2017~2024 CPO worth it?

:
2020 CX-5 GT AWD
Hi there,

Shopping around for a 2019 CX-5 GT AWD in the Bay Area and most used cars near us (~30 minutes) are not CPOs and have 20-35k miles on them whereas we could go an hour drive and pick up a CPO for similar price and similar miles. How was everyone's experience been with CPO and do you think it makes or breaks buying the CX-5?

Thanks!

The Mazda CPO warranty is nothing special. It only gives you an extra year of warranty. I would just search for the best deal on a low mile, one owner, clean Carfax vehicle, CPO or otherwise. All of those things will add future resale value more than the CPO warranty.

Hi there,

Shopping around for a 2019 CX-5 GT AWD in the Bay Area and most used cars near us (~30 minutes) are not CPOs and have 20-35k miles on them whereas we could go an hour drive and pick up a CPO for similar price and similar miles. How was everyone's experience been with CPO and do you think it makes or breaks buying the CX-5?

Thanks!
If every thing is similar, I’d drive an hour and pick up a CPO CX-5. Extra 12-month/12,000-mile new car warranty is good to cover everything which fails, but I believe the 7-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty is huge. It’s better than 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty on a new car, and it covers any powertrain problems on car life towards 100,000 miles when it’s prone to have issues.

I agree, having the CPO warranty is probably worth it if you will be keeping your car long term.
I found a great deal on a 2017 CX5 with CPO that was very close in price to private sales.
Other than the warranty they go over the car with a thorough inspection. Tires and brakes have to have no more than 50% wear or they get replaced. You need to figure out what give you peace of mind,

Remember to ask the CPO dealer what the car's "in-service date" is - that will dictate when the clock starts ticking on the 7-year CPO warranty.

Looks like CPO 2019 GT AWDs go for around 26k in your area.

Consider a 2020. There are upgrades over the 2019 that may be worth it, plus 20k less miles on the clock.

California dealers don't discount much, but this is what the Internet is for - just do your due diligence.

There's a Lincoln, NE dealer with a bunch of new 2020 CX-5 GTs for 25k. You could hire a transporter for under a thousand, or make a socially-distant adventure around it. Closer, there's a dealer in Hillsboro, OR that seems to offer some for 29k.

If every thing is similar, I’d drive an hour and pick up a CPO CX-5. Extra 12-month/12,000-mile new car warranty is good to cover everything which fails, but I believe the 7-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty is huge. It’s better than 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty on a new car, and it covers any powertrain problems on car life towards 100,000 miles when it’s prone to have issues.
There’re 3 more great benefits on Mazda’s CPO warranty. Firstly the Mazda’s CPO warranty is transferable which definitely will add resale value if you sell the car early. Secondly, not like new Mazda vehicles, emergency roadside assistance is valid for as long as 7-year/100,000-mile CPO powertrain warranty. Thirdly, CPO cars come with a full AutoCheck® vehicle history report and 3-year Buyback Protection from Experian.

Consider a 2020. There are upgrades over the 2019 that may be worth it, plus 20k less miles on the clock.
Yes, I’d consider a new 2020 CX-5 instead of a CPO 2019 CX-5 OP is looking for.

Thanks everyone! I think we'll lean towards a CPO.

Regarding 2019 used vs 2020 new this is good advice, thank you. I think I've managed to find one in the 29k range which is only ~4k more than a used. Will report back when we're owners of our CX-5.

Without regard to a right or wrong as to whether it's worth it (and I personally like CPO's), here's a bit of info on CPO's....

A dealer pays the manufacturer about $600 to CPO a car and charges about $1,200 - $1,500 more for the car when selling it. What most people don't know is that sometimes a dealer will intentionally not CPO a car, even a 2019, so they can sell it at a lower price. That said, if you find a car you like, some dealer will delete the CPO and take about $1,200 off the car, and conversely may, just may, CPO the car if you ask and charge you $1,200.

