Oil Leak underneath passenger side

Check all your fluids to see if any are low.
Brake fluid, power steering fluid, rad fluid(in the overflow tank), engine oil, transmission fluid.

Smoke caused by fluid burning on the exhaust pipe is different than smoke blowing out the tailpipe.

Check all your fluids to see if any are low.
Brake fluid, power steering fluid, rad fluid(in the overflow tank), engine oil, transmission fluid.

Smoke caused by fluid burning on the exhaust pipe is different than smoke blowing out the tailpipe.
Brake fluid was a little low but not leaking anywhere. Everything else was full, it didn’t even smoke this morning for some reason and it was 48 degrees. My passenger axle boot is ripped but I don’t think that would cause a puddle under the car

The brake fluid level drops as your brake pads wear.
Once the level gets to the low mark, it's time to check your brakes.

You're going to need a new axle shortly. Once dirt and water get inside the axle goes bad quickly.
Removing the axle from the steering knuckle can be a real PITA.
You will probably need a sledgehammer.

The reddish/brown fluid could be just antifreeze that got dirty?

The brake fluid level drops as your brake pads wear.
Once the level gets to the low mark, it's time to check your brakes.

You're going to need a new axle shortly. Once dirt and water get inside the axle goes bad quickly.
Removing the axle from the steering knuckle can be a real PITA.
You will probably need a sledgehammer.

The reddish/brown fluid could be just antifreeze that got dirty?
Pads are going on this weekend and rear rotors. I kinda redneck engineered an axle boot off of a cavalier onto it for now lol it definitely looks like it’s gonna be a headache to change the axle though.
I guess the car just smokes when it wants to,it’s 74 degrees outside now and I started it about an hour ago and it was cheechin again lol
But I’m really not sure what it is..it might be coolant,I’ll have to flush the radiator whenever I work on it this weekend

When you push your brake pistons in to change your pads, the brake fluid reservoir will probably go back to the full mark.

You can also get a split boot that wraps around the axle then you glue it shut.

It's kinda cheesy though but it's a perfect redneck fix.

Chances are that you've got crap in the joint and it will fail soon enough anyway.

When you push your brake pistons in to change your pads, the brake fluid reservoir will probably go back to the full mark.

You can also get a split boot that wraps around the axle then you glue it shut.

It's kinda cheesy though but it's a perfect redneck fix.

Chances are that you've got crap in the joint and it will fail soon enough anyway.
Hopefully I won’t have to even put the pads and rotors on this on lol I got them anyway though just in case my other deal falls through.
Hell I might do that to the axle for now,it wouldn’t be the worst redneck fix I’ve done😂
But yeah I’m sure my axle has all sorts of dirt and grime in it,its harvest time around here right now and almost everyone has soybeans,so I’m sure that’s gonna be a dusty and crusty nightmare when it comes out

The axle splines like to seize into the hub and you may have to pound the shyte out of it to remove it.
Then when it comes time to install the new axle, the one side (the passenger side I think?) is a royal PITA to get the snap ring to pop into the transmission. (or the joint shaft.)

It's best to lay on the ground and hold the axle perfectly straight and compressed (it has some in and out movement as well as the wobble), then get someone to crack the axle with a sledgehammer.
(Use a trusted friend, ... They're wielding a sledgehammer. Lol)

It takes quite a crack to seat that c-clip.

The axle splines like to seize into the hub and you may have to pound the shyte out of it to remove it.
Then when it comes time to install the new axle, the one side (the passenger side I think?) is a royal PITA to get the snap ring to pop into the transmission. (or the joint shaft.)

It's best to lay on the ground and hold the axle perfectly straight and compressed (it has some in and out movement as well as the wobble), then get someone to crack the axle with a sledgehammer.
(Use a trusted friend, ... They're wielding a sledgehammer. Lol)

It takes quite a crack to seat that c-clip.
Seized axles is nothing new lol seems like every FWD I’ve owned besides a few Honda’s never wanted to let go of their old axles.

but as for the sledgehammer,I think I’ll make my buddy hold the axle and I’ll use the hammer lol last time we tried something like that I had to drill a hole in my pinky nail and ring finger nail

... lol last time we tried something like that I had to drill a hole in my pinky nail and ring finger nail

I've done that too. Lol
I put a 1/8" drill bit in the big drill press and drilled a hole.
As soon as the blood came out my finger stopped hurting instantly.

I've done that too. Lol
I put a 1/8" drill bit in the big drill press and drilled a hole.
As soon as the blood came out my finger stopped hurting instantly.
Oh yeah,it’s crazy how fast the pain goes away when there’s no pressure on the nails. If I have to drill a hole in a nail though,I use a 1/8th bit as well but I usually use the impact gun lol the vibrations feel funny as hell until it pops through

Hell I might do that to the axle for now,it wouldn’t be the worst redneck fix I’ve done😂

I remember using a split boot about 25 years ago. It was before they came out with the glue together type and mine had about a dozen little nylon nuts and bolts instead.

It came with new grease so I wiped off all the old grease and then sprayed it down with varsol to wash away as much dirt as I could, then applied the new grease.

The boot didn't last though and it was just sort of pinched together and not sealed.
I've never tried the glue together type.

You gotta love the redneck fixes.
My exhaust flanges rotted off and I wasn't interested in replacing the entire exhaust (as well as probably the precat, O2 sensors and trying to remove the snapped exhaust studs from the block, as well as everything else that crumbles), so I cut them off, put an exhaust coupling over the area, caked it in high heat silicone and clamped it.

My downpipe snapped off too...
I fixed it.
It's still a spring-loaded flexible connection. Lol

Mine does the same thing. Smokes (white) like a freight train when it’s cold until it either warms up or I get around 35mph and keep it there for a minute or two. Have a big reddish brown puddle under the front of the car and can’t tell where it’s coming from. Almost seems like my radiator is leaking by the drain plug in the bottom of the core support but it’s definitely got green coolant, not sure where this murky mess keeps coming from. Smells like oil but can’t find a leak anywhere. 🤨
mine was leaking power steering from the power steering return line on the front of the car attached to the front of the radiator in the lower grille. $78 part sent directly to me and i replaced it and now the car runs like a dream. the exhaust out the back even stopped! id suggest jacking the car up and seeing if you can get underneath it and find the leak.

mine was leaking power steering from the power steering return line on the front of the car attached to the front of the radiator in the lower grille. $78 part sent directly to me and i replaced it and now the car runs like a dream. the exhaust out the back even stopped! id suggest jacking the car up and seeing if you can get underneath it and find the leak.
I’ll have to give it a look, thanks man!

But at the same time, I kinda don’t care too much to fix it because I just picked up another P5 that needs a timing belt, gonna put a new one on tomorrow and if the engine is smoked, I’ll just use my smoke wagon as a donor lol. That’s crazy how that fixed the issue though, I’ve noticed these cars are super touchy. The timing is a tooth or two off on the new car and that’s what kept it from starting...I’ve been 4 teeth off on an f22a1 before and it ran. lmao

Burning oil can definitely look white. Do a couple of tests to check for a bad head gasket and do the test to see if valve seals or oil rings are the issue. If your oil rings are the issue I highly recommend doing and a couple of engine oil flushes before it gets any worse.

Back