2020 CX-5 GT AWD + PP price check

Hi everyone,

What should be the right OTD price for the 2020 CX-5 GT AWD + PP? How much did you pay for yours (WA residents please help!)? Looking to negotiate the best viable deal.

The quotes I have received without any negotiations are over 36K. I have seen that people have purchased this model for around 32K or even a bit less. Given that 2021 model is around the corner, I plan to offer 30K OTD and stick with it.

The used car prices are too high right now. I have tried both WA and OR. Dealerships are trying to sell 2017s with similar configuration and 30K miles at 25K (26K for CPO) LIST PRICE (so will come up to 28K OTD - ridiculous and somehow still making sales!). So I am plan to explore the new cars as well.

The quotes I have received without any negotiations are over 36K. I have seen that people have purchased this model for around 32K or even a bit less. Given that 2021 model is around the corner, I plan to offer 30K OTD and stick with it.

We should really be talking before TTL, not OTD.

The MSRP of a GT AWD with PP is $34,115 (with no color premium). So lets say a good deal at 10% off, brings the price down to almost $31,000. Unless you live in a state with no sales I'd say that that OTD of $32,000 is not going to happen.

Now if you could get 12% off MSRP you're at $30,000, AND if sales tax is less than 6% then you can get close to OTD for $32,000 if your license and other fees are less than $200

Now, to get to your "stick with it price" of $30,000 OTD you'd have to be at least at $28,000 before TTL (assuming less than 6% tax) which is nearly 18% off MSRP, which I'll go out on a limb and say is in fantasy land.

All this is assuming my MSRP build was right. Also, I'm open to be wrong about anything I've stated and I don't get butt hurt when others disagree with me or call me out.

I am yet to discuss/visit dealerships to talk about the new ones so can't say for sure how much they will come down, but I think 32K OTD is possible in WA. The sales tax here is 10%. Mazda is doing some $1500 discount right now and the dealers are putting another $1200 on some new cars. That, along with a hope that they will discount further since 2020 is nearing its MY made me say 30K.

TBH, I really do not want to spend 30K on a car right now. My plan was to pay 25K including everything on a 2017 - 2019 GT AWD PP under 40K miles and I have read posts where people have got them. But the used car prices are insane right now:

Well, at 10% tax, with no other fees whatsoever, your sale price would need to be $29,000, which is 15% under invoice, so I can't say that that's impossible. OTOH, if your target price is $25K complete, then accounting for tax only is a base sales price of $22,700, so yes, looks like a 2017 is in your future

Yes, we should be discussing the price before TTL all the time, not OTD price.

The MSRP of a GT AWD with PP is $34,115 (with no color premium). So lets say a good deal at 10% off, brings the price down to almost $31,000. Unless you live in a state with no sales I'd say that that OTD of $32,000 is not going to happen.
Agreed, especially at this time when the inventory seems to be low for new vehicles due to the C-19 pandemic.

Now if you could get 12% off MSRP you're at $30,000, AND if sales tax is less than 6% then you can get close to OTD for $32,000 if your license and other fees are less than $200
Yes.

Now, to get to your "stick with it price" of $30,000 OTD you'd have to be at least at $28,000 before TTL (assuming less than 6% tax) which is nearly 18% off MSRP, which I'll go out on a limb and say is in fantasy land.
Yes, 18% off MSRP is almost impossible for a new Mazda CX-5 unless there’s a huge incentive directly by Mazda.

All this is assuming my MSRP build was right. Also, I'm open to be wrong about anything I've stated and I don't get butt hurt when others disagree with me or call me out.
No worries. You’re giving your opinion for the best car purchasing price, and trying to save money for others. Many here will appreciate you by doing this!

