2017~2024 Issue with rear rotors?

Jef

:
2019 CX-5 grand touring reserve
Dropped my 2019 GT-Reserve off for service today. Car has been making a thumping sound when braking coming mainly from the rear passenger side.
Just got a call to pick up the car. They Replaced The rear rotors and did an oil change. 6262 miles On the car when it was dropped off and needs new rear rotors? Something is wrong

anyone else having this issue?!

Dropped my 2019 GT-Reserve off for service today. Car has been making a thumping sound when braking coming mainly from the rear passenger side.
Just got a call to pick up the car. They Replaced The rear rotors and did an oil change. 6262 miles On the car when it was dropped off and needs new rear rotors? Something is wrong

anyone else having this issue?!
Did you ask what happened to the rear brake rotors which require replacement? Also it’s very odd to have new rotors without new brake pads. You might have brake caliper problem which caused rotor damage.

Did you ask what happened to the rear brake rotors which require replacement? Also it’s very odd to have new rotors without new brake pads. You might have brake caliper problem which caused rotor damage.

So picked up the car and was told that the rotors were pitted and out of round. That’s w
The wording used. New rotors but no mention of pads. The check list provides by the dealer ship showed rear pads at 80% and front at 90%

Pretty bad. Were they under warranty?

No cost to me. I would’ve been super pissed if they made me pay for what seems to be a manufactured defect. If it was wear I’d expect all 4 rotors to be affected.

No cost to me. I would’ve been super pissed if they made me pay for what seems to be a manufactured defect. If it was wear I’d expect all 4 rotors to be affected.
If I were you, I’d demand a new set of pads to go with new rotors.

I'd be glad they found the problem and fixed it with a new rotor. No need for new pads if on 20% worn in my opinion.

Just not sure how the pads weren’t damaged if the rotors were pitted and out of round. I’m no mechanic but I would think one affects the other

Last edited:
Maybe brake gently for a while to help re-seat the pads to the new discs? I think I've heard sanding the pads could help if the disc had ridges.

Just not sure how the pads weren’t damaged if the rotors were pitted and out of round. I’m bi mechanic but I would think one affects the other
Exactly!

Just as a point of interest, in the future, when you take your car in for service or to diagnose an issue, it might be a good idea to set the expectation that you want to see the part being replaced, either before they replace it, or after the fact, so the shop can explain the problem to you and point out the fault. Obviously this isn't always a possibility depending on the problem or the part that needs to be replaced.

This becomes even more important when your car is out of warranty. Shops lie about the work that is being done (or needs to be done) in order to squeeze more money out of the consumer - that's just the way most shops operate. In this case, it's more about understanding the root of the problem. I would chalk this up to defective rotors for now and just keep an eye on the rotors and pads going forward.

Just not sure how the pads weren’t damaged if the rotors were pitted and out of round. I’m bi mechanic but I would think one affects the other

"I'm bi mechanic"

Not sure what that has to do with your rotors? ;)

Back