2021 CX-9 Changes

:
Texas
:
2019 MX-5 Miata
2021 CX-9
  • New infotainment system with 10-1/4" display
  • Carbon Edition (Polymetal Gray exterior paint, gloss black door mirrors and new designs for the gloss black front grille and 20-inch black metallic aluminum alloy wheels. The interior has red leather seats and black interior trimming on the dash, door panels and handle bezels)
  • New "exterior design" (front grille and bumper fascia?)
  • New seat quilting and piping
  • Wireless phone charger
  • High-definition 360° cameras

Thanks for the heads up @zrogers73!

Bigger infotainment screen, wireless charging, upgraded cameras.. sounds like they've been listening to some of the complaints. Hopefully individual TPMS readout is slated for the next MY.

I'm excited to see how the 9 looks in Polymetal Grey, but I wish it was also an available option on more than just one trim.

Wonder if some of these things (HD 360° cameras, New infotainment screen) could be compatible upgrades for the previous model years. It all looks fairly modular.

Can’t say I’m a huge fan of the new grille or the texture they added to the metal trim on the interior. Definitely feels like small, close in changes to “jazz things up” for the end of the generation.

Man, would have loved the new infotainment and 360 cameras, but also don't love the new grille (love the current CX-5 grille though), nor the seat stitching.

Man, would have loved the new infotainment and 360 cameras, but also don't love the new grille (love the current CX-5 grille though), nor the seat stitching.

Yup to almost all, seat stitching I could take or leave. CX5 grille...a much higher end look.

I’m hoping at bare minimum, the UI on the older models gets updated to the latest Mazda Connect OS.

But very jealous of the super wide screen format of these newer screens. So much better for maps. A lot better than 16:9.

1597775497763.jpeg

1597775560270.png

From the Canadian press release, it doesn't sound like we are getting the bigger screen. Only the 9" screen is mentioned. That would be a major bummer.

From the Canadian press release, it doesn't sound like we are getting the bigger screen. Only the 9" screen is mentioned. That would be a major bummer.

It's super petty, but if the Canadian edition doesn't get new infotainment and cameras + bigger screen, at least there's no regrets buying a 2020 just 2 months ago ;)

I’m hoping at bare minimum, the UI on the older models gets updated to the latest Mazda Connect OS.

I'll give you my personal guarantee that won't happen. Mazda sells new cars, not used ones so there's virtually no incentive for them to spend time changing the appearance of and/or adding functionality to an outgoing system. Plus, if they changed the UI, all those printed and downloaded manuals would be obsolete. I've never known of any manufacturer to change their UI's on existing hardware.

But very jealous of the super wide screen format of these newer screens. So much better for maps. A lot better than 16:9.

I feel differently than you about wide screens for navigation. To me, having a wide navigation screen is like having brighter headlights on the sides of your car than on the front. The only advantage I see to a wide map is if your destination is lateral and you've zoomed out to see an overview of your route with North-up instead of heading-up selected. When you're driving, your destination will be ahead of you (not to the sides) until you arrive.

Wide screens do work well for displaying multiple types of content at once - for example, a map on one side of the screen and audio information on the other.

I drive a lot of different press cars and I've developed a preference for 16:9 screens mounted vertically for automobiles.

Also, Mazda's newest system is no longer a touch screen. I'm okay with the rotary knob for Mazda's interface, but CarPlay works best with a touch screen.

Glad they finally addressed the grille because it was looking quite dated. However, it doesn't look like a big improvement from the press photo. Maybe it looks better in person.

Looking forward to pics of the Carbon Edition. Kinda annoying the Mazda was so stingy with the press release. Another example of their terrible marketing skills.

Kinda annoying the Mazda was so stingy with the press release. Another example of their terrible marketing skills.

...Or genius marketing skills. If the automakers dumped everything at once, it would take a long time to digest all the details, some would be overlooked, and interest would fade after the "big bang". By releasing details in waves, you keep people engaged and have several opportunities to draw attention to the model.

Glad they finally addressed the grille because it was looking quite dated. However, it doesn't look like a big improvement from the press photo. Maybe it looks better in person.

Looking forward to pics of the Carbon Edition. Kinda annoying the Mazda was so stingy with the press release. Another example of their terrible marketing skills.

They still have to sell the remaining 2020's on the lot. Don't want to get people too excited about the next one just yet....

...Or genius marketing skills. If the automakers dumped everything at once, it would take a long time to digest all the details, some would be overlooked, and interest would fade after the "big bang". By releasing details in waves, you keep people engaged and have several opportunities to draw attention to the model.

Fine thought, but still poor execution by Mazda. Yesterday's press release was completely off the radar to 90%+ of potential buyers. It was more of a "doink" in the middle of a forrest than a wave. Heck, the boldest change is the Carbon Edition and they failed to even include pictures of it.

The tried and true "waves" for marketing a new cars are: Tease, full reveal, and then price reveal. Only Mazda gives a text reveal with 2 bland pictures, lol.

Not to mention that yesterday's release follows their ambiguous "Anniversary Edition" news a while back that raised far more questions than answers.

Love Mazda, but I'm convinced the Mazda-NA marketing department consists of an 18 year old who spends most of their day checking out their friends on TikTok.

Heck, the boldest change is the Carbon Edition and they failed to even include pictures of it.

That might be because they already released details of the Carbon Edition last week.

Only Mazda gives a text reveal with 2 bland pictures, lol.

Honda does the same thing. :)

That might be because they already released details of the Carbon Edition last week.

Honda does the same thing. :)

Yes, an equally bad release last week. One poor picture that doesn't convey half of what is in the text. It's like they don't want to sell the car, haha.

The Mazdas247 Review of the 2021 Mazda CX-9

Pros
+ Small, year-over-year feature enhancements for a generation likely entering its final year.

Cons
- Suspect marketing strategies.

Back