Lane Keeping Assist Behavior

Spoke to my dealer and MazdaUSA, both said that the CX5 does not correct drifting but only warns via wheel shaking/vibrating and yellow lines on dash and hud. It was a consistent message. My salesman did say otherwise. Very confused on how others are getting the subtle correction. Can someone try it and keep their hands off the wheel to see if the CX5 actually does self correct?
Yeah, it's very slight, but it IS there. I played with it when we first got the car... deliberately took my hands off the wheel (empty road) and let it drift. It turned me back into the lane and then if I let it drift to the other side, corrected that too. But that was it. Two corrections and it shuts down and bitches at you to get your head out your a** and drive!

One thing to note is that I noticed the lane correction only worked when both sides of the lane are lit up in the on dash display, meaning the car sees both sides of the lane and can thereby make corrections

I just took the car out for a spin and it did seem to very subtly nudge me back. Whoever was behind me probably thought I was drunk since I did it quite a few times. Also for the first time I saw the steering wheel warning flash. I guess I'm used to the CRV with corrections that are way more than subtle. Its also lane centering so corrections are constant. Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Spoke to my dealer and MazdaUSA, both said that the CX5 does not correct drifting but only warns via wheel shaking/vibrating and yellow lines on dash and hud. It was a consistent message. My salesman did say otherwise. Very confused on how others are getting the subtle correction. Can someone try it and keep their hands off the wheel to see if the CX5 actually does self correct?

If it's mostly in a straight line, mine definitely will correct enough to keep me in my lane

As some said above, my '17 CX5 does the auto-correction when the / \ indicators are solid white. You cannot have your hands off the wheel for too long. The system gives you a warning on that. My '16 Mazda6 is less reliable in giving warning, and absolutely no assist. Just beep or shake.

Yeah, I bought a used 2019 CX-5 about 3 weeks ago now and after only three days of driving left it here and went on a 12 hour trip from PA to GA driving my roommates 2020 Subaru Crosstrek. After using that systems lane navigation I have to say I was disappointed in only the slight rumble of the steering wheel in my car’s first long trip.

Agree. When I was test-driving my 2019 Signature, the salesman kept boasting about the lane keep assist and I honestly couldn't feel a thing. Now, I can under ideal conditions but the vibration in the steering wheel is more useful. My wife has a 2019 Crosstrek and its lkas certainly does more to steer you back.

Our 2018 Honda CRV EX also steers you back and does a decent job of lane centering. Sometimes its annoying, but on long highway trips its useful.

My 2017 CX5 does vibrate and nudge you back in the lane. If you do it too many times, it registers driver fatigue and asks you to take rest. I do not need another co driver nudging me back (I have a wife as the first co driver) and I certainly don't need any damm Mazda telling me when to take rest. So I have turned off both the features and just kept the vibration function during lane departure in case I deviate too much to the curb on narrow roads with two way traffic.

My 2017 CX5 does vibrate and nudge you back in the lane. If you do it too many times, it registers driver fatigue and asks you to take rest. I do not need another co driver nudging me back (I have a wife as the first co driver) and I certainly don't need any damm Mazda telling me when to take rest. So I have turned off both the features and just kept the vibration function during lane departure in case I deviate too much to the curb on narrow roads with two way traffic.

Sounds like the feature is working as intended. Nice that you can turn it off if you don't like it.

Back