What did you pay for your CX-9?

If it’s a CX5 then not a bad deal though might still be able to squeeze more from the dealer....I usually shop using Carcost Cda which I’ve done in my last 2 Mazdas and saved $2.5K below MSRP in a CX3 (lease) and $6.5K in a Mazda6 (cash deal)...when you shop using Carcost Cda then dealer already know that they’re not going to make their target profit margin as you know the invoice cost with all the incentives and rates available (they can’t dick around)
I actually did use CarCostCanada. Their advertised price was 8.4% above invoice. I offered them 2.5% above invoice, and they took it right away. Their lack of hesitation makes me think I could get more out of them, but they didn't make much off me if the CCC invoice price is accurate, so that leaves me wondering if I did as well as I thought I did.

I actually did use CarCostCanada. Their advertised price was 8.4% above invoice. I offered them 2.5% above invoice, and they took it right away. Their lack of hesitation makes me think I could get more out of them, but they didn't make much off me if the CCC invoice price is accurate, so that leaves me wondering if I did as well as I thought I did.

2.5% above invoice is already good...though given the COVID-19 where it affected car sales in general by 70-80% just in the month of April and likely 50% down last month you would think that dealers/manufacturers would be handing out more incentives or discounts. Of course you don’t want to ruin your purchase by always thinking back you could’ve squeezed them out for more. They run a business and have to keep the lights on...as they say just keep moving forward! So enjoy the deal and the new ride. Congrats on the purchase!

2.5% above invoice is already good...though given the C-19 where it affected car sales in general by 70-80% just in the month of April and likely 50% down last month you would think that dealers/manufacturers would be handing out more incentives or discounts. Of course you don’t want to ruin your purchase by always thinking back you could’ve squeezed them out for more. They run a business and have to keep the lights on...as they say just keep moving forward! So enjoy the deal and the new ride. Congrats on the purchase!

Most of the manufacturers shut down their manufacturing plants which dramatically lowered their production. The drop in sales hasn't resulted in excess inventory sitting on lots, so there is no incentive for dealers or manufactures to hand out discounts.

Give it another couple months. Manufacturing is picking back up and unemployment is >10%. Inventory is going to start piling up.

Guys - if anyone is trying, I have a dealership at $500, or >1% over invoice. My goal is to get to 0%, and ideally under invoice. They're making money six ways to Sunday regardless. Unit incentives, sales goals, model incentives, marketing dollars.

Unhaggle/car cost canada are lead generators.

Ontario, Canada only.

Guys - if anyone is trying, I have a dealership at $500, or >1% over invoice. My goal is to get to 0%, and ideally under invoice. They're making money six ways to Sunday regardless. Unit incentives, sales goals, model incentives, marketing dollars.

Unhaggle/car cost canada are lead generators.

Ontario, Canada only.

Early this year bought a new 2019 6 on clearance - paid cash as $7K below MSRP using Carcost Cda - dealer still made $200 above invoice, while below 1% it wasn’t zero...I could have pushed for 0% above invoice or below but thought it was already an amazing deal, hard to pass up and exceeded my expectations. Sure, as a customer, goal is to get the lowest and best deal and we always think dealers are sharks, stealers and make tons of money. There should be a balance but given C-19, dealers and manufacturers are also hurting so likely inclined to give way better deals than normal. Pls. consider that nothing is free and there‘s also a cost to run the business, keep lights on, employ staff, etc. I don’t work in a dealership but I work in sales. Suggest to try to also be fair and don’t let greed get in the way of your car purchase and from enjoying the vehicle you’re after. $500 above invoice is already employee pricing and you’ve already saved thousands. If dealers didn’t make any profit they wouldn’t exist and be in business...just my 2 cents

Early this year bought a new 2019 6 on clearance - paid cash as $7K below MSRP using Carcost Cda - dealer still made $200 above invoice, while below 1% it wasn’t zero...I could have pushed for 0% above invoice or below but thought it was already an amazing deal, hard to pass up and exceeded my expectations. Sure, as a customer, goal is to get the lowest and best deal and we always think dealers are sharks, stealers and make tons of money. There should be a balance but given C-19, dealers and manufacturers are also hurting so likely inclined to give way better deals than normal. Pls. consider that nothing is free and there‘s also a cost to run the business, keep lights on, employ staff, etc. I don’t work in a dealership but I work in sales. Suggest to try to also be fair and don’t let greed get in the way of your car purchase and from enjoying the vehicle you’re after. $500 above invoice is already employee pricing and you’ve already saved thousands. If dealers didn’t make any profit they wouldn’t exist and be in business...just my 2 cents

I agree with most points here. However, what I don't know is the average use of CCC or unhaggle. For every 1 individual like myself who did their research, due diligence to understand cost and know how the dealership makes money, there are what, 10, 20 50 people who went into the dealership, got $1K off the car, and sealed the deal at $2K, the dealership will be making money hand over fist.

