What did you pay for your CX-5?

Although it seems you’ve only got 4.3% off from MSRP, but I enjoyed reading your story! Since you seem to keep your car for as long as you can like me, please pay attention to any related TSBs or recalls on cylinder deactivation with your 2.5L.

*4.262233% .... but who’s counting? 😬
Have there been TSBs or recalls yet?

*4.262233% .... but who’s counting? 😬
Have there been TSBs or recalls yet?
There’s a safety recall on cylinder deactivation for 2018 and 2019 MYs due to possible falling rocker arms.

Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and 6 models

Actually, my concern on CD is its long-term reliability based on its flawed design theory and poor history record of this application. Just Google it and you’ll see all kind of stories on CD from many other different car manufactures.

This thread was great while I was researching prices, thanks everyone who contributed. I’ll add mine:

St. Louis Area
2020 CX-5 Touring AWD with PP in Black
MSRP $30,705
True car listed as $28,439 (7.3%)
Asked for $26,100. After a few days of polite back and forth over email/text, we agreed on $26,500 (13.7%) in cash + TTL, delivered to my home

Yeah, True Car is a good starting point, but it's just that, a starting point. Here's what I found - you get a quote back for $28,000 (or whatever)which seems great, then they add the Tint, door guards, security etching, paint shield, etc, for a final price of $29,000. Well, throw that number out the window and tell them you'll take the car at the $28,000 (or whatever) without those BS extras.

That's what happened with my Signature. - they texted back $32.495 but then added another $2,700 of near useless/overpriced garbage (one even had VIP Ding Protection). I emailed 3 dealers and one was actually able to give me the $32,495. It was such a smokin' deal I even told him I'll pay his $599 Doc fee - YIKES

In the example shown, the dealer has that fake $4,379 dealer discount, but then add back $2,700 in other stuff. Like I said, I found one dealer who accepted that "your offer" price without those add-ons
Screenshot_20200427-203543.jpg

True car listed as $28,439 (7.3%)
Asked for $26,100. After a few days of polite back and forth over email/text, we agreed on $26,500 (13.7%) in cash + TTL, delivered to my home

Good job getting from $28,439 to $26,500. A lot of people here say "I was happy with his offer and I didn't want "the hassle" of negotiating. Well, I don't know if they're nuts or if I am, but I'll work for 3 days to make $2,000. If they don't feel that 3 days of negotiating is worth a weeks salary I'm not going to try to convince them other wise. Well, yes I will.

Hey group. New here. I'm looking to purchase 2020 CX5 GS AWD with comfort pkg in snowflake white up in Canada. I see a lot of the posts are related to state side. But I'm curious what other Canadians are seeing for prices as my dealers up in Manitoba region are all pinching their wallets tight.

They are basically going MSRP from the build price including (PDI, a/c, tire tax) $36,718.75 CAD. There is a mazda canada promo discount of $1000 then the dealers on avg are just knocking off $750 as their discount, oh then some are adding block heater and wheel locks, others dont charge that but add a admin fee which is basicall the same for additional $400.

One dealer told me they only make $690 on the car at the price they quoted me which i call BS (not keeping the lights on and paying owners, staff etc at those slim margins). Another dealer told me yesterday they stroked a cheque for $34,318 to put the car on their lot. If they are doing real B2B transactions then that cheque included 12% sales tax but again if Mazda Canada owns the vehicle and it was just transferred at balance sheet market value then that number is not real owning cost. And i will assume there is dealer rebates they get on the backside of the sale to recoup the real profit.

So my question is, what are people in Canada seeing for pricing as there seem to too many complacent buyers out here just paying sticker.

Hello.... I'm still shopping for my first Mazda. Since I'm in no hurry, I don't stay on top of inventory and I'm down to just a few options with CX-5 GT Reserve or Signature.

The dealer selling 2019 signature (used as a loaner) will only budge a few hundred off of $34,500, with 4K miles. The dealer had 3 loaners and is now down to 1. They don't feel negotiation is needed.

There's a new 2019 GT Reserve with parchment leather. I love the look but maybe crazy to get white leather! The MSRP is $35,975 and the lowest they will go is $32,500.

I welcome any advice.

Last edited:
Tag, where are you located? That's a tough call. Yes, my dealers are selling listing 2019 Sig's in the $33's

Hello....

There's a new 2019 GT Reserve with parchment leather. I love the look but maybe crazy to get white leather! The MSRP is $35,975 and the lowest they will go is $32,500.

I welcome any advice.
I’d get this one. Decent price for a new vehicle. As far as the parchment interior goes, I’d not worry about it unless you wear new jeans lots. (Blue dye rubs off)

I have 4 grandsons 14-7 yo who I cart all over creation and my interior is still pristine at 50k miles. The brown on the Sig is too dark for my taste.

