TPMS w/ New Tires

chrisfern23

2017 CX-5 Touring
Good Morning everyone - installed new tires yesterday and when driving to work today my TPMS came on. I called CarID and they said I need to reprogram the car for the new tires. Does anyone know how to do that? I'm sure I'm not the first to experience this. Appreciate everyones help.

Also - dumb question but with my new tires. Do I still follow the PSI guidelines inside the driver's side door? They are a different size than the stock wheels so I wasn't sure.

What year is it?
Does it have sensors in each wheel?
If not, then just press and hold the TPMS button on the dash to reset it. (it's in the manual.).
If it has sensors, then hopefully the tire shop didn't remove them.

It's a 2017 CX-5. I wasn't sure if resetting the button that way is what they meant - they almost made it seem like I need to take it to a shop that has the correct tool.

they almost made it seem like I need to take it to a shop that has the correct tool.
No tool required.
Don't let them suck you in or charge you anything. They are either ignorant of the CX-5, or trying for a quick buck.
It's a ten second reset via the TPMS button.

If you only swapped the tires and not the OEM rims, the TPMS light should not have come on at all (if the shop inflated your tires to the recommended PSI as shown on the placard in the door jamb). If you got new rims as well, you'd need to install a second set of sensors on the new wheels in order for the TPMS function to work.

When you start the car, does the TPMS warning light flash, or is it just a solid light? If it flashes upon startup, that indicates a malfunction in the system (usually a damaged or defective sensor in the tire).

First, check your tires to make sure they're at the correct PSI (or 1-3 PSI above, depending on personal preference). According to the 2017 CX-5 Owner's Manual, your car uses direct TPMS, which means that you have individual sensors installed on the wheels, inside the tires. You never need to reset these, which is why there is no TPMS Reset button on the dash. If you were to install new sensors, you would need to turn the car off and keep it off for 15 mins, then start it up and drive it for about 10 minutes to register the new sensors to the car.

If you're still getting the TPMS warning light, take it to a Mazda dealership. It's possible that one of the sensors is defective or was damaged during the tire installation. Mazda does sell new TPMS sensors, but I would suggest looking for aftermarket sensors instead. I bought a second set of 4 sensors for my CX-9's summer wheels. I paid about $80 I think, while a single sensor from Mazda would have cost me about $70.

Thanks for the reply Sm1ke. The TPMS sensor flashes a handful of times then stays solid. I installed the new wheels and tires myself. I checked the PSI on the tires and they are a couple PSI lower than recommended. Not sure how sensitive the sensors are.

With the information above do you think it's that I will need new TPMS sensors? I have to say installing those 4 wheels and caliper covers was a terrible experience yesterday, back breaking. I'd prefer to take this to a shop if it needs to be done. Is it an expensive job? If it's easy and doesn't require removing all the wheels again I can try doing it myself.

I just reviewed my purchase they should have come with the new tires. I'm assuming possibly just one is not working properly then? I called my local mechanic and it's $68 to install new sensors per tire. That's expensive if I have to replace all 4. I'm going to call the place I bought them from and find out what's going on.
1593546005211.png

1593545979783.png

I just reviewed my purchase they should have come with the new tires. I'm assuming possibly just one is not working properly then? I called my local mechanic and it's $68 to install new sensors per tire. That's expensive if I have to replace all 4. I'm going to call the place I bought them from and find out what's going on.
View attachment 225506

View attachment 225505
In your situation for new tire installation with problem you should always go back to the original tire installer and let them resolve the problem for free. For your 2017 CX-5 you don’t need additional programming for new wheels with new pressure sensors. You should have a set of new and Mazda COMPATIBLE tire pressure monitor sensors installed according to your post. Not all tire pressure monitor sensors are the same.

As for tire pressure with different brand and different size, you can start with factory recommended tire pressure when COLD. The adjust it accordingly usually it’s higher.

Last edited:
Good Morning everyone - installed new tires yesterday and when driving to work today my TPMS came on.
Need some clarification here.
You didn't say anything about new rims/wheels in your initial post. You just mentioned new tires.
If you just put new rubber on existing rims, then you should be Ok.
If you installed new rims and tires, then you'll need to add the TPMS sensors, or transfer the old ones from the old rims.
I'm also assuming (help me out here CX-5 owners) that the 2017 CX-5 uses individual sensors.
(My 2017 6 does not, and I was assuming the 2017 CX-5 didn't either.).

This is a long thread started in 2017 about TPMS, but it's a good read:

Th answer is 'it depends'. It may be a simple reset, or might involve a little more.

I swapped my tires from one infiniti to another. I had a TPMS light that wouldn't go off. It did indeed need a special scan/reset tool, not just a OBD scanner.reader.clear code thing. Yes, it was a redicuous fee from the dealer. BUT, I went to Discount Tire (long time customer) they had a tool that can read if the sensor is good, but also was able to reset it to my new vehicle.

Short Version - take it to Discount Tire and see if they can help

Hi guys - appreciate all the responses. So I called CarID and they confirmed that there are TPMS sensors installed in the new tire/wheel package. However, it must be set up by a professional shop to be 're-coded'. Wish I knew this before I broke my back putting on these 4 tires the other night - would have just had a shop install them. They said taking it to a place that has the special device shouldn't cost more than $40-$50. With that being said - is it safe to assume pretty much any general/reputable local mechanic shop should have this tool? When I called my mechanic yesterday he said it was $68/tire for TPMS installation - so I'm assuming if they can install them they would have the correct tool to code them.

Yes any general/reputable local mechanic should be able to do the TPMS coding. $68 per tire seems WAY high for this activity hower, I would expect no more than $10 - $15 per tire MAX. If you are in a region with LLANTA shops they normally are MUCH lower in cost, especially if you bring cash.

