2017~2024 Anybody replace the plastic headlight lens cover?

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
There's a crack in my driver's side headlight lens cover. It's not all the way through yet but will probably eventually crack through. Anybody have to replace one? Is it a DIY or do you need to drop the bumper? Something the dealer should do? Apprx. how much for the lens cover?

as far as I know, the headlight is one whole assembly. Not sure you can change or actually buy the plastic outer part separately.Which may mean the whole headlight.

I've put 3m film on mine to protect it from chips and rocks because the headlight is bloody expensive but I guess it should be covered under glass for some of insurance companies.

Last edited:
The plastic cover appears to be separate from the internal light housing. That would be a crazy design if you had to replace the whole assembly if the plastic cracked.

The plastic cover appears to be separate from the internal light housing. That would be a crazy design if you had to replace the whole assembly if the plastic cracked.
I'm curious to see what the headlight plastic cover replacement is like. Please post pics of the procedure when you do it.

Most cars made in the last 10 years are drop-the-bumper to replace headlight lenses. That said, do you have glass breakage coverage on you insurance, like for windshields? State Farm confirmed that my windshield/glass coverage includes all glass including sunroof and headlights (yes, I know it's plastic not glass). As an aside, windshield cracks are so common in AZ that the law requires insurance companies to at least offer glass coverage.

The headlight assembly is $600 and a single unit. Mazda does not sell replacement lens covers. Part number KL2J-51-031C:

1599494344264.png

Most cars made in the last 10 years are drop-the-bumper to replace headlight lenses. That said, do you have glass breakage coverage on you insurance, like for windshields? State Farm confirmed that my windshield/glass coverage includes all glass including sunroof and headlights (yes, I know it's plastic not glass). As an aside, windshield cracks are so common in AZ that the law requires insurance companies to at least offer glass coverage.

I have glass coverage, not sure if it covers headlight lens. Will have to check the policy. I'm not going to do anything until/unless the plastic actually breaks.
Right now there's just a thin line running vertical on the side of the lens cover. It could crack open tomorrow or 10 years from now or never. Who knows.

I've looked into this before, since I am looking to do my own headlight retrofit. The options going down are cheaper, but are riskier and require more DIY/effort.

If you decide on OEM or Aftermarket assemblies, you will need to determine if you have directional/adaptive beam or not; I believe this is when the headlight turns with the steering wheel.

OEM
Mazda only sells the headlight as an assembly.
The part numbers are as follows for the Left, there is one with and one without directional beam:
KL2J-51-041C
KL2L-51-041C

Purchasing new is your best bet to have peace of mind of a perfectly working new OEM unit. I would ask your nearby Mazda dealer's if you can purchase and pickup that part number from them. In my experience, some dealers do not want to let you do this and you may have to search online for Mazda Dealers Parts websites to see who has the best price including shipping. The dealer I linked above in my experience has the cheapest parts including shipping.

Another option is to search for the part number on eBay and see if there are good deals on used assemblies and sometimes there are Mazda dealers selling on there as well. Also check junkyards, other websites selling OEM, etc.

Aftermarket
Another option is to purchase aftermarket or remanufactured headlight assemblies. I am personally not a huge fan of these. In my experience, the quality is just poor. Examples:

DIY
The final option is to purchase an aftermarket headlight lens from China. At ~$65 this is the cheapest and riskiest option, as you have to hope it fits perfectly, is shipped to you in one piece, and you will have to wait at least a month for shipping from China.
You will have to heat up your current headlight assembly, remove the lens, remove the old adhesive, add new adhesive, and attach the lens back. You can look up these videos on YouTube where people do headlight retrofits where they remove the lens and put it back.

Notes
In conclusion, if you need an assembly now, definitely go through a Mazda dealer to get the whole assembly. You can save a little money by finding a used unit. You can save the most money by going down the DIY route by purchasing from China. The choice is yours.

As mentioned, you will have to drop the front bumper. And when you are done, you may have to re-aim your headlights.

