2016~2023 CX-9 41K spark plug change, found NGK plugs in the wild

Hello everyone! I recently purchased a 2017 CX9 signature, my first Mazda (Traded in a Ford with a looming transmission problem)! I picked it up with just a touch over 41K on the clock. Reading the service manual I saw the spark plugs were do for a change. I did a lot of reading on the forums and found that many people have had to default to Mazdas OEM plugs (which are NGK anyway). I ended up plugging in the NGK part number into google to see if I could find any and sure enough Oreillys popped up so I clicked to see what the website would say. The part number (90288) showed up as "available for pickup by 8AM tomorrow" @ $21.99/each and decided to give it a shot! Sure enough the next morning I got an email that the parts were in stock at my local Oreillys.

I know many people have had trouble sourcing these, so hopefully everyone else can get these next day like I did, hopefully they are starting to be available for us. I attached a picture of the plugs I pulled out, they look phenomenal and by my untrained eye appear to be good enough to still be serviceable for another 40K. The change was very easy, I plan on doing a transmission fluid & filter (strainer) change next month and will post a guide walkthrough as well for those interested.

20200723_133007.jpg
20200723_133013.jpg
20200723_133143.jpg

Welcome to the Mazda Club and nice find! (y)

The change was very easy, I plan on doing a transmission fluid & filter (strainer) change next month and will post a guide walkthrough as well for those interested.

A guide / walkthrough would be great...You can post it in the forums or via our new Resources feature...Here's the CX-9 section...

Great info, thank you! Have you noticed any changes after swapping plugs?

Great info, thank you! Have you noticed any changes after swapping plugs?
I think the plugs were in such good shape the changing to new ones didn't really do much overall honestly. My old 97 stratus is the only vehicle I've ever noticed a difference when the plugs were changed. I think Mazda was very conservative in their 40K service interval. However when I changed the air filter, I noticed a difference in MPGs for sure. I think it was the original filter, it was very nasty.

I was just about to open up a thread about spark plugs. It looks like I'm over due for a new set by about 20,000km (hard to say really, Mazda has no record of the prior owner ever changing them, but I won't know for sure until I pull them to check).

After doing some research it seems that, aside from the Mazda plugs, the one and only plug available is the NGK 90288 DILKAR7M8 (fyi, the Mazda part number is PY8V-18-110). RockAuto seems to not have them in stock, and NGKs own website lists them as unavailable. That's kinda weird. I also checked Denso's website and the only thing they list for 2nd gen CX-9s is the radiator. Anyway, I see that the local NAPA auto parts store lists them which is great, but I also noticed something really strange, it had this disclaimer in the info sheet:
Important Information: @Gap .030"@;Actual OE Manufacturer;64,000 km Factory Recommended Service Interval

The Mazda manual states the plugs should be changed at 80,000Km, but NAPA says 64,000Km. That's got me worried as now I'm thinking these aren't true OEM replacements. That or NAPA is just wrong, which is probably the more likely explanation.

So the local Mazda dealership quotes me CDN$50 a plug. NAPA is selling those NGKs for CDN$30. That's a significant savings, but if I have to change them every 64,000Km it probably works out to be the same. Has anyone else come across this weird discrepancy?

I was just about to open up a thread about spark plugs. It looks like I'm over due for a new set by about 20,000km (hard to say really, Mazda has no record of the prior owner ever changing them, but I won't know for sure until I pull them to check).

After doing some research it seems that, aside from the Mazda plugs, the one and only plug available is the NGK 90288 DILKAR7M8 (fyi, the Mazda part number is PY8V-18-110). RockAuto seems to not have them in stock, and NGKs own website lists them as unavailable. That's kinda weird. I also checked Denso's website and the only thing they list for 2nd gen CX-9s is the radiator. Anyway, I see that the local NAPA auto parts store lists them which is great, but I also noticed something really strange, it had this disclaimer in the info sheet:

The Mazda manual states the plugs should be changed at 80,000Km, but NAPA says 64,000Km. That's got me worried as now I'm thinking these aren't true OEM replacements. That or NAPA is just wrong, which is probably the more likely explanation.

