'18 CX-5 creaking noise from front end

:
'18 CX-5 Touring
I have a 2018 CX-5 Touring AWD, around 10-12,000 miles I noticed a creaking noise and light jerking/stutter while driving at low speeds. It happens mostly in parking lots, alleys and neighborhoods, generally when I'm going under 20-25 mph. It seems most common when I'm drifting and the car naturally starts to slow down on its' own, or if I'm braking myself and switch to pressing lightly on the gas (like going around a slight bend). Recently I've noticed the creaking also occurs when I'm braking and hit 10 mph coming to a complete stop.

Has anyone else had these issues? I am not sure if it would be engine or transmission related, or something with the suspension. I've had it at the dealer twice, first time they brushed it off and said they didn't know what I was talking about. Second time I duplicated it for them and they told me it was normal because of new technology. It has actually gotten worse after driving it 12,000 more miles. No creaking in a newer car seems normal to me, it seems like the minute you break the car in it starts. The Mazda Corporate rep told me it sounded like I was just feeling the up and downshifting of the car, and I need to take it to another dealer for a second opinion. I guess I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this?? I also have a 2010 Mazda3 and never experienced any issues, so I'm just a little disappointed.

Can you capture a video of it and share?
I’ve tried a few times, the video seems to pick up on the car and road noise before you can catch the creaking. I’ll attach the video, the creaking and hesitation is the very last second. It’s much louder sitting in the driver seat, and this instance is mild.

I’ve tried a few times, the video seems to pick up on the car and road noise before you can catch the creaking. I’ll attach the video, the creaking and hesitation is the very last second. It’s much louder sitting in the driver seat, and this instance is mild.

It is tough to hear but I think I hear it at the very end. I've heard a similar noise in my car.
Check this video out.

How handy are you?
Are you comfortable getting underneath and spraying some silicone lubricant on sway bar and control arm bushings?

Is it sound from the electric steering?

I don't think so. It's something in the suspension that they said was normal, I don't agree with that conclusion.

I did spray all the bushings in the front and it seemed to quiet down some of the noises. If you can, I recommend trying that with your rig.

I don't think so. It's something in the suspension that they said was normal, I don't agree with that conclusion.

I did spray all the bushings in the front and it seemed to quiet down some of the noises. If you can, I recommend trying that with your rig.
That was my thought, I don't see how that's normal. From what I can tell, the dealership I bought it from didn't bother to check the suspension or anything. They couldn't replicate it and called it a day.

I am not handy enough to do it myself, but it is going to the dealer within the next week. If they can't try that or something similar, I have someone who can do it for me. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have a 2018 CX-5 Touring AWD, around 10-12,000 miles I noticed a creaking noise and light jerking/stutter while driving at low speeds. It happens mostly in parking lots, alleys and neighborhoods, generally when I'm going under 20-25 mph. It seems most common when I'm drifting and the car naturally starts to slow down on its' own, or if I'm braking myself and switch to pressing lightly on the gas (like going around a slight bend). Recently I've noticed the creaking also occurs when I'm braking and hit 10 mph coming to a complete stop.

Has anyone else had these issues? I am not sure if it would be engine or transmission related, or something with the suspension. I've had it at the dealer twice, first time they brushed it off and said they didn't know what I was talking about. Second time I duplicated it for them and they told me it was normal because of new technology. It has actually gotten worse after driving it 12,000 more miles. No creaking in a newer car seems normal to me, it seems like the minute you break the car in it starts. The Mazda Corporate rep told me it sounded like I was just feeling the up and downshifting of the car, and I need to take it to another dealer for a second opinion. I guess I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this?? I also have a 2010 Mazda3 and never experienced any issues, so I'm just a little disappointed.

I had the creaking sound coming from the front end of my 2019 CX5 signature after 4k miles and thought it was my suspension. The tech looked it over and said the suspension looked fine so he tightened the chassis bolts and the cowl bolts. He said the cowl bolts were all loose that he could turn by hand so after he tightened them I no longer get any creaking sounds. Have them tighten the cowl bolts and chassis bolts. I believe it was the cowl bolts that were causing the problems as now my car is quiet and tight where as before when it creaked it seemed a little sloppy.

In case anyone needs a comparison or may be having this issue, this video makes it a bit more distinct. Especially towards the end it's pretty noticeable.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I passed them along to MNAO so they can make sure it gets resolved (or maybe not who knows). Hope no one else has this problem!

Attachments

• IMG_3863.MOV
    4.8 MB
In case anyone needs a comparison or may be having this issue, this video makes it a bit more distinct. Especially towards the end it's pretty noticeable.

Thank you all for your suggestions! I passed them along to MNAO so they can make sure it gets resolved (or maybe not who knows). Hope no one else has this problem!
That video is much better!
What is the engine doing while it is doing that?
Is it fighting itself or feeling like it could stall?

This is something I have had happen in my car before. It's like the car's in the wrong gear and bucking and fighting itself.

If it is running as rough as it seems, that noise is probably the shock going through the suspension and drive train.

Providing a little update here after my car spent 5 days at a different dealership. First started off with tightening the frame bolts since they were loose, they were convinced this was the issue. Took the car home and the problem continued. After a few more days at the dealership, they couldn't get the noise going again until the final day they had it, and compared it to a few other 2018 CX-5 that were in for servicing.

Essentially, they told me:
"Noise is backlash between the axles and transmission when vehicle is in 2nd/3rd gear and engine is slowing vehicle. Lash is necessary and a normal condition that keeps the axles from binding while turning and during suspension flex. Tested similar 2018 vehicles and was able to confirm noise is present in all and necessary for proper vehicular operation."

Not sure how to feel about that.. amazingly it's become even more frequent in 2nd gear since I got it back from them. Considering trading it at this point. Thank you all for your suggestions! I appreciate the help

Providing a little update here after my car spent 5 days at a different dealership. First started off with tightening the frame bolts since they were loose, they were convinced this was the issue. Took the car home and the problem continued. After a few more days at the dealership, they couldn't get the noise going again until the final day they had it, and compared it to a few other 2018 CX-5 that were in for servicing.

Essentially, they told me:
"Noise is backlash between the axles and transmission when vehicle is in 2nd/3rd gear and engine is slowing vehicle. Lash is necessary and a normal condition that keeps the axles from binding while turning and during suspension flex. Tested similar 2018 vehicles and was able to confirm noise is present in all and necessary for proper vehicular operation."

Not sure how to feel about that.. amazingly it's become even more frequent in 2nd gear since I got it back from them. Considering trading it at this point. Thank you all for your suggestions! I appreciate the help
Sorry to hear they weren't able to fix it for you.
I was also told the noise in my car was normal operation and there was nothing they can do. I wasn't pleased but I've since learned to live with it. I slow down considerably now when turning right into driveways and that means no noise.

Back