Mazdas....Mazdas Everywhere

AuraNova

Reflection of Elegance
:
Florida
:
'20 Blue CX-30
I started noticing not too long before I bought my CX-30, but in my neighborhood people do sure love to drive Mazdas. Toyotas and Mercedes are popular as well. Parking in my local supermarket's lot earlier today, I saw at least 3 CX-5 parked there, a Miata, a CX-9, and I even passed by another CX-9 making a turn into a lane. Even in my initial development, the people across from me drive a Mazda6. There's a CX-5 a block over, and I know of another CX-5 in that same general area.

Mazda is certainly a great buy for many people and checks off on the list people's needs. I mean, not gonna lie, but every Mazda is one I would certainly drive. Okay...maybe not the Miata, because I have been in and also drove one and it was not comfortable for me driving or sitting in. But I have sat in and rode in other models and I always feel like it's a car I would totally drive. To this day, I would love to get my hands on a MX-3.

I guess I just wanted to share that. I should have bought a Mazda3 ages ago like I should have. But I am happy I finally got a CX-30 now, and I couldn't be more pleased with the purchase. 😁

That's great to hear!

I've also noticed more Mazdas on the road ever since buying my CX-9 a couple of years ago, but I'm not sure if it's just because I've been paying more attention to the brand.

I see a lot more Mazdas as well, but that's partly due to the fact that I now have one and keep my eyes open to the brand.

Mostly though it's 3's and CX-5's around here.

On the downside, the 6 is a poor seller, and it shows. Sedan sales are declining world wide I know, but I see a ton more Accords, Hyundai's and Camry's than Mazda's. In fact, my 6 is pretty much a unicorn around here. I can go a month without seeing another one, and that includes not just the current generation, but previous generations as well. It's unfortunate that Mazda puts so little effort and money and time in promoting the 6 when every review puts it at or near the top in its category.

In some way though, I'm glad I drive a car that almost no-one else has. Anyone that sees it, or goes for a ride in it, thinks it's a beautiful car.

More Mazdas, the better! 😁

I think I've reached the point where I subconsciously keep track of how many Mazdas I see everyday here in Japan. Not only how many, but what models as well.

Speaking of the Mazda6, I saw quite a few these past few days. I see a lot of CX-5s and CX-8s and quite a few of the new Mazda3 and it does seems like I'm seeing more and more of the CX-30. I believe I saw a CX-30 at least 5 times in one day once.

One thing I've been meaning to mention - while I have spotted a few CX-30s on the road, only recently did I realize a very subtle, minor change that only the CX-30 seems to have. Turn signal behaviour. On every other Mazda, the turn signals are a straight on/off. On the CX-30, however, the signals turn on, then fade/dim to off. It's very subtle, but IMO it makes the CX-30 appear just a tiny bit more premium to me.

I couldn't find a video demonstrating this behaviour, unfortunately.

Interesting observation, @sm1ke

I hadn't noticed that, now I'm going to be on the look out, looking forward to see this effect in action! 😁

There are a lot of CX-5, CX-9 and Mazda 3 around my area the last couple years as well as some miatas here in Pennsylvania. Not very many of the 6, at a time maybe 5 - 10 years ago, a ton of millennia and MS3 were around, today they seem rare.

There are a lot of CX-5, CX-9 and Mazda 3 around my area the last couple years as well as some miatas here in Pennsylvania. Not very many of the 6, at a time maybe 5 - 10 years ago, a ton of millennia and MS3 were around, today they seem rare.

I actually almost bought a 2000 Mazda Millenia S about 11 or 12 years ago. Opted for a 1999 Honda Accord V6 instead.

More Mazdas, the better! 😁

I think I've reached the point where I subconsciously keep track of how many Mazdas I see everyday here in Japan. Not only how many, but what models as well.

Speaking of the Mazda6, I saw quite a few these past few days. I see a lot of CX-5s and CX-8s and quite a few of the new Mazda3 and it does seems like I'm seeing more and more of the CX-30. I believe I saw a CX-30 at least 5 times in one day once.
What's a CX-8? None in Canada. Never seen one.

What's a CX-8? None in Canada. Never seen one.

It's Mazda Japan's flagship 7-seater (the CX-9 doesn't conform to Japan's roads and regulations). Also available in China, Oceania, and Southeast Asia.

We used to have a CX-8 specific subforum, but I guess traffic was low, so it was rolled into the All Other Mazdas subforum.

One thing I've been meaning to mention - while I have spotted a few CX-30s on the road, only recently did I realize a very subtle, minor change that only the CX-30 seems to have. Turn signal behaviour. On every other Mazda, the turn signals are a straight on/off. On the CX-30, however, the signals turn on, then fade/dim to off. It's very subtle, but IMO it makes the CX-30 appear just a tiny bit more premium to me.

I actually knew about this long before I bought the CX-30. In fact, it was a Doug Demuro video where I first saw it.

Go to 4:30 to see how he actually loves them.

It's Mazda Japan's flagship 7-seater (the CX-9 doesn't conform to Japan's roads and regulations). Also available in China, Oceania, and Southeast Asia.

We used to have a CX-8 specific subforum, but I guess traffic was low, so it was rolled into the All Other Mazdas subforum.
Interesting point about the CX-9 not conforming, I haven't heard that before...Do you have a reference? Toyota sells their gigantic (seems like it in Japan) Land Cruiser here, isn't that bigger than the CX-9? Is it a length issue? I assumed it was simply a market strategy related reason.

*Update: The Wikipedia page mentions the conforming point, I'm not sure that's accurate (given Toyota sells the full size Land Cruiser here and I've seen US market trucks etc on the roads).

