What did you pay for your CX-5?

Find some time to listen to this, it's amazing. You can listen to each 8 minutes segment by itself

Do we want to be honest or nice.....? On Miata.net we are respectful but honest - which sometimes hurts someone's feelings

My feelings aren't hurt. It's certainly possible I could have gotten a better deal, and if my experience helps someone else get a better deal than I did, then I hope they do.

Hello. First timer here. Making the move from Honda to Mazda.

I'm looking at used 2019 CX-5 Signatures and found 2 nearby.
One is certified pre-owned @ the local Mazda dealership. 4K miles, list $34,500.​
The other is 1-owner trade-in @ GMC dealership. 13K miles, list $30K.​
I don't know what kind of markup exists with used cars. KBB range is $30,600-34,900, fair price $32,400-33,000. Seeing some people have successfully negotiated $32,500-33,500 ish for new 2020s, any thoughts on what I can target for used 2019s? Is $27-28,000 (before TTL) unrealistic?

The one listed for 34000 is stupid. I can almost guarantee you, the one listed for 30,000, if you called him up on the phone and said you'll be in tomorrow night with 28000, he'll take it. But you have to let him know that that 28,000 is a now offer, anything more than that you'll have to think about it

My take on pricing. - I'll start at the end.... If you got a car you like, at a price you're happy with, then a month from now you won't notice whether the car cost you $400 more or less one way or the other. That said........

I noticed a lot of people "happy' with their price who didn't want the 'hassle' of trying for a better price. Here's the truth - the dealer KNOWS that you want a car more than you think he wants to sell you one. In reality, he needs to sell a car more than you need to buy one. The problem is this - if you woke up on a Saturday, drove 30 minutes to (and from) his dealership, parked your car, went inside (dreading) to see a salesman, talked about his inventory for 30 minutes, spent 30 minutes looking at the car, then another 15 minutes driving it, then he KNOWS you want to buy a car and that $500 - $1,500 isn't going to stand in your way. But it's still the truth that he needs the sale more than you need the car. And if you're accepting anything close to his offer, they still have hundreds left to negotiate.

Now, you'll drive 30 minutes across town (and 30 minutes back) to get that $1,600 big screen TV on sale somewhere for $1,300. - there's an hour of your time to save $300, great, I'd do the same. But you won't spend another hour to get your car for $300 less?

Wait, I know what you're thinking. Hey, $300 off a $1,600 TV is almost 20%, but $300 off a $30,000 car is only 1% so in the scheme of things it's no big deal. - WRONG. Either was it's $300 bucks in your pocket.

I've actually bought most of my cars by phone. A simple "If you can sell me the car $XX,XXX I'll be in there tonight. If not, I respect that but will have to think about it for a day or two" Trust me, if it's a price they sell it for you for they won't try to get that extra $300 out of you because they know that in 2 days you may not want it anymore. When you're in the showroom they know you want the car and aren't going to walk away over $300. By the time you start negotiating he already know you're going to buy the car. So it has to be a firm, "I'll buy it right now for this price, otherwise I have to go home and think about it" Again, trust me, he know if you walk out (in my case say goodbye on the phone) his odds of selling a car has gone down.

A final note, if people here are buying new Signatures for $33,000, then you can too. And there's no headache of 'haggling'. Just say that $XX,000 is what you 'll pay today. And don't fall for that "well we already installed the anti-theft etching and paint/fabric protection BS. Call his bluff and tell him to call you when they get a new car off the truck that doesn't have it yet - They can easily see what's coming off the boat in the next month.
That is true. Show the dealer that you want the car, meanwhile, show them that you are not the one they should play with. Do more research and be patient, all the time and effort will be worht it.

Hello. First timer here. Making the move from Honda to Mazda.

I'm looking at used 2019 CX-5 Signatures and found 2 nearby.
One is certified pre-owned @ the local Mazda dealership. 4K miles, list $34,500.​
The other is 1-owner trade-in @ GMC dealership. 13K miles, list $30K.​
I don't know what kind of markup exists with used cars. KBB range is $30,600-34,900, fair price $32,400-33,000. Seeing some people have successfully negotiated $32,500-33,500 ish for new 2020s, any thoughts on what I can target for used 2019s? Is $27-28,000 (before TTL) unrealistic?
I’d be very careful on these 2 vehicles and I’ll find out why they got traded in within a year.

At the end of my lease for my 2017 touring, I’m being offered the following for a 2020 touring with preferred package.

The dealer says this is the best he can do – I’m looking for an argument that it’s not :) (I’m in Northern California)

I know the lease issues are fine – .0012 and .57 residual are good numbers. My question, is the net price of the car fair?

Thanks in advance!

