to buy and more expensive to run (worse gas mileage) and probably worse insurance cost too (though not sure). It is obviously faster to accelerate than the non-turbo, but an SUV is really not a sports car. The standard 2.5 engine is plenty fast enough for regular duty and is fun to drive. It can accelerate into traffic perfectly well and can cruise all day at 80mph on long highway trips. Finally, in general, non-turbo engines are more reliable (and maybe cheaper to fix) than turbo ones.

Summary: Just my opinion, stick with the regular GT.

Hi RedBaron!
Thanks, I greatly appreciate your thoughtful response. I think the kid in me keeps popping up when I remember the fun of the turbo engine. I agree the SUV is not a sports car! Yes, I did a test drive in the non turbo engine, and I thought it was pretty peppy, especially compared to the CRV I test drove with the new turbo. But it really has a lag and I would prefer the regular 6 speed transmission. I appreciate your taking the time to respond!

I drove both. Bought the turbo. My son just bought a 2020 CRV touring with the turbo. It's ok but I like my GTR much more.

If you're going to drive the mountains alot you should test drive the base engine on a nearby steep hill if possible. If that's not to your liking then try the turbo.

My experience climbing the Niagara escarpment, essentially the same "hill" Niagara Falls spills over, about a 300 foot climb over about a 1/2 mile, I don't see much difference in normal driving from my old 245 hp V6 Accord. Once this vehicle gets to 3rd. gear it pulls uphill pretty quietly and comfortably. But you should try it for yourself.

I am 75 and picked the GT with Premium over the turbo, I have a corvette I don't drive much any more. Its less expensive to buy and operate and has plenty of power. Be sure to consider the Heads Up Display, Ventilated Seats, Auto folding mirrors so you can tell it is locked, Heated steering wheel and back seats, and in CO you may need the heated windshield wipers deicer that all are in the Premium Package...

If you post the topic under General Section, you’d get more response.

Here’s my take. If you plan to keep your new 2020 CX-5 for long term over 100K miles, go get the GT Reserve with 2.5T. I still have doubts on long-term reliability from naturally aspirated 2.5L which has cylinder deactivation feature.

I do have a Turbo car, but NOT the CX-5. I love my Turbo car - it's a 290hp sports car and I drive fast and round windy roads for fun. That's just so you know where I'm coming from...

However, our 2019 CX-5 is NOT a Turbo for many reasons... the Turbo (as you said) is more expensive to buy and more expensive to run (worse gas mileage) and probably worse insurance cost too (though not sure). It is obviously faster to accelerate than the non-turbo, but an SUV is really not a sports car. The standard 2.5 engine is plenty fast enough for regular duty and is fun to drive. It can accelerate into traffic perfectly well and can cruise all day at 80mph on long highway trips. Finally, in general, non-turbo engines are more reliable (and maybe cheaper to fix) than turbo ones.

Summary: Just my opinion, stick with the regular GT.
I'd have to disagree with you on the gas mileage. We have a 16 Touring and a 19 GTR and the 19 gets a little bit better mpg than the 16. Also insurance is the same (in our case). Won't comment on the reliability of turbo vs non-turbo because I just don't know.

Well not sure how often you drive on the mountains but turbo cars shouldn't be affected by elevation as much as non turbo cars would. And how many miles you drive per year?
I probably put less than 10,000 miles a year. Like I say mostly in traffic, and in town. Suburb to Denver.

If you're going to drive the mountains alot you should test drive the base engine on a nearby steep hill if possible. If that's not to your liking then try the turbo.

My experience climbing the Niagara escarpment, essentially the same "hill" Niagara Falls spills over, about a 300 foot climb over about a 1/2 mile, I don't see much difference in normal driving from my old 245 hp V6 Accord. Once this vehicle gets to 3rd. gear it pulls uphill pretty quietly and comfortably. But you should try it for yourself.
Thanks for your reply! I did a test drive up the 1st hill out of Denver on I-70. No problem merging or getting in the passing lane with the non-turbo. I only go up to the mtns. maybe 4x a year.

I am 75 and picked the GT with Premium over the turbo, I have a corvette I don't drive much any more. Its less expensive to buy and operate and has plenty of power. Be sure to consider the Heads Up Display, Ventilated Seats, Auto folding mirrors so you can tell it is locked, Heated steering wheel and back seats, and in CO you may need the heated windshield wipers deicer that all are in the Premium Package...
Thanks GAXIBM! The GT I test drove last week has the Premium Pkg. with all the items you listed. I think that would suffice for my needs. Appreciate your input!

If you post the topic under General Section, you’d get more response.

Here’s my take. If you plan to keep your new 2020 CX-5 for long term over 100K miles, go get the GT Reserve with 2.5T. I still have doubts on long-term reliability from naturally aspirated 2.5L which has cylinder deactivation feature.
Thanks yrwei52. I appreciate your response. Like I said I'm 70, put about 10,000 on a yr. = 100,000 mi. would make me 80, not sure I would need, or should be driving the turbo at that age. 🤣 I think it will be my last vehicle. I do not know what the cylinder deactivation feature is, or how that would relate to my pick? I appreciate your thoughtful response!

The cylinder deactivation feature had a programming problem when it first came out but I have not seen any complaints on the 2020s or late 2019s. It closes off 2 of the 4 cylinders when under very light load to save a little fuel, mine works fine and it is very hard to know when it is active unless you watch the program monitor.

I am 65 and a motorhead from way back. After a lifetime of sports cars I needed something more practical and with AWD as I retired and moved to the mountains and have some snow to deal with a few times a year.
I bought the GT-Reserve with turbo. I would not have considered otherwise. In fact if they offered a 300 hp version I would have chosen that option.
My average fuel economy at 7800 miles is 21.8 MPG. It easily achieves 27 MPG on freeway runs doing 70 MPH. And I run premium fuel in it.
A couple times a month I drive down to a nearby city to really load up on groceries and the power of the turbo paired with an excellent transmission and a lot of torque at low RPM's makes the climb back up to 6000 ft. a breeze.
Unless your requirements for the vehicle are regular freeway commuting with the vehicle empty or lightly loaded and MPG is an extremely important criteria, go with the turbo engine.

Thanks Dwight - I really appreciate you taking the time to give a thoughtful response! Do you mind me asking what tires you use for the snow? Most of my driving is in town, so I'm not sure I need the turbo, but in CO we do have a bit of snow.

I'd have to disagree with you on the gas mileage. We have a 16 Touring and a 19 GTR and the 19 gets a little bit better mpg than the 16.

Well that just goes to prove YMMV! :D

But EPA figures show that the Turbo is 2-3mpg (around 10%) worse than the non-Turbo:

The turbo model only comes with AWD so you must add that cost to the touring or GT to get a fair comarison. In addition you get higher quality leather and a few other nice thing with the turbo. I think the out-the-door difference will be closer to 1,800 dollars. Ed

Back