So the OP is asking our opinions but his posts are going in two different directions. He says he's looking to spend a total of $25,000 out the door, but he also mentioned he's looking to consider new cars. Not sure which direction to send our advice

@hal2 Thanks for your inputs so far, greatly appreciate them! My original decision to buy a used car was to save $10K. Currently, it looks like the difference between used and new is less than 5K. So, I am wondering if it could be worth considering to buy new. I did see a little hope yesterday where the prices for used car dropped slightly, so maybe I could be a little more patient and get a used one under $25K (still will be saving around $7K..sigh)

@hal2 Thanks for your inputs so far, greatly appreciate them! My original decision to buy a used car was to save $10K. Currently, it looks like the difference between used and new is less than 5K. So, I am wondering if it could be worth considering to buy new. I did see a little hope yesterday where the prices for used car dropped slightly, so maybe I could be a little more patient and get a used one under $25K (still will be saving around $7K..sigh)

If the difference is 30,000 more miles to save $7,000 I vote buy new.

Yes, we should be talking before TTL not OTD. I'm in the same WA st as OP, but here in So WA, sales tax rate is 8.4%, also charges $150 doc fee + state registration fee.

Does your MSRP includes $1,100 Destination Charge, should be included in MSRP, IMO.

Do you know MSRP for 2020 GTR?
Looks like it's around $36,300 without any dealer installed option, some dealers in this WA/OR area advertise their sales price at MSRP - $1,500 Mazda cash. What should I aim for? I'd be happy if I could get $32,000 new or $30,000 for low mile certified.

Yes, we should be talking before TTL not OTD. I'm in the same WA st as OP, but here in So WA, sales tax rate is 8.4%, also charges $150 doc fee + state registration fee.

Keep in mind that is only the state sales tax rate. Cities can add on top of that. Most dealerships in Seattle area are 10+% total sale tax rate.

I think OP would be very lucky to find a GTR around Seattle proper for under $33,000. I was looking for a Signature and best deal I found was 7.7% off MSRP with no doc fee. I ended up passing since it was still more than I wanted to pay for a '20.

Here's my pricing for 2020 GT in the Seattle area back in early February.

MSRP: $32,655
Price: $30,177
DE: -$1,000
Doc fee: $150
Lic fee: $560
Taxes: $3,063.59

Total OTD: $32,950.59

Keep in mind that is only the state sales tax rate. Cities can add on top of that. Most dealerships in Seattle area are 10+% total sale tax rate.

WA state sales rate is 6.5%, cities and counties add their own on top of that, bringing Vancouver area to 8.4%. WA law caps doc fee at $150, almost all dealers charge $150 if not all, just because they can.

doc fee 150 is dirt cheap :)
here in phx there are no regulations, so the usual doc fee goes to 500-600 usd.
plus the stupid useless addons like "desert protection", etc.

Not sure about WA but here in AZ even if you buy the car out of state with no tax , you gotta pay the tax locally when you bring the car in.

Back on the topic, 9-10% off msrp is a good deal that you have to aim for but may need to shop around.
Then Mazda incentives whatever they have on top of the discounted price.
Thats your total before taxes, docs and reg.

WA state sales rate is 6.5%, cities and counties add their own on top of that, bringing Vancouver area to 8.4%. WA law caps doc fee at $150, almost all dealers charge $150 if not all, just because they can.
Thank you for correcting. I was so used to high sales tax around here that I just assumed the 8.4% was the base :)

doc fee 150 is dirt cheap :)
here in phx there are no regulations, so the usual doc fee goes to 500-600 usd.
plus the stupid useless addons like "desert protection", etc.

Not sure about WA but here in AZ even if you buy the car out of state with no tax , you gotta pay the tax locally when you bring the car in.

Back on the topic, 9-10% off msrp is a good deal that you have to aim for but may need to shop around.
Then Mazda incentives whatever they have on top of the discounted price.
Thats your total before taxes, docs and reg.
On doc fees, I've also had good luck with Seattle area dealers offering to drop it in order to make the sale.

Same here in WA. Looking at AZ, for example, the sales tax is lower than WA. So when registering the vehicle in WA we'd have to pay the difference between what was paid in AZ vs what WA levies in sales tax.

Back