So the local Mazda dealership quotes me CDN$50 a plug. NAPA is selling those NGKs for CDN$30. That's a significant savings, but if I have to change them every 64,000Km it probably works out to be the same. Has anyone else come across this weird discrepancy?
Well NGK IS the OEM manufacturer for spark plugs in our Mazda, that's a fact. So they are true OEM replacements....I just checked NAPA USA site and I got no such message about lifespan. Then I checked where I got them, O'Reillys and got no such message their either. Potentially it's just a fault somewhere in translation.

Yes, I think you're right. The guy at the Mazda parts counter told me they are double iridium plugs, and the NGK iridium plugs start with "IL". These ones start with "DIL", which I believe the "D" stands for "Double". So ya, I think you're right. I just wanted to double check with the experts. ;)

I felt pretty cool when I installed double platinums in my first car, many years ago. Now I'm getting double iridiums. Man, I'm moving on up! 😅😅😅

Yes, I think you're right. The guy at the Mazda parts counter told me they are double iridium plugs, and the NGK iridium plugs start with "IL". These ones start with "DIL", which I believe the "D" stands for "Double". So ya, I think you're right. I just wanted to double check with the experts. ;)

I felt pretty cool when I installed double platinums in my first car, many years ago. Now I'm getting double iridiums. Man, I'm moving on up! 😅😅
Close!
DI -high ignitability double fine electrode
L - long thread reach plug
KA - 12 thread diameter, 19 thread length, gasket type seat, 16 hex size
R - resistor
7 - heat rating (smack in middle for NGKs FYI, not hot or cold type of plug).
M - 2 ground electrodes (which is strange because they clearly don't, this "M" designation was special for Mazda rotary engines, just Google rx7 or rx8 spark plugs to see how strange they look. I assume the meaning here is different, but I can't figure out how.)
8 - gap size .032mm

You're too kinda, I wasn't even close! 😂

Btw, the ngk site states this plug is a "Special Motorcycle Plug". I wonder if that has anything to do with the "M".

You're too kinda, I wasn't even close! 😂

Btw, the ngk site states this plug is a "Special Motorcycle Plug". I wonder if that has anything to do with the "M".
nah man, don't sell yourself short! You were totally right about the double electrode iridium plugs.

Good find with that "M" meaning. the OG meaning for NGKs was for "Mazda" with the rotaries. I assume its for the cosmos, RX3's and such and other early RX7 rotaries, as the new 13B has a leading and trailing specific spark plug and i assume those numbers are different and the M probably wasn't specific enough at that point.

These spark plugs were different than any other car spark plug ive ever changed, they were smaller for sure, so if they are motorcycle spark plugs that might not surprise me. My thought when I read your post is that maybe thats a designation for higher compression engines, and motorcycles usually have high compression, and we all know that the skyactive engines are high compression also.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but just saw that RockAuto has these guys in stock now. $12.80 a plug. Tax and shipping, out the door for under $60 total. I'm almost at 40K was hating the thought of having to pay premium price for a plug. So glad they're in stock now and great price. Anyway, grab 'em while you can....

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but just saw that RockAuto has these guys in stock now. $12.80 a plug. Tax and shipping, out the door for under $60 total. I'm almost at 40K was hating the thought of having to pay premium price for a plug. So glad they're in stock now and great price. Anyway, grab 'em while you can....

Direct link: https://www.rockauto.com/en/partsearch/?mfr=NGK&parttype=7212&partnum=90288

Thanks for posting @Mkinsocal! Great price. Ordered a couple of sets.

Today I just replaced my 2018 cx9 spark plugs at 39k it took me a few hours because of the stubborn ignition coil didn't want to seat in. Anyway, what do you think of the condition of the spark plugs at 39k miles?

Attachments

• 20210522_190629.jpg
    20210522_190629.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 286
  • 20210522_190544.jpg
    20210522_190544.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG-20210522-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20210522-WA0003.jpeg
    150.7 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG-20210522-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20210522-WA0005.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 327
Ya, that burnt looking portion of the boot base seems concerning, but from what I can tell that's normal for these cars/plugs. Mine looked exactly the same, although mine were changed at 100,000 km. A little over the suggested period.

I picked up some plugs today at the dealer. They are Mazda value brand, and look like they were made in an old soviet factory. has anyone used these? should I take them back and ask for the made in Japan plugs?

Back