2020 CX-5 mysterious battery draw

The staff at my dealer are friendly, I guess they just don't know what to do, they had another CX5 there with the same problem and said they are investigating....

Thanks for the module number, I will be talking to them again tomorrow.
Service Alert SA-049/20 (not a TSB) posted in post #23 above by zroger73 clearly stated the dealer should contact Technical Hotline for the latest repair information. And zroger73 was also kind enough to show us the difference between problematic factory Power Liftgate Control Module KBG6-62-6H0C and the revised version with pictures. Why your dealer let the customers go without doing anything, and didn’t contact Mazda’s Hotline seeking for help is a mystery.

You can just show the post #23 to your Mazda dealer and zroger73 has provided all the information they need to fix your problem. The only question is if you want to push for a new battery like OP Trygg did.

It may get the job done on a 4 cylinder engine. Size matters when it comes to jump starters.

That’s what I have.
CX-5 GT: 2.5L, NA,16-valve, 4-cylinder.

But, I suppose I can do some more shopping around too see if I can find something better.

I was trying to find specs for what the car actually required but came up empty. Saw that in the store and figured it was worth grabbing.

As I posted a while ago I had 2 battery failures in the first 3 months of ownership (Feb and April). I'm in Canada and Mazda Canada is not affiliated with Mazda NA which is US and Mexico. However, I copied the TSB and picture of the replacement part to Mazda Canada who then forwarded it to my dealer. They felt I was in the correct VIN and manufacturing date range and last week replaced the part. Hopefully that is the long term solution.

Some updates:

1. In Japan, Mazda has issued a "service campaign" (recall) for faulty power lift gate control units.

Translated from Japanese: "In the power lift gate control unit, the setting to switch to the power saving mode is inappropriate. Therefore, even if the push button start is pressed to turn off the power position after the power lift gate is activated, the power lift gate does not switch to the power saving mode. there is. Therefore, electricity continues to flow to the unit, and the battery may run out if the vehicle is not used for a certain period of time."

2. Joe F., a technician at a US Mazda dealer, said on Facebook, "We got a list of cars at my dealership in inventory and recently sold that we are just replacing P.L.M. I've done like 15 at least."

3. Jerry S., who is apparently an owner in the Philippines, said on Facebook, "Brought my 2020 CX-5 in for an oil change and while they were writing it up, service advisor checked for recall on the power lift gate issue. He said that there was one and they were going to replace my PLG module even though I didn’t have any problems with it so far. He said that my vehicle falls in the VIN range of affected vehicles, that’s why they’re replacing it now instead of waiting for it to happen. Cool."

4. Raymond T., a salesperson at a US Mazda dealership, said on Facebook, "I’m a sales person at Mazda. We are automatically setting up service appointments to replace the PLG module for anyone who purchases a new CX5."

5. Mazda updated the service alert SA-049/20 for a third time on 7/31/20 to direct dealers to confirm that the battery drain wasn't the customer's fault before calling Mazda Hotline.

1. In Japan, Mazda has issued a "service campaign" (recall) for faulty power lift gate control units.

Translated from Japanese: "In the power lift gate control unit, the setting to switch to the power saving mode is inappropriate. Therefore, even if the push button start is pressed to turn off the power position after the power lift gate is activated, the power lift gate does not switch to the power saving mode. there is. Therefore, electricity continues to flow to the unit, and the battery may run out if the vehicle is not used for a certain period of time."

I wonder if the above means that the issue occurs when you turn off the car while the lift gate is still in the process of opening or closing?

Sounds like it means it's not affected by the vehicle ignition switch.

. "There is." Not sure about this statement.

Too bad I don't know Japanese.

Sounds like it means it's not affected by the vehicle ignition switch.

. "There is." Not sure about this statement.

Too bad I don't know Japanese.

Here are some additional translations:

"The powerlifting gate control unit may not be able to switch to power saving mode after activating the powerlifting gate, even if the push-button start is pressed and the power position is turned off, because the powerlifting Gate Control Unit is not set to power saving mode.Therefore, the battery may rise if the electricity continues to flow to the same unit and the vehicle is not used for a certain period of time."