And this is probably one of the most opaque industries there is out there. As I mentioned, Unhaggle/CCC are still lead generators. 'Invoice price' still doesn't include holdbacks, marketing support from manufacturer, dealer incentives for pushing a car etc. etc.

Sorry - I have a personal vendetta with dealerships.

I agree with most points here. However, what I don't know is the average use of CCC or unhaggle. For every 1 individual like myself who did their research, due diligence to understand cost and know how the dealership makes money, there are what, 10, 20 50 people who went into the dealership, got $1K off the car, and sealed the deal at $2K, the dealership will be making money hand over fist.

And this is probably one of the most opaque industries there is out there. As I mentioned, Unhaggle/CCC are still lead generators. 'Invoice price' still doesn't include holdbacks, marketing support from manufacturer, dealer incentives for pushing a car etc. etc.

Sorry - I have a personal vendetta with dealerships.

From what I’ve heard according to a credible auto journalist who’s been in the industry for over 20+yrs and is an advocate for CCC, the Ave acceptable margin dealers make is anywhere between 3-5% and that is using CCC/Unhaggle for shopping around. Of course, dealers will treat you differently if you were a shopper using one of these services but majority don’t shop like that and that’s where the dealers make more on plus all the other means like add-on options, accessories, ext warranty, doc fees, security transfer fees, financing rebates or bank incentives, etc. I don’t blame you for your attitude towards dealers as not all dealerships operate fairly as well - it goes both ways and especially if you’ve had a bad experience with a particular dealer or didn’t have a pleasant experience buying in the past. My take is, if you’ve narrowed your choice down to a specific model, shop around between multiple dealers to compete for your business and award it to the dealer who treated you the fairest and gave you the best deal they can offer. I wish you can buy directly from manufacturers and other than Genesis, dealerships still exist for a reason and the one other overlooked factor for repeat business is the relationship.

All
Need your inputs here. I can probably get 0% financing, 14% off from MRSP (including "public" rebates & incentives) at this time and loyalty rebate on top of that. Is this a good deal? or should I wait for the fall for a 2021 to come out and get a 2020 at that time? Thx much in advance.

All
Need your inputs here. I can probably get 0% financing, 14% off from MRSP (including "public" rebates & incentives) at this time and loyalty rebate on top of that. Is this a good deal? or should I wait for the fall for a 2021 to come out and get a 2020 at that time? Thx much in advance.

That’s actually a good deal! However, you may have more leverage in the fall when the 2021s come out as they want to clear the 2020s and you never know with 2nd wave of C-19 likely more deals out there

I've got an offer from a dealer on a 2020 Touring FWD with Premium Package ($2100) and Tint ($499) for $33697 before taxes. Also 0% financing. Had only been considering used, but this seems like a good deal. What do you guys think? Can I get them down more?

(It's been sitting so long the battery was dead.)

I've got an offer from a dealer on a 2020 Touring FWD with Premium Package ($2100) and Tint ($499) for $33697 before taxes. Also 0% financing. Had only been considering used, but this seems like a good deal. What do you guys think? Can I get them down more?

I can't speak to selling price, but I would get quotes for tint elsewhere. Find an independent tint installer with excellent reviews and see what it would cost to get ceramic tint installed on a CX-9. Dealerships usually outsource the tint/PPF work to other companies, and in order to maximize profits, they would likely use the cheapest shop they can find (which means that quality may be lacking). Also keep in mind that the 2020 CX-9 comes with privacy glass on the rear windows and rear windshield, so you may only need the two front windows tinted to match the rear.

I think MRSP is around $38,755 so your price is around 13% so I think it's good. Aviscarsales.com has 2019 Touring but without the Premium package around $24,000 but you don't get the 0% financing.

All

A quick note about 0% financing, everytime (in 2010 and last year) I have bought a new mazda it was actually cheaper not to go with the 0% financing. There was a cash rebate which was higher than the difference in interest between the 0% and 4% financing availalble. I also believe the dealer also received a kickback from the bank offering the loan so they were more than happy to push that deal to us. Bottom line is, if the monthly payment is lower for the same period of time, then it is cheaper overall, regardless of the interest rate.

I live in Canada though so see if this applies to you. Ask your dealer about it and see if they can show you the difference in payment.

A quick note about 0% financing, everytime (in 2010 and last year) I have bought a new mazda it was actually cheaper not to go with the 0% financing. There was a cash rebate which was higher than the difference in interest between the 0% and 4% financing availalble. I also believe the dealer also received a kickback from the bank offering the loan so they were more than happy to push that deal to us. Bottom line is, if the monthly payment is lower for the same period of time, then it is cheaper overall, regardless of the interest rate.

