2020 CX-5 mysterious battery draw

My thanks for posting the TSB as well. My battery has failed twice. Once in the first week of ownership and a second time 2 months later in late April just before this TSB was issued. Dealer found nothing at that time but this TSB will certainly help. Hopefully Mazda has or will come up with a permanent solution.

Here you go...

The TSB simply refers dealers to call Mazda if a 2020 CX-5 or 2019-2020 CX-9 with the power liftgate won't start due to a low battery.

TSB SA-049/20 has been updated with production dates and VIN ranges.

The following 2020 CX-5s equipped with a power liftgate are potentially affected:

VINs JM3KFxxxxxx700008-820235 produced from September 13, 2019 through March 18, 2020.

Mazda began installing the updated part after March 18, 2020. All replacements ordered will be the "new" part. The "new" part has the same part number, but will have a white paint dot.

The parasitic draw is intermittent and may not occur for months or it may occur within days. If and when it happens, there will be no warning - you'll just have a dead battery.

SA-049-20.jpg

1596199283143.png

Since this is not a recall will the dealer preemptively replace this part if we haven't had the issue yet? My VIN falls in that range but I haven't had any battery issues (knock on wood)

Since this is not a recall will the dealer preemptively replace this part if we haven't had the issue yet? My VIN falls in that range but I haven't had any battery issues (knock on wood)

No - a dealer won't replace this under warranty if you've never experienced the problem.

The following 2020 CX-5s equipped with a power liftgate are potentially affected:

VINs JM3KFxxxxxx700008-820235 produced from September 13, 2019 through March 18, 2020

Thank you for this. Looks like mine was made in March just before this part was upgraded, sooo ... yay. Something nice to look forward to. Guess now I have to buy an emergency jumpstarter for my brand new car. Bloody Hell.

Thank you for this. Looks like mine was made in March just before this part was upgraded, sooo ... yay. Something nice to look forward to. Guess now I have to buy an emergency jumpstarter for my brand new car. Bloody Hell.
While you’re at it also consider a 3 stage smart battery charger that has sensors to switch from the bulk charge mode to absorption and the floating modes as the battery is replenished. Car alternators are designed to maintain batteries, not recharge a dead battery. A smart battery charger prevents overcharging which can damage the battery. Typical cost is under $100. These are good things to have on hand regardless of the age of your car.

Got the same issue on a three-week old brand-new 2020 CX-5 GT AWD with 640miles. Got the jump start from the towing folks who towed the car to the dealer. The dealer performed a battery test and draw test. Both passed (battery was found to be low, so they trickle charged it).
The dealer said they weren't aware of the faulty liftgate control module (KBG6626H0C) and has never happened to any of the cars sold by them.
I don't want to rule out the possible reason being the battery lost most of its charge in the showroom being idle for months. If it happens again, I'll push them to replace the battery and/or lift gate control model.

That makes sense, it just sucks that if it does happen it could possibly be when you are running late or need to be somewhere and coming out to an unexpected dead battery can be a huge pain in the ass.
Or worse, when your Power Liftgate Control Module KBG6-62-6H0C would start the parasitic draw after 3 years or 36,000 miles without the new car warranty.

Just bought one of these. Might it help?

Attachments

• 783BABF6-D78E-4533-ADB6-E5B29B11230B.jpeg
    783BABF6-D78E-4533-ADB6-E5B29B11230B.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 232
I just leased a brand new Mazda CX 5 which has less than 200 miles. My battrey was totally dead just 1 day after driving the car, fortunately it was parked at home and I had to get emergency assistance to come jumpstart the car.

This thread has been super helpful, thanks to all the posters for explaining what the cause is -- my VIN does fall under the range published.

My car dealer, Sansone Mazda in NJ seems clueless and was initially saying only CX9s have this issue -- until I could share the official notice with him. Dealing with a sales manager so hopeful the service department is more helpful once they open on Monday.

Shame on Mazda for not educating their dealership about this -- extremely frustrating to deal with this on a new car.

Just bought one of these. Might it help?
It may get the job done on a 4 cylinder engine. Size matters when it comes to jump starters. The 400 noted on the Eveready packaging is probably peak amps which purely a marketing ploy. Peak amps is the maximum amount of power a jump starter can discharge for a very short period of time, as in milliseconds. It takes longer than that to start a car engine. What counts is cranking amps (CA) which is the amount of power a battery can discharge and sustain for at least 30 seconds in normal temperature. Check the fine print but that Eveready’s cranking amps are probably 50% of its peak amps or 200 CA. That might be enough but 300 CA would be better. The jump starter I have is rated at 425 CA. Check the fine print to learn the CA rating. And exchange it for a larger one if you so choose.

I agree. I own the DBPower 500A jump starter. Thankfully, I've never had to use it on my CX5, but it started my neighbor's Ford F150 with no problem at all.

just came back from my dealer, the people are very nice, but have no clue about the problem. They had another CX5 sits in their service area with the same problem, but they are not able to find anything, therefore they are not able to do anything... :-(

Last edited:
just came back from my dealer, the people are very nice, but have no clue about the problem. They had another CX5 sits in their service area with the same problem, but they are not able to find anything, therefore they are not able to do anything... :-(

Coordinate: Indianapolis.
If anyone here is also from Indianapolis, we may team up to discuss the problem together.
Why can you just show Service Alert SA-049/20 posted in post #23 above by zroger73 to your Mazda dealer, and have them to get Power Liftgate Control Module KBG6-62-6H0 and even the battery replaced?

Why can you just show Service Alert SA-049/20 posted in post #23 above by zroger73 to your Mazda dealer, and have them to get Power Liftgate Control Module KBG6-62-6H0 and even the battery replaced?

I did, that service alert says mazda is “working on a solution”, so my dealer isnt convinced the powerlift gate module is the root cause of the issue :(
I’m communicating with mazda customer service.

I did, that service alert says mazda is “working on a solution”, so my dealer isnt convinced the powerlift gate module is the root cause of the issue :(
I’m communicating with mazda customer service.
Well that’s pretty uncooperative and unhelpful if you are experiencing the parasitic draw / dead battery problem. I’m the original poster who did have this problem in late April / early May for a 2020 CX5 Signature and my dealer after not being able to figure it out themselves did call the Mazda hotline who advised them that the solution was to replace the rear lift gate control module (part # KBG6626H0C/1). That solved the problem. It’s been 3 months since that was done and we’ve had no dead battery problems. Keep on your dealer and don’t be shy about politely elevating it.

I did, that service alert says Mazda is “working on a solution”, so my dealer isn't convinced the powerlift gate module is the root cause of the issue :(
I’m communicating with Mazda customer service.
The dealer first admits that they don't have a clue, and then when you present them with a probable cause, and that Mazda has released a TSB pointing to the likely culprit, they still don't take action?
What a joke.
I'd escalate this pronto. Unacceptable behaviour on their part.

Well that’s pretty uncooperative and unhelpful if you are experiencing the parasitic draw / dead battery problem. I’m the original poster who did have this problem in late April / early May for a 2020 CX5 Signature and my dealer after not being able to figure it out themselves did call the Mazda hotline who advised them that the solution was to replace the rear lift gate control module (part # KBG6626H0C/1). That solved the problem. It’s been 3 months since that was done and we’ve had no dead battery problems. Keep on your dealer and don’t be shy about politely elevating it.

The staff at my dealer are friendly, I guess they just don't know what to do, they had another CX5 there with the same problem and said they are investigating....

Thanks for the module number, I will be talking to them again tomorrow.

Back