Yes any general/reputable local mechanic should be able to do the TPMS coding. $68 per tire seems WAY high for this activity hower, I would expect no more than $10 - $15 per tire MAX. If you are in a region with LLANTA shops they normally are MUCH lower in cost, especially if you bring cash.

The $68/tire was to install new sensors on each tire so it included the labor and cost of sensor.

I'm hoping it's more along the lines you stated for the coding only aspect.

Hi guys - appreciate all the responses. So I called CarID and they confirmed that there are TPMS sensors installed in the new tire/wheel package. However, it must be set up by a professional shop to be 're-coded'. Wish I knew this before I broke my back putting on these 4 tires the other night - would have just had a shop install them. They said taking it to a place that has the special device shouldn't cost more than $40-$50. With that being said - is it safe to assume pretty much any general/reputable local mechanic shop should have this tool? When I called my mechanic yesterday he said it was $68/tire for TPMS installation - so I'm assuming if they can install them they would have the correct tool to code them.
Usually the seller should pre-program the aftermarket programmable universal TPMS sensors to your vehicle before they ship the tire / wheel combo. If they didn’t, you need to find out what kind of aftermarket sensors they installed and find a local tire shop (Discount Tire?) to re-program them to be Mazda compatible. Autel MX-Sensor 2 in 1 (315MHz + 433MHz) Clamp-in 100% Cloneable TPMS Programmable Sensors is a popular sensor to be used by many. You need an Autel wireless programming tool to quickly update sensors to be Mazda TPMS compatible during installation and there’s no relearn process required.

Some TPMS needs to register sensor ID manually each time you have different TPMP sensors on the road tires which is another additional cost, sometimes it’s very expensive as you can only do it at the dealership. But our gen-2 CX-5 TPMS can register at least 2 set of sensors, and the system will register the new sensors by itself automatically.

33FB4D6E-24DE-40B3-A167-0458AB3C2930.jpeg

If it were mine, I would bring all the tires to the desired PSI, and then before your next drive, perform the TPMS reset Button procedure on your own before bringing to a shop.

If it were mine, I would bring all the tires to the desired PSI, and then before your next drive, perform the TPMS reset Button procedure on your own before bringing to a shop.
OP has a 2017 gen-2 CX-5, and there’s no TPMS button to do the reset.

Once OP programmed his new TPMS pressure sensors to be Mazda TPMS compatible, he can drive his CX-5 for about 10 minutes to register unique ID‘s from these new sensors into CX-5‘s TPMS system. Here’s the specific procedure:

FE9EA3BF-B339-464D-81A3-87352127DD15.jpeg

OP has a 2017 gen-2 CX-5, and there’s no TPMS button to do the reset.

Once OP programmed his new TPMS pressure sensors to be Mazda TPMS compatible, he can drive his CX-5 for about 10 minutes to register unique ID‘s from these new sensors into CX-5‘s TPMS system. Here’s the specific procedure:

View attachment 225530
Appreciate this information - do you know how I'd program the new TPMS pressure sensors to be Mazda compatible?

Appreciate this information - do you know how I'd program the new TPMS pressure sensors to be Mazda compatible?
If you have OEM TPMS pressure sensors installed, you don’t need programming the sensors, But OEM sensors are twice as much more expensive, hence most tire sellers would give you a set of much cheaper programmable aftermarket TPMS sensors. For a responsible tire seller, they would ask your vehicle info and pre-program the sensors to make them compatible to your vehicle. You need to find out from your tire seller that what kind of sensors they put in, and if they had programmed the sensors to be Mazda compatible. If not, you need to find a local tire store such as Discount Tire Store and ask them if they can program your particular sensors. Autel MX-Sensor is a popular TPMS sensor and most likely you have them. Then you need Autel wireless programming tool to program all 4 sensors.

After the TPMS sensors are properly programmed for your CX-5, you can follow the procedure I posted to register these new sensors.

When you call CarID to verify the sensor brand, you should ask them to reimburse the cost of sensor programming as they should have done it for you beforehand.

Last edited:
So turns out after spending hours on hold and multiple emails (some of which confirmed TPMS sensors were installed) that they were in fact NOT installed because I didn't order them. I'm completely pissed off at CarID. I ordered over the phone with one of their sales reps, who never even mentioned that I would specifically need to order these sensors. I'd consider that an error on their end to not even bring this up to me. They can't expect the general population to understand what is needed and what's not. Especially since I called over the phone to ask and didn't just order it online myself.

It now cost me $300 to get new sensors installed on all the tires when it could have cost less than $100 if they would have just installed them prior to shipping them out to me.

So turns out after spending hours on hold and multiple emails (some of which confirmed TPMS sensors were installed) that they were in fact NOT installed because I didn't order them. I'm completely pissed off at CarID. I ordered over the phone with one of their sales reps, who never even mentioned that I would specifically need to order these sensors. I'd consider that an error on their end to not even bring this up to me. They can't expect the general population to understand what is needed and what's not. Especially since I called over the phone to ask and didn't just order it online myself.

It now cost me $300 to get new sensors installed on all the tires when it could have cost less than $100 if they would have just installed them prior to shipping them out to me.

To be fair, one should always be doing their due diligence. This appears to be a case of both parties failing to do that. With that said, CarID is definitely more to blame IMO. They should be refunding you the difference in cost ($200), at the very least. If you paid out of pocket and aren't getting reimbursed in any way, they're basically getting away with their screw up with no skin off their backs. I'd fight to get the difference reimbursed. Or at least half of the difference since mistakes were made on both sides. IMO

Back