Regarding the CX-8 Forum, yes despite some great threads in there, activity was low unfortunately so it has been merged into the All Other Mazdas Forum.

Go to 4:30 to see how he actually loves them.
The effect is all over the place on the CX-30 and consistent, nice! (y)

Last edited:
Interesting point about the CX-9 not conforming, I haven't heard that before...Do you have a reference? Toyota sells their gigantic (seems like it in Japan) Land Cruiser here, isn't that bigger than the CX-9? Is it a length issue? I assumed it was simply a market strategy related reason.

*Update: The Wikipedia page mentions the conforming point, I'm not sure that's accurate (given Toyota sells the full size Land Cruiser here and I've seen US market trucks etc on the roads).

I did a little more googling and could only find more of the same. I'll be the first to admit that Wikipedia isn't the most reliable source.

On the Mazda CX-9 Wikipedia page (yes I know, Wikipedia again lol), they have this blurb with a footnote stating that the info was pulled from the Mazda Japan website in 2017:

Despite being built in Japan, the CX-9 is not sold in Japan's domestic market, as it exceeds a major threshold in the Japanese dimension and engine displacement regulations which obligates a large annual road tax bill.[1] Instead, the smaller Mazda CX-8 is sold in the Japanese market.

It sounds like Mazda may only sell the CX-8 in order to avoid the road tax, but I'm not sure if that's a tax Mazda would have to pay to sell the CX-9, or if its a tax that might be charged to CX-9 buyers. Either way, the sources are either unclear or outdated, but it's the only explanation I could find. I would assume that those who bring in US market trucks would be subject to the road tax, whatever it may be.

Excellent find, @sm1ke (y)

Yeah that tax reference is most likely the one the owner has to pay, not Mazda. So it seems as if Mazda thinks the additional tax (that would be) charged for the CX-9 is enough reason not to sell the model in Japan. That said, the CX-8 appears to be quite popular here so I would imagine the CX-9 would be as well...I guess they have their reasons. Toyota doesn't seem to have a problem selling quite large vehicles in Japan.

Regarding the tax, I believe the rate depends on engine displacement and vehicle weight. One is every year and the other is every two years (may differ depending on vehicle age etc). I paid those taxes mentioned above when I had my Cosmo.

I feel I have confirmation bias with the CX-9 and CRVs since I own.

I know worldwide, Mazda is small potatoes. I've never looked into Canadian numbers, but I suspect that it is reflected here. Will see if I can find once the boy stops grabbing this laptop.

For Canada, first half 2020 (not a good year to use due to covid, but was first reference I found)

1. Ford 101 410
2. Toyota 68 376
3. Honda 53 056
4. Chevy 50 062
5. Hyundai 43 640
6. Ram 38 261 (not sure if in USA they consider RAM a brand, apparently we do)
7. GMC 36 503
8. Nissan 34 531
9. Kia 28 843
10. Mazda 22 581

From driving.ca, reputable source.

At first I thought there was an error as no VW, but another source quoted VW Q2 sales as 9796 so perhaps they were 11th for 2020 so far and just not listed.

Drastically diff for us compared to worldwide, as VW is top or pretty much equal to Toyota I believe.

But yes, looking at these numbers, we may think we're seeing Mazdas everywhere...Not necessarily true. Locally things obviously can be different. I am curious about USA numbers, on a quick search couldn't quite find the right chart.

I thought Canadians loved Mazdas and that they sold well there...According to those numbers, it doesn't appear to be the case. Although, it's only the first half of 2020. I wonder how well they've sold historically in Canada.

I thought Canadians loved Mazdas and that they sold well there...According to those numbers, it doesn't appear to be the case. Although, it's only the first half of 2020. I wonder how well they've sold historically in Canada.

Well, in a relative sense, we do. For every Mazda, we buy 3 Toyotas. About a third of Toyota's sales.

Mazda does not globally sell a third of Toyota sales in a year...would be huuuuuuge. Not that it's their goal to be huge.

I did see one search result that shows Mazda at around 1.6m sold 2018. Isn't Toyota about 11m globally? Mazda far less than a third worldwide.

Caveat...Haven't looked too deeply into these global numbers.

Consider, too, that relative accessibility has an affect. Recent inventory shopping across five SE states in search of the model/trim/color we wanted revealed Mazda dealers only in major metropolitan areas.

If you live in a small town, 100+ miles from the nearest Mazda dealer (and, importantly, their service dept) you've got to really, really want one to choose it over the Ford or Chevy or even Toyota/Honda more likely to have a dealership close to you.

I guess this is sort of a Catch-22. Mazda has fewer dealerships than "big name brands" because they sell fewer cars. Consequently though, they sell fewer cars because they have fewer dealerships.

Example by comparison in the extreme: I happen to live in a suburban area with dealerships for Ferrari, Maserati, and Bentley within three miles of home. I see examples of these arguably scarce marques on the road quite often. Rarely see them even in other parts the metro area, and almost never when traveling outside the city. Mazdas are a-dime-dozen around here, as are BMW's, Porsches, Jags, and Teslas that all pop up about as often in more remote places as the Ferraris, Maseratis, and Bentleys do close to home.

Last edited:
I often wonder about the dealer proximity effect, living in a large suburb and only being 30 min to Toronto, not something I ever think about, with any product. BUT would surely affect my decision if it was the case of a 100+ miles.

And not for nothing, but is this suburb Orange County? Westchester? (sorry everyone else, American TV mostly exposes us to suburbs of LA or NYC)

Very nice local dealerships. I'd enjoy such local sightseeing! I live in a pretty high income suburb of Toronto (in the affordable area of course) but I'm pretty sure for Ferrari, Maserati and Bentley we'd need to go into the city. There is only one Toronto suburb I can think of that MAY have those brands.

Back