There's a Lincoln, NE dealer with a bunch of new 2020 CX-5 GTs for 25k. You could hire a transporter for under a thousand, or make a socially-distant adventure around it. Closer, there's a dealer in Hillsboro, OR that seems to offer some for 29k.

I was curious why a dealer would sell new 2020 CX-5s for so much under MSRP. Those are hail damaged vehicles. Still, nice discount of $5250. https://www.andersonmazdalincoln.co...zda+CX-5-f86acf530a0e0adf1ea85fd3eaab6eeb.htm

The powertrain warranty is a nice extra if you will keep the vehicle longer term. I will probably sell the vehicle before the standard 5 year powertrain warranty runs out.

I noticed the financing incentives are much better on new. 0% APR for new vs 2.9% APR on CPO. That is a $2,500 difference on a 5 year loan, assuming a $32,000 loan. Could make a new 2020 the better deal, considering the future resale difference. My Mazda is the first vehicle I've ever bought new, due to the decent resale values of late model CX-5s.

Without regard to a right or wrong as to whether it's worth it (and I personally like CPO's), here's a bit of info on CPO's....

A dealer pays the manufacturer about $600 to CPO a car and charges about $1,200 - $1,500 more for the car when selling it. What most people don't know is that sometimes a dealer will intentionally not CPO a car, even a 2019, so they can sell it at a lower price. That said, if you find a car you like, some dealer will delete the CPO and take about $1,200 off the car, and conversely may, just may, CPO the car if you ask and charge you $1,200.

Excellent points, my wifes 2018 is CPO due to annual mileage driven (Covid changed that this year) I decided to save and purchase a used 2019 non-CPO.
Both cars have required 0 in warranty repairs thus far.
Mazda's reliability with the CX5 is excellent.

I believe the 7-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty is huge. it covers any powertrain problems on car life towards 100,000 miles when it’s prone to have issues.
I didn't know the CX-5's are "prone" to having issues between 60,000 - 99,999 miles.
Can you cite any statistics/facts to support this point?

Firstly the Mazda’s CPO warranty is transferable which definitely will add resale value if you sell the car early.
What information are you citing to claim it "adds resale value"?
Dealers will definitely not give you more when trading it in.
The only way this could be true is if you sell it private party AND during a narrow window of time (after OEM warranty expires and before CPO warranty expires) AND you find someone willing to pay more for you car for that sliver of remaining warranty.

Last edited:
I didn't know the CX-5's are "prone" to having issues between 60,000 - 99,999 miles.
Can you cite any statistics/facts to support this point?
I said “it covers any powertrain problems on car life towards 100,000 miles when it’s prone to have issues.“ I didn’t say specifically it’s the problem for CX-5, but for any vehicles in general that you will have more problems when the car is getting older and getting close to 100,000 miles. Having 100,000-mile factory powertrain warranty is nice and gives you peace of mind.

Ask Unobtanium about his previous CPO 2015 CX-5 and see how much money he saved by having the CPO warranty.

What information are you citing to claim it "adds resale value"?
Dealers will definitely not give you more when trading it in.
The only way this could be true is if you sell it private party AND during a narrow window of time (after OEM warranty expires and before CPO warranty expires) AND you find someone willing to pay more for you car for that sliver of remaining warranty.
Even in the one scenario you described, it does add resale value with a 100,000-mile powertrain warranty if you sell the car early. Between two 70K~80K-mile cars with everything else is similar, most people would choose the one with factory powertrain warranty, even with a bit higher price. At least I would.

I said “it covers any powertrain problems on car life towards 100,000 miles when it’s prone to have issues.“ I didn’t say specifically it’s the problem for CX-5
This thread is specifically discussing the 2019 CX-5, and you said "towards 100K miles when it's prone to have issues." It certainly seemed like you were indicating the CX-5 is prone to having powertrain issues between 60K-99K miles.
My only point is that it's not statistically wise to spend ~$1500 for a CPO warranty to cover the very small probability of a powertrain issue during that narrow mileage window.

Even in the one scenario you described, it does add resale value...
I was reacting to your assertion that the CPO warranty "definitely will add resale value if you sell the car early."