I live in Canada though so see if this applies to you. Ask your dealer about it and see if they can show you the difference in payment.

I agreed with you up to the cash portion of the discussion.

The cash upfront is worth less than the deferral of payments and investing the difference over time. If I can borrow money at next to 0%, I can make effectively free money by leaving it in a HISA, or even Royal Bank common stock yielding 4.5%.

Agreed with the deferral of payments benefits, I may have not been completely clear in my post. I still financed the car and took the loan at 4%.

By taking the bank loan at 4% (through the dealer), instead of the 0% through Mazda, this opens the option to obtain the cash rebate. Even though you are still financing the car, for Mazda corporate you "payed it cash" because you don't have a loan with them, your loan is with the bank. (The bank loans you the money, and you pay the car cash to the dealer. Although in Canada banks have agreements directly with dealers, so the money doesn't actually goes through your hand. The bank pays the dealer directly and you make the monthly payments to the bank. The process is just as seamless as financing through Mazda).

Thus you are still benefiting from the benefit of the deferral of payments, and paying less total for the car. It is a win-win situation. The percentage value of the interest is a bit of a smoke screen. It doesn't matter the interest percentage if in the end the total value is less. (ex: If my monthly payments are 950$ for 5 years at 0% and 940$ for 5 years at 4%, then the 4% solution is actually cheaper).

Last edited:
Hello all,

New to the site and thought I would add my experience. In October of 2019, I purchased a new 2019 CX-9 GT with roof rails, windows tinted, ttl, and 3 year extended warranty for $41k. I bought it from Freeman Mazda in Irving, TX.

I have about 10k miles on it and no complaints. I came to this site looking for accessories and I'm afraid (not really) that I am going to end up with a new intake, heat shield, and exhaust from CorkSport. The only thing I have done so far is add the Fortin Evo One remote starter with long range, two-way remotes.

Looking forward to perusing the wealth of knowledge here.

Just throwing data in from my recent purchase in Vancouver BC, Canada.

2020 CX-9 GT w/ captain's chairs in machine grey.

Was quoted $46734 including freight and PDI. + $700 admin fee, $125 air/tire levy + 12% tax on top of this.

I added in roof rack, hitch without harness, and Mazda M011 19" gunmetal rims w/ Blizzaks for another $3600.

According to unhaggle, I got about invoice + $500 margin. I financed over 5 years for 0% with the loyalty rate.

Definitely felt like low margin on the car, and then not a lot of discounts on the accessories. The best thing though was being able to get pricing over the phone and not doing the whole dance that another dealership tried to get me into. "When you're sure, bring your wife and we can put some offers in front of you" - no thanks.

Not sure if its the same in Canada vs the US, but what is actually lost with 0% is a manufacturer-to-dealer incentive, which is why dealers will increase the sale price.

I learned this as I was negotiating on a car earlier this year and got quoted a lower number with "standard" financing or cash purchase vs a higher number with 0%. I "walked" (from my home office to the kitchen during shelter-in-place... 😜). After doing some research, I found the dealer was increasing the selling price by the amount of the lost incentive.

Not sure if its the same in Canada vs the US, but what is actually lost with 0% is a manufacturer-to-dealer incentive, which is why dealers will increase the sale price.

I learned this as I was negotiating on a car earlier this year and got quoted a lower number with "standard" financing or cash purchase vs a higher number with 0%. I "walked" (from my home office to the kitchen during shelter-in-place... 😜). After doing some research, I found the dealer was increasing the selling price by the amount of the lost incentive.

That is why it’s always advisable to negotiate the price of the vehicle without telling them how you’re paying or even if you have a trade-in or not...they always ask in the beginning so they know which tactics to employ in order to make as much margin and incentive (from manufacturer or bank) as possible! you can simply say “I’m not sure yet or haven’t figured that out yet”...

That's similar in Canada, except that I am not sure if it is a hidden incentive to the dealer or if it is shown as a cash rebate. Both times the option to use bank financing was offered to me by the sales rep.

But yes, 0% financing doesn't really exist, and that's from all car manufacturers, the cost of the interest to them as to be factored in the price somewhere. You will notice that when Ford has their great employee pricing rebates that the offered interest rates aren't that great. When the sale period is over and that car are marketed at MSRP then the 0% interest is available again.

But not all manufacturers provides cash payment rebates, so in those case you can't take advantage of the option to self finance above like I mentioned. So sometime it works, sometimes it doesn't. I guess all I am saying is don't jump blindly into the 0% financing offer, because sometime there can be a better way to finance it which result in a lower total cost.

Back