Curious New Owner Of A 2016 Touring Model

I just purchased a 2016 AWD Touring model with both upgrade packages- bose/moonroof and touring technology. The color is blue reflex mica.

My priority was a 2016, low mileage, AWD Touring model, preferably in either the blue, red or grey color.

The CX-5 was $17,900, about $20k all in. It has 23.5k miles. I’m happy with the deal, especially since used car prices seem to now be increasing due to the pandemic.

Random questions of curiosity:

I’m assuming that my CX-5 is a 2016.5 model. The ID sticker says it was manufactured 9/16.

Does anyone have a breakdown of when 2016, 2016.5 models were sold? From what I’ve read, it all seems fuzzy to actual years and then what was the overlap of 2016 to 2016.5 to 2017? Were the 2016s available sometime in 2015, 2016s, 2016.5s sold together for a time and maybe the 2017s started to be available end of 2016? It must have been confusing buying a CX-5 then.

How rare is my model, as equipped? After I bought it, I started looking for similar Touring models and it seems the touring technology package for that trim level was seldom produced. I imagine most people interested in those features just opted for the Grand Touring level with the similar package? Although, it looks like plenty of Grand Touring models also don’t have the technology package.

The blue reflex mica also appears to be rare (unpopular?). I guess the darker blue became the preference for people looking for a blue car?

Any quirks to which to pay attention? I think I’m out of the recall range of the LED daytime running light problem, please correct me if I am wrong.

The LED lights are interesting, I’ll pose my questions about them in a separate thread.

Thanks!

I just purchased a 2016 AWD Touring model with both upgrade packages- bose/moonroof and touring technology. The color is blue reflex mica.

My priority was a 2016, low mileage, AWD Touring model, preferably in either the blue, red or grey color.

The CX-5 was $17,900, about $20k all in. It has 23.5k miles. I’m happy with the deal, especially since used car prices seem to now be increasing due to the pandemic.

Random questions of curiosity:

I’m assuming that my CX-5 is a 2016.5 model. The ID sticker says it was manufactured 9/16.

Does anyone have a breakdown of when 2016, 2016.5 models were sold? From what I’ve read, it all seems fuzzy to actual years and then what was the overlap of 2016 to 2016.5 to 2017? Were the 2016s available sometime in 2015, 2016s, 2016.5s sold together for a time and maybe the 2017s started to be available end of 2016? It must have been confusing buying a CX-5 then.

How rare is my model, as equipped? After I bought it, I started looking for similar Touring models and it seems the touring technology package for that trim level was seldom produced. I imagine most people interested in those features just opted for the Grand Touring level with the similar package? Although, it looks like plenty of Grand Touring models also don’t have the technology package.

The blue reflex mica also appears to be rare (unpopular?). I guess the darker blue became the preference for people looking for a blue car?

Any quirks to which to pay attention? I think I’m out of the recall range of the LED daytime running light problem, please correct me if I am wrong.

The LED lights are interesting, I’ll pose my questions about them in a separate thread.

Thanks!
What you’ve said mostly are correct. 2016 CX-5 had a face-lift from 2015 CX-5 and had added many new features such as available LED headlights、Electrical Parking Brake、new Mazda Connect infotainment system with control panel、available i-ActiveSense Package、and better seatings, etc. For North American market, Mazda started selling 2016 CX-5 in late January, 2015. Then were selling the 2016.5 CX-5 with minor changes starting about February 2016 until the 2nd-gen 2017 CX-5 coming out in April 2017.

Your CX-5 is indeed a 2016.5 CX-5, which I‘d consider the best gen-1 CX-5 available as most of design flaws had been fixed or revised by that time. Many TSBs are for 2016 CX-5’s but not for 2016.5 CX-5. You’ll also notice there’re 4 safety recalls on 2016 CX-5 with Technology Package, but none of them applicable to your 2016.5 CX-5! Your factory window sticker, if you can find it, should say 2016.5 CX-5 too.

And yes, a 2016.5 CX-5 Touring AWD with optional Bose / Moonroof Package was very common. But a Touring with optional Touring Technology Package (LED headlights with AFS etc.) was indeed very、very rare. In fact, this’s the first time I’ve ever heard with such combination actually exists. Blue Reflex Mica was rare too and such color is no longer available from Mazda for CX-5.

Is it a CPO? Or a private sale?

So all in all, you’ve found a diamond in the rough IMO, especially with such a low mileage at only 23.5K miles! (y)

The easiest way to see if it's a 16 or 16.5 is to look at the Mazda Connect screen. If it's the free standing one it's a 16.5; if it's embedded in the dash it's a 16

The easiest way to see if it's a 16 or 16.5 is to look at the Mazda Connect screen. If it's the free standing one it's a 16.5; if it's embedded in the dash it's a 16

Nope ... I have a 16.5 and infotainment is built-in the dash

No, I have a ‘16 and a good friend of mine who took my suggestion and got a ‘16.5, both infotainment systems are identical.

Is it a CPO? Or a private sale?
I bought it from a Mitsubishi dealer in Virginia. I asked how they got it and they said it wasn't a trade-in. Their used car dept runs their own acquisition operation and looks for cars worth flipping, stressing low mileage vehicles.

