ND MX-5 Jeff's 2016 ST GT Build

CTt3P5

TAD
Contributor
:
2016 GT ST 47A
Third time is a charm? This is my third Miata in six years! Bought my 2003 Shinsen in 2014 which was totaled by a tractor trailer, nine months later. Next up was my 2008 SE which was a total loss due to flooding earlier this month. So, fingers crossed that I won't be Miata shopping for awhile....unless it is on my terms! lol

Naturally I was in the market for another one and had my sights on a PRHT NC3. While searching I filtered in 2016s and 2017s as they were pricing alongside NCs. I found this one listed on the USAA car buying service for $13,725 with 107,689K miles. The ceramic metallic caught my eye as I have always loved this color. The USAA discount was $13,580 plus $129 dealer fees (capped by state of AR) so I paid $13709.

The higher mileage didn't scare me as I know the Miata is reliable and I bought my 2008 with nearly identical mileage 5yrs ago and she was still running strong with 181K miles on the odometer. I called the dealer to find out more and my salesman was awesome. We connected via Google Duo and he did a video walk around, cold start and then a virtual test drive (another salesman held his phone). Everything looked good so I passed on having a PPI done. He texted and called me daily during the process to keep me updated as well as another video walkaround prior to the driver showing up. He even stayed late the day the driver picked it up so he could call me to let me know that he was watching the driver load the car on the trailer.

With the deal done, I paid $989 (w/guaranteed top load) to have it transported from AR to PA. The car was picked up late Thursday and arrived Sunday just after lunch. I would have preferred another fly-n-drive but flying was not in the cards due to a hernia.

After signing the paperwork with the driver the wife and I hopped in and took him for a driver around the block. :D After that, it was time for a wash. He was nasty after the 1100+ mile trip home.

Our new addition Ghost (GoT fans). :)
Ghost - PS Delivery.jpeg
Ghost - First Wash.jpeg
Ghost - DS 8252020.jpeg
Ghost - PS 8252020.jpeg
Ghost - PS Angle 8252020.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah! There are a few rock chips in the front bumper but that is to be expected. A couple of larger ones on the front bumper and one on the PS rear quarter that I am going to look into getting fixed. Drives great and the interior is like new as well. Very little wear on the bolster and steering wheel.

I am considering a set of driving gloves, only to protect the wheel. The leather on my 2008 was really showing it's age from DD use. Guess I will be "that guy" when others see me driving down the road. lol

Took a couple of pictures of the CravenSpeed Gemini cup holder mount with a ProClip USA phone mount attached via an adapter. I never came across any as I was searching.

Also, Emilia (my former NC) lives on! While it wasn't an exact fit (thank you Dremel), I was able to re-use the IL Motorsports brake fluid reservoir cap, powder coated magnesium blue. :D Now I know what my engine bay accent color will be. haha
Ghost - CravenSpeed Car Mount with ProClip USA Phone Mount.jpeg
Ghost - CravenSpeed Car Mount with ProClip USA Phone Mount1.jpeg
Ghost - Emilia Lives On.jpeg

Took a couple of pictures of the CravenSpeed Gemini cup holder mount with a ProClip USA phone mount attached via an adapter. I never came across any as I was searching.

Also, Emilia (my former NC) lives on! While it wasn't an exact fit (thank you Dremel), I was able to re-use the IL Motorsports brake fluid reservoir cap, powder coated magnesium blue. :D Now I know what my engine bay accent color will be. hahaView attachment 226771View attachment 226772View attachment 226773
Very nice! Thanks for including pics, might help out people thinking about the same setup. (y)

Very nice! Thanks for including pics, might help out people thinking about the same setup. (y)

Yeah, maybe they will help someone else? It is always nice to have that visual and then decide if you want to go for it or not.

Over the Labor Day weekend I gave him a wash and made some lighting changes. Installed the suite of CarbonMiata smoked LED units. They include the license plate lights, front and rear bumper markers and sequential side markers. I also installed their sequential rear turn signals. And in exciting news (to me anyway) the cool breeze scoop for the NC was a direct fit for the ND! :) Well, kinda sorta. The fit in the weather seal isn't as tight as it was on the NC but it didn't require any modification. I've been up to 55mph and it hasn't moved, let's see how it fares on the highway tomorrow.
Ghost - Labor Day 20203.jpeg
Ghost - Labor Day 2020 2 - Cool Breeze Sccop.jpeg
Ghost - Labor Day 20201.jpeg
Ghost - Labor Day 202018.jpeg
Ghost - CarbonMiata Smoked LED License Plate Light vs OEM Lit.jpeg

Last edited:
Replaced the dome and trunk lights with Morimoto XB LED 5500K bulbs. The turn signal bulbs arrived as well but still waiting on the resistors.

My box of goodies from JBR also showed up so I got those installed. I bought his engine bay sill plates and battery tie-down in blue. Initially I planned on having these and the CravenSpeed oil dipstick handle powder coated magnesium blue. After opening the box and seeing the blue in person, I decided to leave them as-is, it is a captivating color. This of course means I can't have a red oil dipstick handle so the CravenSpeed is being returned and I ordered a matching blue one from JBR. While I had the j-hooks for the battery tie-down removed, I painted the nuts satin black for a nice finishing touch.
Ghost - JBR Engine Bay Sill Plate vs. OEM.jpeg
Ghost - JBR Engine Bay Sill Plate.jpeg
Ghost - JBR Engine Bay Sill Plates and Battery Tie Down.jpeg
Ghost - JBR Battery Tie Down.jpeg

Copy and paste from the "what have you done" thread (thought I had posted it over here already).
  • Cravenspeed Gemini phone mount
  • Light-In-Sight
  • MX5 Things center console shelf
  • MX5 Things 3rd brake light flasher
  • MX5 Things airbag warning overlay replacement (ST silouhette)
  • Millionth Miata badge
  • ProBolt USA hardware - two M6 aluminum flanged dome nuts, one for the fuse box, the other for the windshield washer fluid reservoir. One M6 1mm x 20mm aluminum socket cap bolt and 23mm aluminum drilled washer for the windshield washer fluid reservoir.

Got the blue JBR oil dipstick handle installed as well as some other goodies. They include a CravenSpeed stubby, MX-5 Things wind blocker and stainless steel door latch covers. Got a Megan Racing FSTB as well but need to install the OEM cowl bracket first.

Pics of the oil dipstick handle installed.

Ghost - JBR ODH.jpeg
Ghost - JBR ODH1.jpeg

Since I went with the blue underhood bling by JBR, I thought I'd try out some blue hardware from Probolt-USA. Still on the fence about it and might switch back to the black.
Ghost - PBUSA Blue.jpeg
Ghost - PBUSA Blue1.jpeg
Ghost - PBUSA Blue2.jpeg
Ghost - PBUSA Blue3.jpeg

After dinner I finally got my Morimoto X-VF LED 5500K front turn signals installed. To prevent hyperflash I installed a pair of MX-5 Things 4 Ohm 50w resistors in the trunk. I wasn't crazy about drilling small holes in the trunk so I re-used the bases that came on the resistors with the Carbon Miata sequential rear turn signals. I applied some new 3M tape to secure them in the trunk. Worked out perfectly.
Ghost - LED Front Turn Signal.jpeg
Ghost - MX-5 Things 4 Ohm 50W Resistor.jpeg

Last edited:
Back