Let me know if you need more information on anything.

I have glass coverage, not sure if it covers headlight lens. Will have to check the policy. I'm not going to do anything until/unless the plastic actually breaks.
Right now there's just a thin line running vertical on the side of the lens cover. It could crack open tomorrow or 10 years from now or never. Who knows.
Just trying to clarify, are you talking about your 2019 CX-5 GT-R AWD or 2016 CX-5 Touring AWD? The former has LED headlights and AFS which will be whole lot more expensive ($1,000 ~ $1,200 MSRP) than the latter! But you can find much cheaper after-market headlights (~$150?) for your 2016 CX-5 Touring with non-LED and no-AFS headlights.

If you see the moisture or the condensation inside of the lens after the rain or car-wash in your cracked headlight, it’s time to get the headlight assembly replaced.

Just trying to clarify, are you talking about your 2019 CX-5 GT-R AWD or 2016 CX-5 Touring AWD? The former has LED headlights and AFS which will be whole lot more expensive ($1,000 ~ $1,200 MSRP) than the latter! But you can find much cheaper after-market headlights (~$150?) for your 2016 CX-5 Touring with non-LED and no-AFS headlights.

If you see the moisture or the condensation inside of the lens after the rain or car-wash in your cracked headlight, it’s time to get the headlight assembly replaced.
2019 Reserve. I'll wait and see if it ever leaks.

Can you put some glue in the crack to seal it? If the crack doesn't get bigger, that may help keep it from going all the way through.

Can you put some glue in the crack to seal it? If the crack doesn't get bigger, that may help keep it from going all the way through.
Thanks, you just gave me an idea. Wonder if Safelite could do something to keep it from expanding like they do on windshields?

I think not really. Its not a multi layer glass.
The way it works with glass is they suck the air out and fill in special compound for glass but there is the bottom layer and surrounding glass layer (windshield is multi layered) to keep the compound from spreading in and out. Modern headlamps come with just a single "plastic-type" outer layer for cover.

I would see if putting a transparent film for headlamps but that would be a band aid and probably crack will be visible through it.
This will 'glue it' and no water or air can enter after. There may be some moistire from the film install but it should disappear.
Usually its allowed in most states if its transparent.
but at the end there is a chance you may have to change the headlamp eventually.

Last edited:
Those things are tough to crack. What caused it?

It's not covered under windshield coverage, it's body damage. I would get it covered under insurance and have a new OEM headlight assembly installed.

Those things are tough to crack. What caused it?

It's not covered under windshield coverage, it's body damage. I would get it covered under insurance and have a new OEM headlight assembly installed.
My wife sideswiped the garage post (the area between the two doors) backing out of the garage. It pushed the drivers side front quarterpanel in and apparently the pressure from that shot forward causing a gap in the panel and the bumper and a stress fracture in the plastic lens cover.
Had a PDR guy fix the dent in the quarterpanel and he dropped the bumper and re-aligned it.
Looks brand new except for a little vertical crack in the lens. It's not all the way through so it may never crack all the way. I hope.

My wife sideswiped the garage post (the area between the two doors) backing out of the garage. It pushed the drivers side front quarterpanel in and apparently the pressure from that shot forward causing a gap in the panel and the bumper and a stress fracture in the plastic lens cover.
Had a PDR guy fix the dent in the quarterpanel and he dropped the bumper and re-aligned it.
Looks brand new except for a little vertical crack in the lens. It's not all the way through so it may never crack all the way. I hope.

Oh I see...Same thing happen to my co-worker on his Acura RDX. Try posting a picture of the lens. Perhaps applying Headlight protection film over it is all you need!

There's a crack in my driver's side headlight lens cover. It's not all the way through yet but will probably eventually crack through. Anybody have to replace one? Is it a DIY or do you need to drop the bumper? Something the dealer should do? Apprx. how much for the lens cover?
Dear @wlong01,

So what happened with your headlight? Did you replaced with new one or replaced just headlight lens cover?

Back