I think what you meant to say is..."if you happen to sell the car in a particular way, at a particular time, with a particular number of miles, then it might possibly add a small amount of resale value."

In many cases you will see no added resale value...
- If you sell to a dealer or at auction
- If you sell with less than 100K miles, but in year 7 or later
- If you sell earlier than year 7, but with 100K+ miles
- If you can't find a buyer willing to pay for a few months of limited powertrain coverage

You would have to sell via a private party sale, and during a narrow time window, to have any chance of getting more for your vehicle than a non-CPO car.

I said “it covers any powertrain problems on car life towards 100,000 miles when it’s prone to have issues.“ I didn’t say specifically it’s the problem for CX-5, but for any vehicles in general that you will have more problems when the car is getting older and getting close to 100,000 miles.

It's a grammar/semantics issue. The way you wrote it, it sounds as if you are talking about the CX-5 specifically, because you wrote ".. when it's prone to have issues" instead of ".. when cars are more prone to having issues". It's easy to misread, which led to the confusion.

This thread is specifically discussing the 2019 CX-5,

My only point is that it's not statistically wise to spend ~$1500 for a CPO warranty to cover the very small probability of a powertrain issue during that narrow mileage window.
If you have read OP’s post, he said he could go an hour drive and pick up a CPO for similar price and similar miles. So where is this additional $1,500 for CPO warranty coming from?

Hi there,

Thanks!

I was reacting to your assertion that the CPO warranty "definitely will add resale value if you sell the car early."

I think what you meant to say is..."if you happen to sell the car in a particular way, at a particular time, with a particular number of miles, then it might possibly add a small amount of resale value."

In many cases you will see no added resale value...
- If you sell to a dealer or at auction
- If you sell with less than 100K miles, but in year 7 or later
- If you sell earlier than year 7, but with 100K+ miles
- If you can't find a buyer willing to pay for a few months of limited powertrain coverage

You would have to sell via a private party sale, and during a narrow time window, to have any chance of getting more for your vehicle than a non-CPO car.
Like the life insurance, it’s more valuable when we’re getting older. A factory powertrain warranty is more valuable when the car is having higher mileage. In general, if you sell a used car with a factory powertrain warranty and it’s transferable, it’s an added value to the vehicle. In the scenario you listed after the warranty runs out, of course it has no value. A CPO car would tend to have better repair quality because every powertrain repair will be using OEM parts and done by factory-trained technician. Again, a factory powertrain warranty has its value especially at higher mileage. Ask Unobtanium and see how he feels from his previous CPO 2015 CX-5. All the assumption of course is based on similar price between CPO and non-CPO cars.

In general, if you sell a used car with a factory powertrain warranty and it’s transferable, it’s an added value to the vehicle.
No it doesn't.
If you sell your vehicle to a dealer, trade the vehicle in, auction it, or sell it to an online car service (Carvana), it will not add any value. They will not pay more for it.

A CPO car would tend to have better repair quality because every powertrain repair will be using OEM parts and done by factory-trained technician.
Say what???
This assumes a vehicle actually experiences powertrain issues between 60K-99K miles.
Which probably happens to < 1% of CPO vehicles.

And any non-CPO vehicle could also have the same OEM parts and factory technicians. Most new car owners use the stealership for service and would have maintenance documents proving this.

Looks like everyone has an opinion. If I wanted to trade or sell my car, I would find it easier to sell with the CPO warranty and would get more than a trade in assuming the sale also covered the lost sales tax credit for trading.

A warranty gives you an edge when selling it yourself. I always sell older cars myself rather than trade since the savings on sales tax is minimal. With a warranty and right price, you can sell it in days. PRICE sells.

A warranty gives you an edge when selling it yourself. I always sell older cars myself rather than trade since the savings on sales tax is minimal. With a warranty and right price, you can sell it in days. PRICE sells.
As you say "PRICE sells".
That is my point...selling a car with a few months worth of limited powertrain warranty is not going to automatically command a notably higher sales price.
Therefore, the claim that it will "definitely will add resale value" is completely unfounded.

Back