According to Carfax, my CX-5 (ID sticker of 9/16) wasn't originally sold until April, 2017. Which has me chuckling a little at the current comments regarding what constitutes a "new" car going on in another thread.

Perhaps a standard three year lease was up about the time the dealership bought it, around June of this year.

Last edited:
The easiest way to see if it's a 16 or 16.5 is to look at the Mazda Connect screen.
As far as I've read, there were minimal if any physical changes between 2016 and 2016.5 models and nothing different with the Infotainment screen setup.

I've seen mention of tiny tweaks to the shark fin antennae, maybe the side mirrors. Maybe an expert here can point out if there were physical changes at all.

IIRC there weren't any outward physical changes. There were changes with how the option packages were configured. One change I seem to recall was the availability of dual climate on the Touring level which was previously only on the GT. There may have been others but I'm getting old and forgetful. 🤔

IIRC there weren't any outward physical changes. There were changes with how the option packages were configured. One change I seem to recall was the availability of dual climate on the Touring level which was previously only on the GT. There may have been others but I'm getting old and forgetful. 🤔
For 2016.5 CX-5, dual-zone automatic climate control still only available on GT, not Touring. The most significant change on 2016.5 CX-5 Touring was Mazda added navigation and heated front seats as the standard equipment. So if a gen-1 CX-5 has heated cloth front seats, it’s definitely a 2016.5 CX-5 Touring as Mazda has never offered heated feature on cloth upholstery.

Other changes on 2016.5 Mazda CX-5 were the backup camera becoming standard on all but the Sport with manual transmission. And for Grand Touring, the navigation became standard.

I bought it from a Mitsubishi dealer in Virginia. I asked how they got it and they said it wasn't a trade-in. Their used car dept runs their own acquisition operation and looks for cars worth flipping, stressing low mileage vehicles.

According to Carfax, my CX-5 (ID sticker of 9/16) wasn't originally sold until April, 2017. Which has me chuckling a little at the current comments regarding what constitutes a "new" car going on in another thread.

Perhaps a standard three year lease was up about the time the dealership bought it, around June of this year.
Based on your story everything makes sense to me. Most customers who’re interested in a CX-5 Touring most likely either want to pay less, or a few want only the cloth seats. A Touring with both Moonroof and Bose Audio Package ($1,130 MSRP) and Touring Technology Package ($1,625 MSRP) would cost $2,755 more which made most customers would consider a higher trim GT model. This’s why most Mazda dealer would try to order CX-5 Tourings without any optional packages if possible so that they’re easier to sell with lower price. Your Touring AWD with both 2 possible optional packages and surcharge on Blue Reflex Mica which had become the most expensive CX-5 Touring in dealer’s lot. No wonder it couldn’t get sold until gen-2 2017 CX-5 had arrived late March 2017, and Mazda started to offere big incentives ($2,000 or higher on rebates) for older 2016.5 models and your most-expensive CX-5 Touring finally got sold. :)

As far as I've read, there were minimal if any physical changes between 2016 and 2016.5 models and nothing different with the Infotainment screen setup.

I've seen mention of tiny tweaks to the shark fin antennae, maybe the side mirrors. Maybe an expert here can point out if there were physical changes at all.
Nothing had changed physically between 2016 and 2016.5 CX-5 including shark fin antenna and side mirrors.

Thanks yrwei52 on the incisive info. It certainly makes sense that a customer would just opt for a GT over the maxed out Touring version I found.

Of course, everyone always wants to pay less but in this case, to use a double negative, I didn't want to pay for what I didn't want, the 19" wheels and leather seats that are GT standards. Alas, a fully loaded Touring was preferable, regardless of price.

Any quirks to which to pay attention?

I have a 2016.5 touring with 95k miles on it now. Been a rock solid performer. Only two things that have happened with ours ...

Driver seat motor is "noisy" when you move it fore/aft. (It's the cable and can be easily replaced. We rarely move the seat so I don't worry about it)

Switch for overhead "room lamp" seems to be stuck in the "door" position. Again, we don't really turn it to on or off positions so I don't worry about it.

Solid vehicle. Congratulations. I'd say it's the best of gen 1. We plan to run this till the wheels fall off. 250k? 350k? We'll see how far it goes.

I have a 2016.5 touring with 95k miles on it now. Been a rock solid performer. Only two things that have happened with ours ...

Driver seat motor is "noisy" when you move it fore/aft. (It's the cable and can be easily replaced. We rarely move the seat so I don't worry about it)

Switch for overhead "room lamp" seems to be stuck in the "door" position. Again, we don't really turn it to on or off positions so I don't worry about it.

Solid vehicle. Congratulations. I'd say it's the best of gen 1. We plan to run this till the wheels fall off. 250k? 350k? We'll see how far it goes.
Yes, Your 2016.5 CX-5 is the best gen-1 CX-5 You can get. It has the best looks with swirl side body line from original Kodo design. And it has 2 major revised parts, rear disk brake calipers (EPB dragging and locking-up issue causing premature pads wear-out) and LED headlights (if equipped) which would cost an arm and leg to fix them without warranty. It has revised fuel filler pipe、revised programming on passenger-side air bag、and enhanced liftgate struts, and 4 of them are involved safety recalls on 2016 CX-5. Not to mention it doesn’t have problematic cylinder deactivation which could cause some problems for long-term reliability.

Back