Guide 2nd Generation CX-9: Dashcam installation

Super clean. Love this. How much was the invisicord? Did you purchase from K3vonn? Amazon? or Direct? Can you take a picture of your invisicord plugged into the mirror? Looks solid.

The invisicord direct with fuse, micro pins and mini usb was about $55 CAD shipped to Vancouver. I'm not sure it needed the fuse, but didn't want to have to wait. Shipping took 3 weeks though. You can actually still see it in the above picture plugged into the back of the mirror, and then running into the electronics cover. It then exits at the top, runs into the headliner and then straight down to the A119 V3.

The one thing I just noticed is that the placement is a bit too close to the dotted shading on the window. You can see the video on the right side has a bit of occlusion, and then you can see how I mounted it from the front.

IMG_8741.JPG

IMG_2348.jpg

Super clean. Love this. How much was the invisicord? Did you purchase from K3vonn? Amazon? or Direct? Can you take a picture of your invisicord plugged into the mirror? Looks solid.

Also had this pic from during the install. The invisicord sticks out a little from the back, but you don't notice it at all when getting in/out and driving. I do wish they didn't use yellow and red though for the wiring. Maybe I should sharpie it to darken it.

Attachments

• IMG_6228.JPG
    IMG_6228.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 378
Also had this pic from during the install. The invisicord sticks out a little from the back, but you don't notice it at all when getting in/out and driving. I do wish they didn't use yellow and red though for the wiring. Maybe I should sharpie it to darken it.

Yeah, the yellow and red do catch the eye a bit on mine too. I'm going to try wrapping them in black electrical tape so it looks a little more OEM.

We mounted our dashcams in similar spots, lol. The dot matrix is also visible in my playback, but you can see a lot more of it. Doesn't bother me enough to move it though.

I ended up buying an invisicord.
http://invisicord.com/osc2/catalog/...id=58&osCsid=911d3ba422bb7115912cd973f6b93dcc
Optioned it with mini USB connector for my dashcam, micro connector which fit perfectly into the powered harness, and added a fuse
Disconnected the power harness going to my homelink autodimming mirror. Looking at the harness from behind, there are 10 sockets. Only the bottom 5 do anything. Green (bottom left) is always on. Middle is ground, and so is the one just to the right of it. Blue (bottom right) is switched (12V on but only with ignition on). I plugged invisicord black micro connector into the middle grounded socket, then the yellow positive lead into the same socket as blue. This way, dashcam turns on with ignition, off when car is off. Avoids having to tuck wires into trim and frees up 12V power for other things.

I am purchasing the invisicord and I wanted to know if the Fuse is necessary or not?

thanks

have you had troubles putting up the sun shade with the dash cam up or do you take the dash cam off the base?

Also I took my home link wire to see the wiring - the black is ground and which wire do I tap for just when engine starts?

View attachment 226196

The shade sits over it fine. I don’t remove the camera (or haven’t needed to since installation).

Attachments

• 5885B8D6-FB2A-47D3-AE46-BBF5828611DA.jpeg
    5885B8D6-FB2A-47D3-AE46-BBF5828611DA.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 316
I have to give another shout-out to Cary at invisicord.com. My original invisicord micro-USB became loose in my dashcam and I sent the cord back to him. He shipped me a new cord, free of charge (under warranty), which works great. Well worth the investment.

Hi folks. I got an invisicord (fused) to go with my Garmin 56 Dashcam. My Cx-5 is 2017 Touring and not sure which is the cable for running car only? Black for ground, and Pink/Purple? Just like Twilos image.
Because that is what works to turn camera on for running only. And the Invisicord bent! I mean, for the black to ground, inserted fine. But for the purple it bent. And I made sure the flat side was down. Damn eyes going too. Got it working but I don't like the hot (yellow shrink/red) to the purple has exposed metal pin.

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread [should I have started a new one & linked to this one?]
Was thinking [so happening very sloooowly ;)] of installing a dash cam [probably https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)] into a 2021 CX-5 SIG [has frameless rear view mirror] & was wondering if anyone has had any issues with the https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) [still available at $29] mentioned above [or other comments/suggestions in this area] e.g. reliability (think it does 12V to 5V conversion)
I did already open the panel behind the mirror [partly to ensure I had the courage to use enough force!] & it does appear slightly tight for space [I'm not 100% sure which connector to disconnect to insert the Dongar] but do-able
TIA

Hi @sugob, no worries about posting in this thread. Think of our forum as an always growing resource - as long as the post is relevant to the topic, it doesn't matter how old the original thread is (y)

As to the other questions, unfortunately I don't have any answers. The creator of the Dongar adapter listed above was/is a member of this site when he was just getting started, but I don't know if he's still around. I'd suggest contacting him directly through Amazon. From what I recall, he made adapters for both the non-frameless Homelink and the frameless mirrors for the CX-9, and he was able to advise which connectors to use, and I believe he also offered instructions on installation.

Thanks @sm1ke
I saw the comments of Dongar creater @K3vonn when he mentioned the changed frameless connector thread comment #69 by Dongar/K3vonn [Aug 2019]. Did look at amazon reviews/questions [for this and other similar dongar products] - they generally seem good [just came back into stock in the last few days on amazon (was on www.dongar.tech)].
As this adaptor has been available for at least 2 years, was interested in longer term findings of others - reliability/safety [mainly due to having a transformer of sorts] being high on the list

looking at options for a clean dash cam install - anyone find a single wireless rear facing camera option that works well with the CX9?

Anyone have any issues putting the double sided tape on the part of the windshield that has the dots? Previously I stuck it right below but now I want to move it and better place the tape would go over the black circles.

Anyone have any issues putting the double sided tape on the part of the windshield that has the dots? Previously I stuck it right below but now I want to move it and better place the tape would go over the black circles.
The trick I use is use 3m tape and completely clean the glass with alcohol. When you install it I find that if you use a heat gun or hair drier to gently warm the glass surface when you apply the 3m tape it will adhere better than if the glass is cold.

Back