"The power lift gate control unit may not switch to power-saving mode even if the power lift gate is activated and the push button start is pressed to turn off the power position, due to improper switching settings to power-saving mode. Therefore, if the unit continues to flow with electricity and the vehicle is not used for a certain period of time, the battery may go up."

Or simply download Microsoft's Translator app.

Google Chrome (and derivatives like Brave) also supports on the fly translation:

long story short, reading a blog or website posted in another language should be a very low barrier to access with several easy to use accessibility options.

When I had my car in for an oil change service this week the dealer said my car (2020 GT) was subject to a recall for the power liftgate control module and asked if I wanted this done. I said yes, took about an hour to complete the replacement and programming.

So it just happened to me tonight, after 1,938 miles of ownership (2020 CX-5 GT PP).

Car was dead as can be. Had to break open the fob to get in; and nothing at all worked. Not a trickle of power left. Car had sat maybe 18 hours.

Glad I’d seen this thread and knew to be prepared by buying a lithium ion jump starter.

Fwiw, I upgraded to this one (below) from the one I’d bought previously; and it worked flawlessly. Had to hit the ‘boost’ button to get the interior power to come on to enable the keyless ignition switch.

After starting, speedometer display cycled through the following warnings:

“Front Radar Sensor System Malfunction”
“Keyless System Malfunction”
“Forward Smart City Brake Support Malfunction”
“Smart Brake System Malfunction”

TACKLIFE KP120 1200A Peak Car Jump Starter for up to 8L Gas and 6L Diesel Engines, 12V Car Booster, Portable Power Pack with QC 3.0 and Type-C Port

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

As I posted a while ago I had 2 battery failures in the first 3 months of ownership (Feb and April). I'm in Canada and Mazda Canada is not affiliated with Mazda NA which is US and Mexico. However, I copied the TSB and picture of the replacement part to Mazda Canada who then forwarded it to my dealer. They felt I was in the correct VIN and manufacturing date range and last week replaced the part. Hopefully that is the long term solution.

How did you contact Mazda Canada? I am in same boat. 2020 CX5 Turbo

Remind me again ... what kind of damage (re: performance or lifetime) does completely discharging my battery do to the battery, and what sort of damage can be done to the alternator if my only choice is to recharge the completely dead battery by driving it after a jump start?

I don’t have a 3-stage charger (or any charger) and I’m on the road a few hundred miles from my dealer.

This is rather frustrating, since avoiding this sort of situation is exactly why I splurged on a brand new car in the first place.

Remind me again ... what kind of damage (re: performance or lifetime) does completely discharging my battery do to the battery, and what sort of damage can be done to the alternator if my only choice is to recharge the completely dead battery by driving it after a jump start?

I don’t have a 3-stage charger (or any charger) and I’m on the road a few hundred miles from my dealer.

This is rather frustrating, since avoiding this sort of situation is exactly why I splurged on a brand new car in the first place.
The Mazda system shuts off power around 10v to protect the battery from complete discharge. Did you measure the battery at the terminal s?

I had a 'dead' battery a year ago but I have prevented a recurrence and the batttery (4 yo now) is still holding a decent charge.

I guess you might have a bad liftgate module?

The Mazda system shuts off power around 10v to protect the battery from complete discharge. Did you measure the battery at the terminal s?

I had a 'dead' battery a year ago but I have prevented a recurrence and the batttery (4 yo now) is still holding a decent charge.

I guess you might have a bad liftgate module?

I didn’t measure the battery at the terminals because I don’t have that equipment on the road with me. I do presumably have the bad liftgate module as there would be absolutely no other reason for me to have experienced a dead battery like this.

I can only hope the car shut off power in time to prevent a full discharge; but since the problem is caused by the electrical system not doing what it is supposed to be doing in the first place, how can I be sure?

Back