Currently CX5 shopping and looking at FWD CX5 GT with PP, $33,235 MSRP, lowest dealer in Florida so far is $29,629 cash or my own financing, OR $30,629 if I take their 0% for 63 months. I can do the math on the financing, but looking at other posts this seems ok at best. I don’t need a car right now since working at home, so might just wait for November time frame see if anyone wants to deal on a leftover 2020.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Tag, where are you located? That's a tough call. Yes, my dealers are selling listing 2019 Sig's in the $33's

I’m in upstate NY. I’m told we have a competitive car market, but I’m not seeing dealers move too much on price (at least for what I want).

Wow, even Craigslist new york only had a couple of 2019 Touring's or a GT with AWD and 30k miles. That 2019 GTR you mentioned might be your best bet if you can live without the few extra goodies on a Sig. - I really wanted parking sensors and 360 camera so the choice was easy.

If you do go with that one, try this - as politely and casually as you can, call (actually I like text or email as it takes the emotion and pressure off) and say "I'm ready to come in tomorrow morning for that GTR at $32,000. If you can do that, great. If not, I respect your position but will have to think about it for the rest of the week"

Don't know if you've already factored in his DOC fee and if that's in his $32,500 price. Not saying good or bad, but just know ahead of time whether his price included that. Either way you're at about 10% off MSRP, so at minimum you know you're getting a not bad deal on a new 2019

Last edited:
Good evening everyone,

I am going to go look at an AWD 2017 Touring with the i Active sense package tomorrow. The dealer says they have no dealer fees and when I asked for the out the door price they said the only things that would be added would be the DMW fees & sales tax, no dealer fees at all. It is listed at 21k with 29k miles, I am wondering if I should try to get them to come down to 20k or that not reasonable? Looking at similar cars in my area (NY) it is already priced well, especially since they don't have those 2k in dealer fees. Thank you all in advance, I am looking forward to upgrading from my HR-V and give my NB Miata a Mazda companion.

There's almost always room from a 'listed' price unless it's like an Autonation no haggle place. That said, I'd send him an email/text (it takes the emotion and negotiating out of it) and say politely "I'm ready to come in tomorrow and buy it at $20,000. If you can do that, great. If not, I understand but will have to give it some more thought for a couple days". Dealers know that once you're gone you may find something else not come back, so they really want top get you in there now. My guess is that if you say it exactly as I wrote that they'll accept your offer or come back with a counter. Once again, I really like text/email as it doesn't give them a chance to say "well, what if I can......", rather, they often come back with their best and final.

Thank you, my fear is that someone will come in while I wait for the counter offer. I have to get in the mindset that there will be others if this one is gone.

If you do go with that one, try this - as politely and casually as you can, call (actually I like text or email as it takes the emotion and pressure off) and say "I'm ready to come in tomorrow morning for that GTR at $32,000. If you can do that, great. If not, I respect your position but will have to think about it for the rest of the week"

Don't know if you've already factored in his DOC fee and if that's in his $32,500 price. Not saying good or bad, but just know ahead of time whether his price included that. Either way, you're at about 10% off MSRP, so at minimum you know you're getting a not bad deal on a new 2019

I'm using the Hal playbook with the cars I'm pursuing: "if you can sell me the car for $30,000, I'll be in this afternoon". The counter to my offer is $32,500. I'll wait until I hear back before asking about DOC/added fees. Hey, I wonder if salespeople subscribe to this forum...Wouldn't that be funny?

The Signature sales guy isn't returning my calls or responding to my emails. So, I'll walk away. Given the limited inventory in upstate NY, perhaps salespeople can hold out for a better offer?

I'm also looking at a used 2019 GTR 14K miles about 4 hrs away. The price was just lowered to $29K. After emailing, "I'll make it happen today if you can sell it for.....", the salesperson came back with the price is firm. Hmmm...DOC fees $386, non-tax fees $117. I can see if that "firm" price can include delivery.

I purchased a 2017 CX-5 Touring withthe i-activesense package yesterday for $20,500 with 28k miles. The list price was 21K and me being the horrible negotiator that I am I said if you can do $20,500 I'll buy it today. The manager did not hesitate and replied Done" before I could finish the sentence. As soon as he said that I instantly wished I would've said less. I still feel like I got a good deal based on my research it was a former lease vehicle so it has had all of its maintenance done up to date. Compared to my HRV this thing really has some zip to it.

Your salesman's "done" even before you could finish your offer made you feel you should have asked for more. But it doesn't look too bad. Do you mind the name of dealership?

Here in the central NC area there's been a recent influx of Signatures added to dealer inventory. Wondering if other areas are seeing a similar expansion. Bodes well for some more budging on discounts compared to the paltry amounts shared on this thread.

Strange . . . many Portland, OR & Vancouver area Mazda dealers have ZERO signatures, some have only one or two. Not very many certified upper trim levels as well.

Back