MSRP $31,005
Price 29,500
Cap Reduction 1709
Rebate $1833

Money factor .0012
Residual .57
Acquisition fee is $650
California tax and license $569.75
Monthly payment including tax $334.63

Planning to buy CX5 Touring in northern NJ, AWD.
Any suggestions, recent prices would be a great help.
Targetting OTD price of 28000. Would this a good price ?
Appreciate any inputs

Planning to buy CX5 Touring in northern NJ, AWD.
Any suggestions, recent prices would be a great help.
Targetting OTD price of 28000. Would this a good price ?
Appreciate any inputs

Since they seem to MSRP (with destination fee) at about $29,300. NJ sales tax 6.625% (don't know if there's additional city/county tax). So so I'm already you'd need to be at $26,2300 a sales price just to get to $28,000 - and that;s before title and license fees. So now we're talking at maybe $25,800 sales price? So that's 12% off MSRP. I know that's doable on Signatures but don't know about the lower level trims.

EDIT: So I made a call. WOW, they're not doing much on these. Sales manager at Open Road Mazda said the best they can do is $1,200 off MSRP, and another $1,500 off if you're paying cash, or bringing your own financing. It was a real short conversation, none of this "come on in and let's see what we can do. So I'm thinking this might really be the best. Which mean a price of $26,600, and that's before their Doc Fee. So the short answer is no, can't get for $28,000 OTD. OF course, that's not talking about Loyalty, Military, or College cash programs

Last edited:
Since they seem to MSRP (with destination fee) at about $29,300. NJ sales tax 6.625% (don't know if there's additional city/county tax). So so I'm already you'd need to be at $26,2300 a sales price just to get to $28,000 - and that;s before title and license fees. So now we're talking at maybe $25,800 sales price? So that's 12% off MSRP. I know that's doable on Signatures but don't know about the lower level trims.

EDIT: So I made a call. WOW, they're not doing much on these. Sales manager at Open Road Mazda said the best they can do is $1,200 off MSRP, and another $1,500 off if you're paying cash, or bringing your own financing. It was a real short conversation, none of this "come on in and let's see what we can do. So I'm thinking this might really be the best. Which mean a price of $26,600, and that's before their Doc Fee. So the short answer is no, can't get for $28,000 OTD. OF course, that's not talking about Loyalty, Military, or College cash programs
Thank you hal2 for your response and making the call. very much appreciated.

I actually like that kind of thing. For me it's kind of easy as I get a new car every 4 years or so, it's more of a want and I tell them "I don't have to have this car, I'll keep driving my 4 year old, 30k mile Toyota. It's the same thing I did with my car. I make a call, tell them "I'll come in today at this price" No back and forth. If they can do it great, if not, they come back with we don't make money at that price, here's what I can do". I've done all my research first. Good luck on your search

Dealer offered this without a single bit of negotiating. Is it any good and how much lower could I go?

CX-5 Touring
MSRP: 27,930
Discount: 2,500
Rebate: 1,500
Mazda Value Package: 599
Total: 24,529

OTD: 26,441

That's almost 13% off MSRP, we'd call that very good. I got to know what the Mazda value package is? Paint or cloth protection? Sound deadening rustproofing?. I'd say the price is good as is, but say this "if you can knock off the $600 value package tell him you'll be in tomorrow, otherwise I need until the weekend to think about it. - I can almost guaranty he'll take it. They know that too much mind changing can happen in 4 days

Last edited:
Dealer offered this without a single bit of negotiating. Is it any good and how much lower could I go?

CX-5 Touring
MSRP: 27,930
Discount: 2,500
Rebate: 1,500
Mazda Value Package: 599
Total: 24,529

OTD: 26,441
wow , that's pretty good. Do you mind telling location pls ? Not seeing those numbers , closest have seen is 31k OTD

That's almost 13% off MSRP, we'd call that very good. I got to know what the Mazda value package is? Paint or cloth protection? Sound deadening rustproofing?. I'd say the price is good as is, but say this "if you can knock off the $600 value package tell him you'll be in tomorrow, otherwise I need until the weekend to think about it. - I can almost guaranty he'll take it. They know that too much mind changing can happen in 4 days
The value package contains window tint, wheel locks, door edge guard and nitrogen tires. From my research, the only one of those worth anything is the window tint, right?

Also this is in Houston, TX.

The value package contains window tint, wheel locks, door edge guard and nitrogen tires. From my research, the only one of those worth anything is the window tint, right?

Also this is in Houston, TX.

I'm gonna be that guy......

Anything Touring trim or above already has factory legal tinted windows (rear doors/rear window). Wheel locks.....Mazda wheels are not a high theft item so thats a coin toss of worth. Rest of it is dollars worth of stuff, Nitrogen air in tires is almost worthless.
The $600 package is a flat out RIPOFF and money maker for the dealer. They might as well just add that to their vehicle cost (or reduce discount) cause you should NOT have to pay for useless packages on a new purchase.

Also one big lol for the dealer calling this a "Value Package"....value how?? Value for whom? Cause it certainly isn't any value for the customer in any way/shape/form. Complete robbery.

Back