CX-5 Android Auto / Apple CarPlay

I purchased a 2020 CX-5 a month ago (my first Mazda, I am a Honda girl), today I took it in and inquired why it would not work with my phone. I was told that Mazda and Google Pixel phones are NOT compatible! The dealer knew I had a Google phone - has anyone else had this problem and is there any work around? I am really upset.

@ariel5017 - Im not sure what exact problem you are having..

a quick few quick searches found..

and this gem:

looks like you might not be alone

the official documentation from Android Auto is the Mazda CX-5 2019 and forward IS supported

though the Mazda side is less than assuring

some Mazda related reading:

I purchased a 2020 CX-5 a month ago (my first Mazda, I am a Honda girl), today I took it in and inquired why it would not work with my phone. I was told that Mazda and Google Pixel phones are NOT compatible! The dealer knew I had a Google phone - has anyone else had this problem and is there any work around? I am really upset.

Which Pixel phone do you have?
I have connected with our Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 3a XL, and the Pixel 4 XL -- all work with Android Auto.

Hmm...not sure this is true. I have a pixel 2XL which works flawlessly. My wife has a Pixel 3a which does too. Also to note that from a software point of view my pixel is no different from a pixel 4, aside from a few camera things, considering I am running the latest beta for Android 11. So technically even if you own a 4 it should work. Is you issue with Bluetooth or is it with Android Auto? If it's Bluetooth then delete the vehicle profile and remove the device from the car settings and then add it back. If it's only AA, then are u connecting to the correct AA port?

I also have a Pixel 2XL which works with my car.

Unrelated, is there not a way through android auto to view my text messages? If I get a text message while driving the car will read it to me and I can reply of course, but is there no app that will let you pull up all your SMS messages so you can read them? I get they wouldn't want you messing around with it while driving but even if the car is stopped?

And I'm guessing none of them will display a photo? I was driving and got a MMS (my phone wasn't plugged in so the native Mazda thing took over) and the system showed "Message type not supported" and when the voice read it back to me it just read the filename which was amusing.

So I am upgrading my 2018 from 59.xx to 70.00.367A and one place said I need to do the 70.00.100 update first(failsafe and big file) and others say I can just go straight to the latest and skip the failsafe step. Anyone do this yet? I'd prefer to just do one install.

I also have a Pixel 2XL which works with my car.

Unrelated, is there not a way through android auto to view my text messages? If I get a text message while driving the car will read it to me and I can reply of course, but is there no app that will let you pull up all your SMS messages so you can read them? I get they wouldn't want you messing around with it while driving but even if the car is stopped?

And I'm guessing none of them will display a photo? I was driving and got a MMS (my phone wasn't plugged in so the native Mazda thing took over) and the system showed "Message type not supported" and when the voice read it back to me it just read the filename which was amusing.

The AIO Tweak can be set up to do so.

So I am upgrading my 2018 from 59.xx to 70.00.367A and one place said I need to do the 70.00.100 update first(failsafe and big file) and others say I can just go straight to the latest and skip the failsafe step. Anyone do this yet? I'd prefer to just do one install.
Hey Frank did you install the Tweak after going to 367A? I just got my CarPlay and was thinking about the tweak but not sure..

My wife just bought a 2020 CX-5 and can't connect her Android Auto to her Motorola Moto Z3 phone? The dealer connected his phone but hers wouldn't work. Suggestions?

Last edited:
My wife just bought a 2020 CX-5 and can't connect her Android Auto to her Motorola Moto Z3 phone? The dealer connected his phone but hers wouldn't work. Suggestions?

If they didn't use the same usb cable then make sure she doesn't have a bad USB cable. If they were the same, make sure she doesn't have her phone configured to only charge when connected via USB.

I have a Z2 and my wife has a Z3. Both work fine with AA. There are steps you need to follow to get it going. The first being loading the app. :)

The apps were loaded prior to attempting to connect. I went to a Motorola forum to get info but that didn't work either.

It's not a Motorola issue. If you can't figure it out by using the owner's manual, you should take it to your dealer. They should be able to connect it for you in a few minutes.

If they didn't use the same usb cable then make sure she doesn't have a bad USB cable. If they were the same, make sure she doesn't have her phone configured to only charge when connected via USB.

Check this, there was a post recently where an owner was having trouble re-enabling AA on his 2020 CX-5. He was trying to troubleshoot an issue and disabled AA from the Infotainment, which put his phone into "Charge only" mode. He switched it back to "Data transfer" mode on his phone and was able to re-enable AA. Maybe that will fix your issue too.

Check this, there was a post recently where an owner was having trouble re-enabling AA on his 2020 CX-5. He was trying to troubleshoot an issue and disabled AA from the Infotainment, which put his phone into "Charge only" mode. He switched it back to "Data transfer" mode on his phone and was able to re-enable AA. Maybe that will fix your issue too.

When I plug mine into a computer, it shows "USB Charging" mode. When I plug it into our CX-5 and select the phone in the menu, it comes up in AA mode. I have never had to change it to data transfer to work with AA?

When I plug mine into a computer, it shows "USB Charging" mode. When I plug it into our CX-5 and select the phone in the menu, it comes up in AA mode. I have never had to change it to data transfer to work with AA?

It's just something to try. In the post I referenced, disabling AA from the infotainment put the phone into "charge-only" mode. Likely what happened is that the car/phone now recognizes that USB device/port as "charge-only", and defaults to that mode when it is connected via USB. Yours may have always defaulted to data transfer because you've never had to change it.

This is less likely to work in this case as it sounds like Guswhite's wife has never used her phone with the CX-5 before, but it may be worth checking nonetheless.

AA should absolutely work with every phone listed in this thread. You should not need to switch modes when you connect. One thing to try is removing and reinstalling the app on your phone. Reboot in between just because. As mentioned cables are sometimes an issue, too. There are cables that do not pass data, only charge devices. Those won't work.

I ran into a similar issue when I purchased a 2019 CX-5 this spring. I have a Pixel 4 and after purchasing a new USB cable (USB Type-C to USB-A Male 3.1 Gen2), it worked fine. Not sure if the cable needs to be 3.1 or Gen2, but it seems like the safest bet. For reference, this is what I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I just purchased a 2017 CX-5 Tourning.

Apple Carplay retrofit was on my to do list prior to purchase. I noticed on the CPO checklist that upgrading to the latest software version was done.

My question is this? Am I good to go to just install the hardware and I will have Carplay?

I've included what I see when I go into the settings to see what software version it is running.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_0814.jpg

Yes ... you’re good-to-go with the hardware installation.

I just purchased a 2017 CX-5 Tourning.

Apple Carplay retrofit was on my to do list prior to purchase. I noticed on the CPO checklist that upgrading to the latest software version was done.

My question is this? Am I good to go to just install the hardware and I will have Carplay?

I've included what I see when I go into the settings to see what software version it is running.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 226607

Back